favorite cookbook

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

favorite cookbook

Postby Shari_in_SD » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:44 am

Hello and happy holidays!

I really would like a new cookbook for Christmas. I have Straight Up Food and the new Vegan 8 cookbook. I just got an Instant Pot but it doesn't have to be for the instant pot. So based on this what would your favorite cookbook be?

Thanks so much for your help. There are so many out there it is hard to narrow it down.

Shari in SD
Shari_in_SD

Re: favorite cookbook

Postby spinner » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:59 am

My most frequently used cookbook these days is Vegan Under Pressure by Jill Nussinow.

https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Under-Pres ... 5046&psc=1

I use this more as a reference for times and quantities for my Instant Pot. Instant Pots are great for cooking grains, dried beans, and soups. Happy cooking!
spinner

Postby Yomom » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Sharri and Spinner, I absolutely agree with your picks of Straight Up Food and Vegan Under Pressure.
Kathy
Yomom

Postby Vegankit » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Shari, I love to borrow cookbooks from the library - test some recipes, read through the book and make sure there is enough of interest to me before I purchase it. Or one could go to a book store and peruse through the cookbooks.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:43 am

I like America’s Test Kitchen’s Vegan for Everybody. It does require adjusting for oil and salt, but does have valuable information about nondairy milks and cooking with aquafaba. I had borrowed it from the library first, and really liked it.

I asked for the new cookbook from Forks Over Knives, Flavors, for Christmas this year. I flipped through it at the bookstore and it has many recipes I want to try.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Plumerias » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 am

I'm with Vegankit on the library borrowing.

This time of the year (winter in the northern hemisphere) I am particularly fond of Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons. Also Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian.
Plumerias

Postby Idgie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:45 pm

I'm going through the Forks Over Knives: Flavors cookbook and bookmarking things that are MWL-compliant. It's not a large percentage, but I plan to try making at least some of them.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Tinks » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:22 pm

I really like Mary McDOUGALL'S recipes, have a few of her books and get recipes off here. a favourite is her Veggies Benedict,
Tinks

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:08 pm

I recently bought the new Forks Over Knives Flavors cookbook and really like it. I made the Spanish Tortilla recipe for a recent potluck at our home and I liked the way it came out. I think the book is worth the price. I'm a cookbook junkie, and a good cook. I like a cookbook that gives me some new and interesting techniques, not 10 recipes for soups or salads I could have figured out easily myself. Always looking for something delicious and visually interesting to serve my guests whether they are McDougallers or omnivores.

But, if you want a good basic cookbook, Joy of Cooking can't be beat.
Vanilla Orchid

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning