ISO Hannakah Recipes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

ISO Hannakah Recipes

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Anyone have a favorite latke or matzo soup recipe? Any other traditional Jewish Foods I should give a try?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: ISO Hannakah Recipes

Postby Michele613 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 pm

Did you ever find a compliant recipe for Chanukah? What about a compliant one for potato kugel?
Michele613

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:11 pm

I found a video on YouTube of Miyam Bailik making latkes from a box and tried that out. Also found an oil-Free matzo ball mix. Waaaaaay too salty, but a start, especially since I’ve never had latkes or made matzo balls at home, soI didn’t know what to strive for. If you find any good recipes, let me know!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:15 pm

A quick google search found a peta recipe that bakes the Kugel in a muffin tin. I’d just skip the oil, or sub water. https://www.peta.org/recipes/egg-free-potato-kugels/
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Vegankit » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:16 pm

I made matzoh balls today using this recipe for Vegan Matzo Balls (With a Gluten-Free Variation) by Nava Atlas https://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/reci ... s.lEnmr30u I made the gluten free version although I think using matzoh would be better. As in most recipes trying to recreate a wheat based food using non-gluten flour is never quite as good. They held together nicely in the soup - add them just before eating. I did leave mine in the oven for longer than the recipe suggested - and I turned the heat off and let them cool in the oven.

I added a little onion and garlic powder (no salt) but I found them a little bland. I think using matzoh will make them less bland. Next time I make them I plan to add some fresh dill into the matzoh ball mix. I did have dill in my soup. My chickenless soup was simply lots of carrots and celery with a large sweet onion and some spiced cooked in an instant pot. As soon as the lid can be lifted, I added in some nutritional yeast and fresh dill and allowed it to cook briefly before serving.

I may try this recipe for kugel - looks cute https://www.vegannie.com/appetizers-sid ... ugel-cups/

A sweet potato carrot tzimmes is pretty easy to make fat free. Nava Atlas has one that it's easy to just leave out the oil https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/ ... -passover/

If you have some special recipe, you can always post it here and ask for help in how to adapt it to this way of eating.
Last edited by Vegankit on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:31 am

Jeff has a recipe for tzimmes in his Fast Food 4 DVD.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Michele613 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:11 am

Well I am sure looking forward to trying some of these recipes....matzah balls sound inviting in this cold weather. Keep me posted if you find your trials have turned out yummy. Tzimmes? Yeah...that is doable...maybe add some apples instead of high CD prunes or raisins. Thanks for these posts.
Michele613

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning