Need a Great simple MWL compliant Stir-Fry Sauce

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Need a Great simple MWL compliant Stir-Fry Sauce

Postby geo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:44 pm

As a follow up to my Marinara request, I love stir fry's as well but virtually all of the sauces are loaded with salt/MSG/soy sauce/fish/oyster sauces/etc...

Anyone got a simple one that tastes great but might be relatively salt free? It doesn't need to be a brown type sauce...it could be a sweet/sour sauce or an orange/apricot/pineapple type sauce. really anything that would go well with some stir-fried veggies. I like them a little on the thicker side if that makes a difference. I am not averse to a little salt or sugar (little meaning mwl compliant).
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Need a Great simple MWL compliant Stir-Fry Sauce

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:45 pm

I usually just use soy sauce and a sprinkle of seasame seeds, but I also love the sauce Maangchi uses on her sweet potato rice. I would probably cut back on the green onions for a stir fry.

½ cup of chopped Asian chives (can be replaced with green onions)
1 clove of minced garlic
¼ cup soy sauce
1 ts honey or sugar
2 Tbs of vinegar
1 ts of hot pepper flakes
1 Tbs of toasted sesame seeds

Combine and enjoy!

I’ve been saving this pineapple sweet and sour sauce to try but haven’t done it yet: https://www.instagram.com/lotusfoods/p/BpFqsnwFx9z/
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Need a Great simple MWL compliant Stir-Fry Sauce

Postby MikeyG » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Cathy Fisher has a no-SOS-added pineapple stir fry, if that helps with identifying an alternative:
https://www.straightupfood.com/blog/201 ... -stir-fry/

Here's a soy sauce substitute that uses vinegar, garlic, onions, and molasses:
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/so ... ium-295264

Omitting or minimizing the molasses would probably be ideal from a health standpoint, but I hope the options help.

I would definitely be interested to know if Jeff has devised an alternative for those who need or want something healthier. Thanks for asking, geo.

Like with the fake-meat vegan burgers that are still very unhealthy, it might be tough to find something that creates the same flavor and mouth experience without having to sacrifice in terms of health.
MikeyG

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning