Minimalist Baker’s black bean brownies

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Minimalist Baker’s black bean brownies

Postby patty » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:18 pm

Last night I tired to make the black bean brownies, only in a glass loaf dish. Cut into squares, and they held together, though picking up they felt moist/sticky. The dough didn't have cake density. I adapted the recipes, added bananas as I was surprised the recipes called for so much sugar. Making them as pictured as cake squares would be a challenge.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby ForestGoddess » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:25 am

Lyndzie, I use applesauce in place of oil in recipes I find and I have never had a problem with the substitution. I even use it in my pizza dough recipe and have been for years. Just wanted to let you know.
ForestGoddess

Postby Willijan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 pm

Pumpkin Pete wrote:Hi,

Chef AJ has a wonderful oil free recipe for brownies.
I have made them a number of times.

I only use six ingredients in the recipe.
I have posted the recipe on my local community garden's website;
https://sites.google.com/site/qhuccommunitygarden/our-garden-recipes

Last time I made them I used the following portions;
700grams of cooked black beans.
100grams of rolled or instant oats
Dates soaked in water - the water and dates weigh 300grams
4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons of and baking powder

I bake them in a silicon tray so no oil is require and washing up is minimal. :D
I bake for about 40 minutes at 180 degrees c (that's about 355 degrees f)
They seem a little underdone when removed from the oven but once I place them in the refrigerator they firm up.
They keep well in the refrigerator for at least 10 days. I often have them at breakfast.

I just made these, as specified in the "ghucommunitygarden" link (different ingredient proportions than above), and they were delicious. The only exception was the batter wasn't quite sweet enough for me, so I added 2 Tbs. brown sugar. Next time I'll add a few more dates instead. They had great texture and great flavor. Thanks for posting this, Pumpkin Pete. I've been looking for a tasty and healthy black bean brownie recipe for a long time. This one does it for me!
Willijan

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning