Keeping food around

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Keeping food around

Postby amccalister » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:06 pm

What foods do you keep on hand to grab and eat quickly when you’re starving? I find myself skipping meals a lot because I’m a distracted mom of 3 young kids, then I end up reaching for things like crackers or granola bars because I need food now. For example, today I hadn’t eaten anything as of 2:30pm so I snacked on pretzels on my way to pick up my daughter from school. Then got home and ate triscuits (not the best choice, I know). What do you keep in the around for a quick meal or snack?
amccalister

Re: Keeping food around

Postby Vegankit » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:57 pm

My favorite is oven roasted Asian sweet potatoes cold from the fridge. I also like to snack on cherry tomatoes, carrots and fruit. Whole starches like potatoes are best if you are really hungry and won’t have time to eat a meal for awhile.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Michele613 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi AMc,

Big challenge...you're right. Preparation is key to success. If you enjoy fruit and veggies...that is quick. I haven't really been 'into' either but being on the MWL program I find that I gravitate to them if they are READY. I peel, cut and store a bunch of fresh carrots, celery and red peppers in jars or other container. I like 'crunchy' and so these 3 work for me as does an apple. If you need something more you might make up some oat cookies or granola to grab..keeping in mind these all need to be readily available. Some people on the program (as have I) keep baked or microwaved sweet or white potatoes on hand and they are easy to grab to go. I have a hummus dressing which I put on top and put them in a container and eat them in the car or outside wherever I am...again...preparation. Once they are in fridge it takes seconds to grab and run...and it sounds like you get your share of running. Enjoy the children..time flies...I have 3 men now and they have children of their own. Hang tough! Smile.
Michele613

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:50 pm

I totally feel you, I’m in the same boat. Today I my first meal was closer to lunch, and was whole wheat pita dipped in homemade hummus. I had an apple as an afternoon snack, then whole wheat penne with beans and veggies for dinner. I had made the pasta earlier in the week, so that was pretty much just a re-heat and serve.

My usual breakfast is oatmeal. I micriwave 1/2 c oats + 1 cup water for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 tbsp ground flax (optional), 1/2 c thawed-* frozen mixed berries and top with 1 sliced banana.

I’ll cook brown rice 2 cups at a time, and store leftovers in the fridge for a quick reheat. Target has a frozen steam-in-bag stir fry mix for 89¢ that is quick to throw on top. Lately I’ve been adding some chickpeas, too. Super not traditional, but it works. Just top with your sauce of choice and enjoy.

Of course, these are not foods you can easily eat while driving.

*we use so much of the thawed frozen fruit that I just store a 3 lb bag in the fridge. It is PERFECT this way for oatmeal.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby patty » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:55 am

A couple spoonfuls of retried beans is a quick pick up. Making rice balls, with the beans in the center work. Watching Mary's Mini webinar really brought back the memory how important boring is, by making the same commitment of eating the same starch. That same principle can be for snacks. Whatever you decide, if it is just a potato, stay with that potato, for a week or two, then choose another healthy snack for the next couple of weeks. Boredom is good especially feeling the satiety. Snacking will become less of a issue.

In Jeff Novick's shopping video, shares in reading the label, for 100 calories, no more than 20% should be for fat. Of course that is one serving. Wasa crackers are really boring but they work for a immediate crunch with cumber slices. They don't have the satiety of course.

My granddaughter peels a couple of mandarin oranges, and bags it.

Mary's Mini webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31oCHArKmhI

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Idgie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:34 pm

On the weekends, I cook some starches so I will have something to grab -- I like potatoes and sweet potatoes on their own, so they're my fave, but I'd pick the starches you like best. Other favorites of mine:

* Fruits
* Cut-up veggies
* Vegetable soup (I keep a batch in the fridge at almost all times, and a few cans of compliant soup in my pantry and in my desk drawer at work)
* Pre-cooked rice (either brown rice I've cooked myself or store-bought pouches that I keep in my desk drawer)
* Grain salads (tabouli, etc.) -- these keep a long time and are a great fresh addition to any other meal elements
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby amccalister » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I appreciate it. They all sound like really good ideas.
amccalister

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning