Ditched oil - hungry all the time

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ditched oil - hungry all the time

Postby bg-shebek » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 am

Until recently I was eating close to WFBP, but I was using oils to cook my meals and to make salads.

Since 10 days I'm oil free, very happy about it but I'm hungry mostly all the time. After I eat a meal I feel satiated only for about 1 or 2 hours, then I get really hungry and I have to eat again. I don't worry about gaining weight this way, I'm a very thin guy, the problem is I am feeling hungry.

I can prepare only one type of meal so far, but I like it. It's 300g boiled potatoes, about 100g brown rice or buckwheat, 5-10 olives, the rest is chopped raw vegetables - carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, cauliflower etc. The whole thing is 550g (1.21lb) and 72% of it is starch. Before the change I was eating the same portion sizes and didn't have this problem.

One day I tried substituting butter beans for the grains and I was satiated for a little longer, but not enough at all.

Can I do something about this? Thank you in advance!
bg-shebek

Re: Ditched oil - hungry all the time

Postby f00die » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 pm

eat more food generally
increase starch portions
maybe by 200g more boiled potatoes
just to throw out a number
f00die

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:12 pm

We’re all different, but I think Foodie’s recommendation is solid. As a point of reference, I usually eat a pound of starch at a meal, and I weigh 110-ish lbs (and I’m female). Try increasing the starch. Yesterday at lunch I ate roughly 3 cups cooked rice topped with a 20 ounce bag of previously frozen stir fry veggie mix.

Another idea, if you are ok with the increased fat content, is adding 1/4 an avocado to your meal. You’ll get the added richness without the oil. But then again, you’re already including olives, which are pretty rich. Keep experimenting, you’ll figure out what works for you.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Idgie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 pm

The thing I love most about this diet (okay, way of eating, if you want) is that the answer to hunger is EAT MORE. :-)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:49 am

Just retreading your post. If you are eating the same amount if food, but got rid of the oil, it makes sense to be hungry. Think about it: 1 tbsp if oil is 120 cal. If you are eating 2 tbsp of oil a day, suddenly you are eating 240 less calories a day. If you add in 1 cup of beans, that would increase your calories and add a yummy food.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning