Can you eat too much manganese?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can you eat too much manganese?

Postby GeorgiaBuck » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:33 pm

So I have been using the chronometer app a good bit lately (still learning functionality) and noticed it has my manganese intake above the daily recommended amount. It says 11mg is the max but have been averaging between 12-13 a day. The majority of that coming from my big bowl of steel cut oats in the morning (I eat 1 cup dry daily which is roughly 4 cups cooked) with blueberries and ground flax. Should I cut my intake down? Thanks again!
GeorgiaBuck

Re: Can you eat too much manganese?

Postby DanTheYogi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi GeorgiaBuck,

No, you have nothing to worry about. You can't eat too much manganese found in its natural form (foods). It would only be potentially dangerous if you were taking supplements.

While I am not eating as much oatmeal these days, there was a time period where I was eating 3 cups (or more) of cooked oat groats every morning, on top of regular oatmeal in smoothies/desserts and sometimes as a snack itself! My manganese must have been through the roof. :mrgreen:
DanTheYogi

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 am

Agree 100% with Dan. There are quite a few nutrients that can be problematic if you consume too much, iron, iodine, copper...... BUT so long as your intake is from 1) a variety of whole plant foods and 2) not from supplements, no worries.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeorgiaBuck » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:51 am

Great news!! I love my big morning bowl of oatmeal so I was hoping that wasn't a problem. The only supplement I am taking is B12 and trying to get everything else from food and the sun. Thanks for the help!
GeorgiaBuck

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning