Panic Eating

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Panic Eating

Postby Jrlewis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:33 am

I’m a 47 yr old male and began experiencing RA symptoms about 1 month ago. I’ve had some other health issues in the past that were diet related and knew RA was linked to food and gut health. I found the McDougall plan and started immediately. Very quickly I began to see results. However, when shopping, I bought a lot of “convenience” foods that I thought would be ok on the plan. Tortilla chips, hummus, salsa, etc. When I come home after a long day of teaching, I’m so hungry that I dive into these items just to quell the hunger pangs. Symptoms began to creep back. Anyone that would like to share how they prepare for the day/week etc. to prevent this is welcome to do so. I’m hopeful I will be able to eat these things in the future but for now I think I need to stick to simple foods.
Jrlewis

Re: Panic Eating

Postby kirkj » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:58 am

I make almost everything ahead and the dishes last 4-7 day in the fridge. I end up cooking one or two things almost every day, but I seldom cook them to eat immediately. For dinner I usually have coleslaw, a cup of frozen vegetables microwaved for 2 minutes and then a serving of a "main dish" like Brussels sprouts with quinoa, Spanish rice, etc. Everything except the frozen vegetables I make ahead.

I work from home so I am able to do most of my cooking right after I get up. For someone with a more typical job, they might need to cook in the evenings or on the weekend.

I am fortunate that I don't get bored eating the same meals several days or even weeks in a row. FWIW, I stopped buying compliant crackers, salsa, hummus - even bread - because I tend to overeat them.
kirkj

Postby MINNIE » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:09 pm

I also found it best to not buy those things that I know are too easy to over do. If they're not in the house, I won't eat them:).

It's actually quite liberating!

I do stock up on starchy staples that are also quick to prepare when I am genuinely hungry and want to eat RIGHT NOW. Getting some basic starch in your stomach right away is the key
to success with this.

I think this way of eating is so great because there are no complicated rules. Organic is not required. Locally grown is not required.

You don't need to make everything from fresh raw ingredients. That's one of the many good things about theMcDougall approach. It can be as simple -and cheap- as you care to make it.

I have quick-cooking rice, frozen veggies, canned beans etc. always on hand. Also my big ol' bag of potatoes.

A potato takes a few minutes in the microwave and I can heat up canned beans or frozen broccoli while I' m waiting.

If you have time for batch cooking you will always have something ready when you get home. If not, use the convenience foods that are on plan.

Keep it simple and starchy at first, and you can always get fancier later if you want.

Keeping it simple has done wonders for me
MINNIE

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Lately I’ve been keeping two things on hand: cooked pasta and rice. Then to make a meal I just add veggies and sauce. Rice can either be tacos or stir fry, and pasta is with marinara. This way I can rotate through a couple options without getting bored.

To echo the posts above, if it’s in our house, it’s in your mouth. Don’t buy stuff you don’t want to eat.

And, part of the plan is to eat when hungry. It’s hard to make sound decisions when you’ve put it off too long. Keep an apple in your bag for the trip home from work.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Jrlewis » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:05 am

Thanks for all of the feedback!
Jrlewis

Postby victw » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:26 pm

I usually make a .5 lb of dry beans on Sundays.

I make a list when I grocery shop - with a few end meals in mind.

If I'm really on my game I pre cut carrots, jicama and other veggies for the week.

If I buy something dangerous - I limit the size and/or buy only for a specific purpose.

I don't eat anything straight out of the container. I measure things like hummus that I don't well eating from the container.

I eat more simpler than ever. I've been around these forums since their beginning. I only learned the simplicity piece last year.
I think Jeff Novick and Healthy Plate. Half veggies. 1/4 grain. 1/4 beans. And a fruit for dessert.

Your path will be different. But it's great to find a rhythm.
Best wishes on your journey.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Idgie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:30 pm

I keep cooked potatoes, sweet potatoes, and/or rice on hand all the time, but that's because I like those foods on their own. I would pick some starch that you like by itself -- that makes a great snack, and a great way to avoid getting too freaked out or hungry. (By "freaked out" I mean that panicky gotta-eat-gotta-eat feeling I get if I get home and there's nothing healthy that's ready to just shovel into my gob.)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning