Salt Free Curry Spice Mix for Curried Indian Pot Stew

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Salt Free Curry Spice Mix for Curried Indian Pot Stew

Postby Raquel1002 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi all,
After watching/downloading Fast Food Vol 1, I made my first recipe (Longevity Soup) last week and still have enough (frozen) to last for lunches this coming week (made a triple batch!) Was so yummy!

At the end of this week, I'm going to make Curried Indian Potato Stew. Only I can't seem to find the Salt Free Curry Spice Mix anywhere. Wondering, can I simply use enough Curry Powder, to taste? When I read 'Spice Mix' it sounds to me like it's a mix of curry plus other ingredients.

Also: I'm using all frozen veggies as the recipes call for. But if I'm then cooking, and freezing the previously frozen veg, doesn't that denature the veggies? Just wondering.

Thanks again Jeff for these delicious, easy to make recipes!

When I get a sec I will share a Veggie Chili recipe; the mix of spices makes it abstolutely stupendous! (Lots of fennel if you like that!)
Raquel1002

Re: Salt Free Curry Spice Mix for Curried Indian Pot Stew

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Raquel, it sounds like you are really getting the hang of it, and finding your groove!

You can definitely use curry powder - that’s what he’s referring to. Curry powder is just a blend of herbs and spices. If you don’t have any curry powder, you can make your own blend, like this one: https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/homem ... ry-powder/

You can definitely freeze your leftovers. Denaturing is not a concern.

I just made a double batch of the pasta primavera. So great to heat up for a quick meal. Keep on rocking it!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Raquel1002 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks Lyndzie~!
Really appreciate it! And yes, I'm finding my groove - getting my life back!
Can't wait to try pasta primavera!!
Raquel1002

Postby Daydream » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 pm

My favorite salt-free curry is "Sweet Curry" from Penzeys Spices. I like it because it isn't too spicy-hot (my mouth is sensitive to spicy-hot food). It's this one:
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ ... p-108/pd-s
Daydream

Postby Raquel1002 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:25 pm

The Curried Indian Pot Stew was fabulous! Only it was really hard to get the right amount of curry. I made a single batch as Jeff lays it out, and kept adding the curry powder. I probably could've just put the whole darn jar in there! But I'll know for next time.

I'm also finding what works for me is to add more veg even, so that it's really chunky and I have lots of servings to freeze.

I also noticed that when it comes to white potato, I get overly full if I eat a whole one (weighs about 8 oz) compared to when I eat a whole sweet potato. Not sure why, but I learned a big lesson. Couldn't figure why I was so bloated and overly full after my lunches then it hit me and the following days I split the bowl of 8oz pot to 4 oz each (I prefer to keep my grain separate so there is more room for the veg in the pot). Is there any reason for this? Maybe more carb in the white pot? Fortunately, I worked it off with exercise and was fine next day.

This week I'm going to try the Mexican dish.

I must admit I was really hesitant re: frozen veg ie, whether I'd like them or not, but it's the spices that do the trick for sure. The only things I'm still cutting up are Vadalia Onion (love these fresh!!), celery, and radish. Other than that, it's all frozen and no more salads for now which take me 1/2 hour to eat at work! Don't miss them (but prob will start eating them again come summer).

Really happy with this ease compared to what I'd been doing!!! And, I'm saving money!
Raquel1002

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning