Santa Fe Bean Co Culinary Refried Beans

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Santa Fe Bean Co Culinary Refried Beans

Postby J-Mac » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Hello McDougallers,

I know Santa Fe Bean Co Culinary Refried Beans, a dehydrated bean product with just dehydrated black bean flakes and nothing else (no salt!) has been unavailable for a while. I ordered it from Amazon in the past and relied on it heavily in cooking/eating. I know from comments on Amazon and FB that I am not the only one wondering where they went and why we can't order them on Amazon now. The company site also doesn't list the product (but it may not list all). This was an excellent product and the company said it was a good seller--anyone know what happened or know if they are or will be available?
J-Mac

Re: Santa Fe Bean Co Culinary Refried Beans

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:38 am

I just sent the company an email and asked. Being the weekend I probably won't hear back until Monday or later.

In the meantime, I did look at their other products, and Amazon does have in smaller packets labeled Instant, Fat-Free Vegetarian Refried Beans that are just the pinto beans plus salt, and the plain pinto beans that are without salt but whole beans. Avoid the Southwest version - that has oil.

Jeff Novick posted a recipe on Facebook a few years ago using dehydrated pinto beans
https://www.facebook.com/JeffNovickRD/posts/10156410406145125
and said to run the whole dehydrated beans through a food processor to break them down a bit before cooking. You can do that with these beans to make the refried, too, or just go to one of the places Jeff recommended, like Harmony House, and buy the beans in bulk and process a whole container down to powder in batches so it's ready when you are to make into refried beans. Would be a little more work, but probably cheaper than the small foil packs from Amazon.
VeggieSue

Postby J-Mac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Thank you--a great suggestion!
J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:11 am

Hello everyone--
They are now available on Amazon! I guess I just needed to be patient. :o
Anyway, I am really glad these can be used again--they are perfect and have so many uses.
J-Mac

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:55 am

J-Mac wrote:They are now available on Amazon! I guess I just needed to be patient. :o

I see you beat me to it. The email from Amazon came through at 4:41am this morning. Stock up now before they run out again. :D

And I never did hear back from the company from that email I sent them. Oh, well.
VeggieSue

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning