Rinsing canned beans

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rinsing canned beans

Postby grangran7 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:34 pm

I must be overlooking something somewhere. Why are we to rinse the liquid off the canned beans? When we soak and cook our beans from dried to ready to eat, are we not to consume the liquid from those beans? Please explain and please be kind. Thanks!!
grangran7

Re: Rinsing canned beans

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:50 pm

grangran7 wrote:I must be overlooking something somewhere. Why are we to rinse the liquid off the canned beans? When we soak and cook our beans from dried to ready to eat, are we not to consume the liquid from those beans? Please explain and please be kind. Thanks!!

If the canned beans have salt, draining/rinsing helps remove some of that. Also, some people who have problems with gas caused by beans find that not using the liquid in canned beans can help with that. When I cook beans from dry, I always discard the soaking liquid, rinse, and then cook the beans in fresh water.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:56 pm

Agnes just said exactly what I would have said. Great minds!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:00 pm

As above AND depends on the person. I consume all the liquid though I do not buy canned beans that contain added salt. I often cook dried beans in extra water because I like the thick, starchy liquid as part of my veg/bean stews; it acts as sort of a sauce when combined w/ spices.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:35 pm

It is much cheaper to buy beans, peas and lentils in bulk, soak them overnight and simmer them for about 20 minutes in the morning (pressure cooker is not needed).
colonyofcells

Postby f1jim » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:09 pm

For me it's all about salt. I usually by no salt or low salt beans and if they are low salt I rinse them thoroughly. I don't usually bother with no salt beans. Same with caned corn.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Vegankit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 am

I agree with what others have posted. Some people have trouble digesting beans, especially if they aren’t used to eating beans regularly. But others have no problems so if the beans and don’t need the liquid drained.

I cook dry beans in my instant pot without pre-soaking. I keep the liquid the beans cooked in unless the recipe requires only the beans and no additional liquid.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby countryautumns » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 am

I never soak beans. I read something years ago, pre internet :) that said soaking had little to no effect re gas. It's about how much you eat them and your body becomes accustomed to digesting the couple of sugars in beans, that are hard to digest. I make large pots of pinto beans (my favorite), don't add salt, and cook for.. gosh I think 6-7 hrs with the lid half on. makes the juice as thick as a gravy. i used to add salt years ago, at the beginning, and it didn't keep them from getting tender, but I don't nowadays. When they're done I serve them over brown rice or mashed potatoes. great comfort food
countryautumns

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 pm

countryautumns wrote:I never soak beans. I read something years ago, pre internet :) that said soaking had little to no effect re gas. It's about how much you eat them and your body becomes accustomed to digesting the couple of sugars in beans, that are hard to digest. I make large pots of pinto beans (my favorite), don't add salt, and cook for.. gosh I think 6-7 hrs with the lid half on. makes the juice as thick as a gravy. i used to add salt years ago, at the beginning, and it didn't keep them from getting tender, but I don't nowadays. When they're done I serve them over brown rice or mashed potatoes. great comfort food

I've been eating beans for over 50 years. One would think my body would have adjusted to them by now. :lol: Some sugars (oligosaccharides) the body can't digest. These are fermented by bacteria in the large bowel. That fermentation process produces gas.

For me, gas is worse with canned beans, with or without the liquid. I get more gas from white beans like navy or great northern, and canned baked beans are probably the worst gas producer.

http://www.nutrientsreview.com/carbs/so ... scose.html

I think I regularly eat a lot of foods that cause gas, not just beans. I just live with it. It's really only very bothersome when gas keeps me awake at night.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning