Flour tortillas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Flour tortillas

Postby amccalister » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:12 pm

John and Mary McDougall mention serving bean burritos with flour tortillas as an option. The tortillas they show on the planning meals video don’t look like ezekiel which are the only totally oil free flour tortillas I know of and I don’t like them. My question is, does anyone know what they use? Or can you tell me what you use to make burritos?
amccalister

Re: Flour tortillas

Postby JeffN » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:37 pm

amccalister wrote:John and Mary McDougall mention serving bean burritos with flour tortillas as an option. The tortillas they show on the planning meals video don’t look like ezekiel which are the only totally oil free flour tortillas I know of and I don’t like them. My question is, does anyone know what they use? Or can you tell me what you use to make burritos?

The two brands of whole wheat tortillas we use and recommend are the Food For Life brand and the Engine 2 brand. They are both oil free.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby amccalister » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Alrighty, thank you. Do you have a suggestion on how to use the food for life tortillas for a burrito without it cracking?
amccalister

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:33 am

amccalister wrote:Alrighty, thank you. Do you have a suggestion on how to use the food for life tortillas for a burrito without it cracking?

You can try steaming them first.

Have you tried the Engine2 ones?

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby amccalister » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 am

I’ll give steaming them a try. Unfortunately, I don’t have a Whole Foods near me, so I’ve never tried them. I see they carry them on amazon, but currently they’re unavailable :-(
amccalister

Postby DanTheYogi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 pm

amccalister wrote:I’ll give steaming them a try. Unfortunately, I don’t have a Whole Foods near me, so I’ve never tried them. I see they carry them on amazon, but currently they’re unavailable :-(

You HAVE to heat up the tortillas first, Food For Life or Engine 2, otherwise they cannot be rolled up without breaking. I put a non-stick skillet on medium heat and heat both sides of the tortilla for 30 seconds or so. Works like a charm for Engine 2 Wheat/Brown Rice tortillas and Food For Life sprouted grain. I haven't tried microwaving or the oven but I imagine that might work as well. Experiment with it and find what works for ya! But yeah they are useless as tortillas if you try to use them cold/straight out the fridge.
DanTheYogi

Postby unschoolingme » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 am

I have to agree with amccalister. I have seen dozens of plant-based burrito recipes where all they say is to use "whole-wheat tortillas", but give no tips as to where to buy them. And they look nothing like the Ezekiel or Engine 2 ones. They look like regular flour tortillas that can actually bend into a burrito shape.

My only explanation to this mystery is that they either make an exception with oils when they use tortillas (which I'm not willing to make), or they have found a secret brand that makes really great oil-free tortillas. If anybody knows of it - please let me know! My family has been asking for burritos for ages. I can always make our own wraps, but they are never big enough and they turn a relatively easy and fast meal into a more elaborate one that I don't have the time for.
unschoolingme

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning