How do you store cooked beans?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How do you store cooked beans?

Postby Vegankit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:33 am

I've been cooking dry beans in my Instant Pot in large batches. I measure out approximately 3.5 cups of beans into Ziploc freezer bags and store them in the freezer until needed. 3.5 cups is equal to content of most canned beans and often what recipe will call for so it's a convenient size.

I'm wondering how other people who cook beans store them? Is there a better solution than Ziploc freezer bags.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Re: How do you store cooked beans?

Postby JeffN » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:25 am

1 quart Glass Bell Mason Jars, or Glass Pyrex containers.

A ~15 oz can of beans is about 1 to 1.5 cups of beans depending on whether you include the liquid or not.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Vegankit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:26 am

JeffN wrote:1 quart Glass Bell Mason Jars, or Glass Pyrex containers.

A ~15 oz can of beans is about 1 to 1.5 cups of beans depending on whether you include the liquid or not.

In Health
Jeff
Oops, I had a typo - I'm measuring out 1.5 cups.

I hadn't though to use mason jars - thanks, I think that's the solution.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Yomom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:28 pm

As the only McDougaller in my household, I store my cooked beans (from IP) in 1/2 to 1 cup sized servings in the freezer. I use either ziploc bags, or plastic containets, or small glass bowls with snap-on lids.
Yomom

Postby DanTheYogi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 pm

I typically store cooked beans in the fridge in an airtight container, but I always eat them in 5-7 days. Never had any issues. I've occasionally thrown some out when it has been around a week and I notice a funny smell.

I've never used my freezer for storing beans, simply because I barely have enough room for all the frozen fruit and veg I buy as is. :)
DanTheYogi

Postby exercise_guru » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 am

I scoop 1.5 cup in a freezer pint/quart baggie and lay it flat until it freezes in the freezer then I put the flat bags together in a larger Ziploc and store them all together in the freezer When I empty the beans I just put the baggie back in the Ziploc and re-use it for a new batch once I run out. Right now in my freezer I have four kinds of beans and two lentils. The key is freezing them flat with a tiny bit of the water from the beans. It makes them compact and easy to store.
exercise_guru

Postby calvin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:52 pm

There's enough plastic in the world. I cook a small pot of beans. I have a serving on my entree. The rest stays in the pot, covered, in the fridge, and next day I'll probably have another serving out of the pot including the liquor. Water is then added to what's left in the pot enough to cover the beans and returned to the fridge. Rinse and repeat. They will keep that way a LONG time, by just changing the water. Mother Earth needs all the help she can get, folks.
calvin

Postby Vegankit » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:47 pm

exercise_guru wrote:I scoop 1.5 cup in a freezer pint/quart baggie and lay it flat until it freezes in the freezer then I put the flat bags together in a larger Ziploc and store them all together in the freezer When I empty the beans I just put the baggie back in the Ziploc and re-use it for a new batch once I run out. Right now in my freezer I have four kinds of beans and two lentils. The key is freezing them flat with a tiny bit of the water from the beans. It makes them compact and easy to store.
exercise_guru, this is exactly what I've been doing.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Vegankit » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:51 pm

calvin wrote:There's enough plastic in the world. I cook a small pot of beans. I have a serving on my entree. The rest stays in the pot, covered, in the fridge, and next day I'll probably have another serving out of the pot including the liquor. Water is then added to what's left in the pot enough to cover the beans and returned to the fridge. Rinse and repeat. They will keep that way a LONG time, by just changing the water. Mother Earth needs all the help she can get, folks.
Calvin, I like your thinking. But we don't eat beans often and I find it easier to cook the whole bag of dried beans, especially since I'm cooking the beans with some veggies.

I would imagine the changing the water you are storing your cooking beans, that some of the flavor leaches out along with some nutrients?
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby calvin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Not really. The beans are cooked and no longer exchanging significant amounts of ingredients with the surroundings. Just keep 'em under water and covered, bad stuff can't grow on them.
calvin

Postby exercise_guru » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 am

I do worry about the ziploc type baggies and the environment. Luckily they do recycle them in our area so I am not putting them in the ocean. Being as frugal as I possibly can I do reuse them over and over again with ease. But if your freezer is large enough there is absolutely no reason you couldn't just put them in
Chillz Blox Large Ice Cube Tray Set - Silicone Ice Mold Maker - Molds 8 X 2 Inch Ice Cubes (2 Pack)https://www.amazon.com/Chillz-Blox-Large-Cube-Whiskey/dp/B00S6TU5RA/ref=asc_df_B00S6TU5RA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216530079733&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15365121822333670710&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029600&hvtargid=pla-350061034443&psc=1

until they are frozen and then just pile them up in a container in your freezer. They make those cube trays in all sizes and I could see them being very easy to freeze prep in and then significantly reduce the plastic. I just can't figure out how to fit cubes in my freezer and need things to store flat like a deck of cards. I do use those trays for broth though as its just awesome and I use small icecube trays for herbs and sauces.

I love to cook beans once and eat them over a month. I make a bunch of different kinds and then thaw and use them for various recipes.
exercise_guru

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning