fresh cranberries

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

fresh cranberries

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:46 am

I always love seeing the fresh cranberries each time they appear before Thanksgiving. And I buy a bag and freeze a bag...and do that a couple of times, just because the season is pretty short.

I eat some raw, put them in quick breads and stuffing, and cook them with apples for a "dessert". But I'd love to find even more ways to use them. Any ideas? By the way, I intend to get our bread maker up and running again and make regular bread (non quick) with some cranberries. Years ago I used to include them in our juicing regime, too.

Thanks, in advance! :)
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Re: fresh cranberries

Postby Idgie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:12 am

When figs are in season, I make a cranberry-fig jam. I also used to love Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish, but it has sour cream in it. I've been meaning to try it without the sour cream and see if I still like it. I don't care for just plain cranberry sauce. I mean, I can eat it, but it's not a treat.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby dempseygirl » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:07 pm

I make steel cut oats with apples and cranberries. Yummy.
dempseygirl

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:05 pm

This is an incredible recipe. Simple, fast, everybody loves it. My hard core, SAD eating, super finicky mother-in-law went back for 3rds

Chef AJ's ~ 5 Minute Cranberry Relish
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:09 am

I was thinking that I have put them with sweet potatoes + also with butternut squash in the past. Thinking also about trying to make oatmeal cranberry cookies, granola, and bars.

Idgie wrote:When figs are in season, I make a cranberry-fig jam. I also used to love Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish, but it has sour cream in it. I've been meaning to try it without the sour cream and see if I still like it. I don't care for just plain cranberry sauce. I mean, I can eat it, but it's not a treat.

Mmm...cranberries + figs. Sounds like a great combo! Is this a raw jam that you make? Otherwise, could you use dried figs that have been soaked in water to rehydrate?

Please let us know if you make the relish without the sour cream + how you like it--thanks. :)

dempseygirl wrote:I make steel cut oats with apples and cranberries. Yummy.

Yum, great idea; I will try it--thanks!

GeoffreyLevens wrote:This is an incredible recipe. Simple, fast, everybody loves it. My hard core, SAD eating, super finicky mother-in-law went back for 3rds

Chef AJ's ~ 5 Minute Cranberry Relish

Wow! That is a simple recipe + also sounds good. Your SAD eating mother-in-law going for 3rds speaks volumes--thank you!
Mom+Me

Postby squealcat » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:38 am

I have two bags of cranberries in the freezer and printed out Chef Aj's cranberry relish....time to make it !

Also cranberry and figs !! Sounds delicious ! Maybe I will use this combo for the second bag ! Thanks Idgie !!

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby MINNIE » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:12 pm

I used to make a simple pancake topping, or cranberry "sauce" for greens or whatever.

It's just simmering raw cranberries in good-quality unsweetened apple cider (or other fruit juice) until the berries soften and break up a bit. You can blend or puree this, or use it as is. The sweetness from the apples balances the acidity s0mewhat. (This may be too acidic for some people, so I suggest trying a tiny test batch first).

A little cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice is good. Those who use sweeteners can sweeten if desired - i just eat it as is.
MINNIE

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:48 am

MINNIE--Please accept my apologies for taking so long to acknowledge your post. Everything's been good, but unexpectedly busier than I thought it would be after Thanksgiving.

Thank you so much for your excellent idea of cranberries cooked in apple cider, etc.. I'll be experimenting! :thumbsup:
Mom+Me

Postby calvin » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 pm

My freezer is filling up with cranberries...there isn't anything i don't add them to. I should be good thru Feb. 8)
calvin

Postby Wonderbugg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:55 am

Add frozen cranberries to your blender. Blend with cranberry juice or vanilla flavored almond milk. Blend until you have a heavenly sorbet. Sweeten to taste.
Orange juice might work too.
Also, I throw a few frozen cranberries into smoothies.
Yum.
Wonderbugg

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning