Oatmeal Fat Level

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oatmeal Fat Level

Postby abrown » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Hey guys,
This is my first time posting here. I created an account mainly to ask this question. I've been following the Mcdougall plan (mostly, probably 90% compliant with occasional slip ups due to meals out with friends and family and such) for a few months. It seems to have helped a ton with insulin resistance, which I was developing.

Anyway, as the subject says, I'm curious what you guys think about oatmeal. It's my understanding that a key part of the diet is very low (by SAD standards anyway) fat consumption, and for what I'm mainly concerned about (insulin resistance) it seems that fat consumption is the main culprit. I've heard less than 10% from fat. I've heard less than 30 grams of fat (basically the same thing if you eat about 2500 calories a day, which is about where I'm at). I'm not sure what the official recommendation is, but basically really low.

Most of the starches listed in the approved foods list are really low in fat, but oatmeal seems to be an exception. Searching it on google I find that oatmeal contains 3.2g fat per 158 calorie serving or 28.8 calories from fat, which is a bit over 18% from fat. Is it generally recommended to limit oatmeal in any way in light of this (relatively speaking) high fat content? I understand how oatmeal could be a part of a wider diet where the rest of the calories were from much lower fat foods (potatoes, beans, etc...), but it seems that if someone ate oatmeal as their primary starch they would end up eating a pretty high percentage of fat. Does anyone here eat an oatmeal based diet? What has your experience been? Does the high fat content contribute to things like insulin resistance?
Thanks,
abrown

Re: Oatmeal Fat Level

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:40 pm

Enjoy the oatmeal. Don’t overthink it. Odds are you are eating about 1/2 c dry measure of oats a day. Those 3g of fat are minuscule. Keep doing what you’re doing.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Willijan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:08 pm

The google search I just did (https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... Pomln2ziKo) showed a fat percentage of 7% in raw oats.

Then I checked chronometer.com and it showed 5.3g of fat in 1 cup of raw oatmeal.

Where did you see 18% ? That does sound high, I just don't know if it's accurate. And of course, I don't know if the site I found showing 7% is accurate either. It would be nice to know.
Willijan

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:53 pm

The calculation of 18% represent calories from fat in oatmeal.
See below how this is calculated;
I have a package of rolled oats in front of me.
Per 100 grams it has 13 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat and 56 grams of carbs.
Carbs and protein each have 4 calories per grams whereas fat has 9 calories per gram.
(13 X 4) = 52, (8 X 9) = 72, (56 X 4) = 224. This adds up to 348 calories. Interestingly the package says that 100 grams of rolled oats has 372 calories - let's just call this margin for error.
We see that fat as a percentage of calories (72) of total calories (348) equals 20.7%.
Pumpkin Pete

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning