Add Your Favorite Soup Recipes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Add Your Favorite Soup Recipes

Postby moonlight » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Roasted Celery Soup
• 8 large celery stalks cut into 2 inch pieces
• 1/2 bulb fresh fennel cut into 2 inch chunks
• 2 large whole garlic cloves
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 3 medium redskin potatoes, peeled and cut into a 1 1/2 inch dice
• 6 cups veggie broth (I like to use the liquid from cooking beans)
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• Salt and pepper for re seasoning if needed
• Celery leaves and fennel fronds for a little garnish
1. Place the cut celery, fennel and cloves of garlic in a 9x13 inch roasting pan. Add the salt, pepper. Roast in a 350F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the edges of the vegetables just begin to brown.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, cook the potatoes in the veggie broth until tender... about 10 to 12 minutes. Set the pan aside to cool a bit.
3. When the vegetables have finished roasting add them to the potatoes and broth. Let everything cool a bit.
4. In a blender puree 1/2 of the soup. Once pureed, return the soup to the pot and bring up to the boil. Stir in the lemon juice. Re season if needed and garnish each bowl with celery leaves and fennel fronds if you like.
5. NOTE: For a little more pronounced celery flavor add a pinch or two of celery seed or salt when re seasoning.
My notes after making it: chop veggies into smaller pieces either before or after roasting - 2 inch chunks in soup are too big. I blended all of it. I like it with and without the added lemon juice.
moonlight

Re: Add Your Favorite Soup Recipes

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:19 pm

A local restaurant makes a vegetable soup that I love. Recently on a trip through the frozen vegggies section of Walmart I found a bag of frozen veggies that has almost everything in it.

64 oz low sodium V8 or your favorite vegetable juice
1 bag Pictsweet Vegetables for soup
1 can NSA kidney beans, drained
Chopped cabbage

Get out your stock pot. Toss everything and simmer until cabbage is cooked. I like it with a healthy dose of black pepper.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Daydream » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Oh, I LOVE soup! Moonlight, thank you for starting this thread.
Daydream

Postby Vegankit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 am

I love this soup that HappyTummy posted viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51895&p=531356&hilit=greek+soup#p531356

I've made it with various veggies and changed the spices - it's a great template for making soup in the instant pot.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby moonlight » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Thank you to those who posted. I love soup. I love new recipe ideas! I'm needing a change from tomato based soups, which I love so much. Here's the one I plan to make today. I love thyme in soup! Here's the link to the website where I found the recipe:
https://beansriceeverythingnice.weebly. ... free-vegan

Broccoli Chowder

1 large or 2 small leeks, white and light green parts, coarsely chopped
1 cup diced celery, about 3 stalks
1 cup diced carrots, about 2 medium carrots
2 cloves minced garlic
4 cups cubed red potatoes, about 3 medium or 4 small potatoes
6 cups diced broccoli, 1 large or 2 small heads
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons dried thyme, leaves or powder
6 cups water
a large handful or parsley or spinach
salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large cooking pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the prepared leeks, celery, and carrots along with a splash of water. Steam saute until the leeks are limp. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the cubed potatoes and 6 cups of water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the pot boils, turn off the heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Prepare the broccoli while you wait. After 20 minutes, add the diced broccoli, garlic powder, onion powder and dried thyme. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes—until the potatoes are very soft. Add half the solids in the soup to a blender along with 1 cup of the cooking liquid and a large handful of parsley or spinach. Puree until smooth. Add the puree back to the soup pot and stir while gently reheating over medium-low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
moonlight

Postby f00die » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:20 pm

heres something i eat very often
feel great on it
more of a template than a recipe:

combine in a slow cooker
equal parts
hulled barley (groats)
oat groats
buckwheat
wheat berries
rye berries
2-3 diced sweet potatoes
enough water so it stirs easily (otherwise its not a soup)
cook 4 hours or more
season to taste when eating
eat with some greens on the side

i look forward to eating this stuff
its hard to adequately describe
the wholesome satisfaction
it produces
f00die

Postby Daydream » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:55 pm

f00die wrote:season to taste when eating

That's an interesting combination. What do you season it with?
Daydream

Postby moonlight » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:49 am

Lyndzie wrote:I abhor cooked carrots, but love them as a soup. The secret to success is to peel the carrots. The peels have a bitter flavor that will overwhelm the soup. Trust me on this, just take the two minutes and peel the carrots.

CARROT GINGER SOUP
2 lbs carrots, peeled
1-2 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 onion, rough chop (optional)
1-2 cloves garlic (optional)
Water

Put all ingredients in a pot with just enough water (you can always add more later). Simmer until veggies are soft. Purée in blender, add water if needed (careful, it’s hot!). So simple, and so delicious!

I saw Lindsey's post about her carrot soup. I made this yesterday. I added two medium sweet potatoes to give it some sweetness and a little more starch. Very good and very pretty!!
moonlight

Postby f00die » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Daydream wrote:
f00die wrote:season to taste when eating

That's an interesting combination. What do you season it with?

depends on what im doing
ive eaten it plain
sugar
salt
salt+dried ground peppers (black, cayenne)
homemade salsa (onions, tomatoes, cilantro, green cayenne chilis, grated carrots, lemon juice)
broth made with aromatic veggies
etc
f00die

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks for the positive review, moonlight! It warms my heart. So glad you liked it.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby moonlight » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I LOVE this soup by Susan Voisin! Check out her website. Here's the link to this soup:
https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/03/c ... -soup.html
Collard Greens and White Bean Soup
You can cut the time in half by using a pressure cooker, but stove top works just as well.
•1 large onion chopped
• 3-4 cloves garlic minced
• 1-1 1/2 pounds collards, kale, chard, or other greens tough ribs discarded and leaves chopped
• 2 ribs celery chopped
• 2 carrots sliced about 1/4-inch thick
• 4 cups fat-free vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 2 15-ounce cans white beans such as Great Northern beans, drained
• 2-4 cups water or vegetable broth
• 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
• 1 teaspoon thyme additional
• 1/4-1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika or chipotle chili powder adjust to your personal heat level
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• vegan Parmesan optional
1. Heat a pressure cooker and add onion. Cook, stirring, until onion is tender, adding water by
the tablespoon to prevent sticking. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the next 5
ingredients into pressure cooker and seal. Bring to high pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and release pressure manually. (Set manual setting on electric pressure
cooker for 5 minutes then quick release pressure. If cooking without a pressure cooker, cook
covered in a large pot until collards are tender, about 30 minutes.)
2. Add the beans, 2 cups of water or broth, and the remaining seasonings. Simmer for at least 20
minutes to allow flavors to combine. (Use saute or brown setting on electric pressure cooker
on lowest temperature available.) While cooking, add additional water or broth if the soup
seems too dry. Serve topped with vegan parmesan, if desired.

Nutrition Serving: 1serving | Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 44mg |Fiber: 11g

Recipe copyright FatFree Vegan Kitchen.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:36 pm

This thread may be turning into my own personal soup index. I read about wonderful soups then when I want to make them I can't find the recipe... Here's one that several people have praised:

https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/03/cabbage-noodle-soup.html
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:53 pm

I made this soup a couple of days ago. Very very Good!!

moonlight wrote: Here's the link to the website where I found the recipe:
https://beansriceeverythingnice.weebly. ... free-vegan

Broccoli Chowder

1 large or 2 small leeks, white and light green parts, coarsely chopped
1 cup diced celery, about 3 stalks
1 cup diced carrots, about 2 medium carrots
2 cloves minced garlic
4 cups cubed red potatoes, about 3 medium or 4 small potatoes
6 cups diced broccoli, 1 large or 2 small heads
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons dried thyme, leaves or powder
6 cups water
a large handful or parsley or spinach
salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large cooking pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the prepared leeks, celery, and carrots along with a splash of water. Steam saute until the leeks are limp. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the cubed potatoes and 6 cups of water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the pot boils, turn off the heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Prepare the broccoli while you wait. After 20 minutes, add the diced broccoli, garlic powder, onion powder and dried thyme. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes—until the potatoes are very soft. Add half the solids in the soup to a blender along with 1 cup of the cooking liquid and a large handful of parsley or spinach. Puree until smooth. Add the puree back to the soup pot and stir while gently reheating over medium-low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:11 pm

I'm making this for the second time. It's a real keeper! You just need to find fresh fennel, which can be tricky.

Roasted Celery Soup
• 8 large celery stalks cut into 2 inch pieces
• 1/2 bulb fresh fennel cut into 2 inch chunks
• 2 large whole garlic cloves
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 3 medium redskin potatoes, peeled and cut into a 1 1/2 inch dice
• 6 cups veggie broth (I like to use the liquid from cooking beans)
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• Salt and pepper for re seasoning if needed
• Celery leaves and fennel fronds for a little garnish
1. Place the cut celery, fennel and cloves of garlic in a 9x13 inch roasting pan. Add the salt, pepper. Roast in a 350F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the edges of the vegetables just begin to brown.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, cook the potatoes in the veggie broth until tender... about 10 to 12 minutes. Set the pan aside to cool a bit.
3. When the vegetables have finished roasting add them to the potatoes and broth. Let everything cool a bit.
4. In a blender puree 1/2 of the soup. Once pureed, return the soup to the pot and bring up to the boil. Stir in the lemon juice. Re season if needed and garnish each bowl with celery leaves and fennel fronds if you like.
5. NOTE: For a little more pronounced celery flavor add a pinch or two of celery seed or salt when re seasoning.
My notes after making it: chop veggies into smaller pieces either before or after roasting - 2 inch chunks in soup are too big. I blended all of it. I like it with and without the added lemon juice.
moonlight

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning