Oil Free Hummus Recipes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oil Free Hummus Recipes

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 am

I love hummus and am looking for tahini-free and oil free recipes.

I have one recipe that is super yummy, so I'll share it below. But please add yours if you have an oil free and seed free hummus! I eat too much hummus so I don't want to worry about the extra fat and calories from seeds. So please, no nuts, seeds or tahini in it. This is for MWL followers also.

My red bell pepper hummus recipe:

1 can chickpeas, drain and rinse
veggie broth - quantity in instructions below
half a lemon
1 red bell pepper, cut and toasted in toaster oven
garlic salt (optional)

Put the chickpeas in the blender. Add red bell pepper toasted slices. Add juice of half a lemon (or go ahead with a whole lemon if you really like lemon). Watch out for lemon seeds, best to juice the lemon in a bowl and then pour it in. Add veggie broth to level where chickpeas are. Blend. Add more veggie broth if needed for consistency. Add garlic salt, a few shakes, to taste.

This turns out super yummy, especially with baby carrots!

Please share your hummus recipes below. Thanks! :-D
Caroveggie

Re: Oil Free Hummus Recipes

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:32 pm

My go-to recipe:

3 cups (or 2 cans) garbanzos, rinsed/drained (you can save the aquafaba if you want; I generally don't)
1 to 2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. salt, optional
juice of 1 lemon
1 to 4 roasted red peppers, depending on how big they are and how many I have handy

Blend for at least 2 minutes, until really smooth.

No tahini or oil required.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Heads up. The Fall 2018 Forks Over Knives magazine has six oil-free hummus recipes. All of them use canned garbanzo beans and lime juice. I haven't tried any of these yet. I generally lean toward a roasted garlic or classic hummus with some tahini in it.

1. Artichoke Hummus with Fresh Basil [calls for a can of artichoke hearts and 1/2 cup basil]
2. Curried Roasted Carrot Hummus [I don't know why it's called "roasted" when the carrots are simmered on stove top.]
3. Emerald Hummus with Fresh Herbs [contains fresh spinach, cilantro, parsley, green onion, and chives].
4. Roasted Red Pepper Hummus [calls for a 12-oz jar roasted red sweet peppers]
5. Green Pea Hummus with Fresh Mint [calls for 1/2 cup frozen peas and lemon zest]
6. Classic Light Hummus [the only one that calls for tahini]
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:54 pm

Cool; thanks for the tip! I've been planning to get that magazine as soon as I hit my next 5-pound milestone. (I buy myself a book or magazine every 5 pounds.)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
Idgie

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:52 pm

Wow, thank you both! I need to get that magazine! I love hummus and 6 recipes I can eat sounds great! Thanks a lot :)

Edit: Well, 5 I can eat. Still great!
Caroveggie

Postby JeffN » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Caroveggie wrote:Wow, thank you both! I need to get that magazine! I love hummus and 6 recipes I can eat sounds great! Thanks a lot :)

Edit: Well, 5 I can eat. Still great!

Here are 3 McDougall Approved free recipes from this website

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10075

Basic Hummus

1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup water-packed, roasted red peppers
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed butter)
1-2 garlic cloves, peeled
¼ teaspoon cumin

Salt, to taste Place the beans in a food processor or blender with roasted peppers, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, and cumin. Process until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. You may add a little water to thin it out. Salt to taste. Hints: Serve with a side of rice and beans. Great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner – or just as a snack. For some extra spice, add minced jalapeno peppers to the hummus, or add a pinch of cayenne.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10076
Hummus

There are many variations of Hummus in most supermarkets and natural food stores. Many of them have added olive oil and most have tahini. Some people are convinced that Hummus without tahini is just not Hummus. However, I have been making no tahini Hummus for years and it is delicious, plus it is healthier for your body. If you can’t stand the thought of Hummus without tahini, then add 1 tablespoon of it to this recipe, realizing that you are also adding some fat to the recipe.

Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Servings: makes 1 ½ cups

1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 tablespoons water
dash sea salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until very smooth.

Hints: Add other ingredients to this basic Hummus, for flavor and variety.

1. ½ cup roasted red peppers plus ½ teaspoon ground cumin
2. ½ cup chopped parsley or cilantro
3. 1-2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno pepper

Spicy Red Hummus

This is a delicious, but spicy, red bell pepper hummus. It has no added tahini or oil, so it is very low in fat, but the flavors just burst in your mouth. Serve as a spread in a wrap or as a dip for baked pita triangles.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Chilling Time: 1 hour
Servings: makes about 2 cups

1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup roasted red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
Several twists freshly ground black pepper
Dash sea salt
1 tablespoon water

Place all the ingredients except the water in a food processor and process until quite smooth. Add the water while processing and continue to process until mixture is very smooth. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour to blend flavors.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby DanTheYogi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:57 pm

JeffN wrote:

In Health
Jeff

Is there a brand of chipotle peppers w/adobo sauce that doesn't contain oil, sugar, etc? I haver never been able to find any. Or do you make your own sauce?
DanTheYogi

Postby JeffN » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 pm

DanTheYogi wrote:
JeffN wrote:

In Health
Jeff

Is there a brand of chipotle peppers w/adobo sauce that doesn't contain oil, sugar, etc? I haver never been able to find any. Or do you make your own sauce?

Good question.

It is Mary's recipe so I will check with her and let you know.

If it was me, I would use chipotle seasoning.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Thank you for posting even more delicious hummus recipes. I'm going to head out grocery shopping and make one tonight since I finished up my last batch. Thanks so much! If I come up with another recipe, I'll share it here for other hummus lovers. :nod:
Caroveggie

Postby countryautumns » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:42 am

I fell in love with cilantro when we moved to Texas, so I recently came up with my own hummus recipe that even relatives love.
Thing is, it isn't an actual recipe. I don't measure. I just throw stuff in the food processor until it "looks right"...
3-4 cans of garbanzo beans, drained rinsed and patted dry.. I sure wish someone would invent them already blended in a can, like fat free refried beans, only garbanzos.. it would sure save a lot of time in the kitchen.. anyway..
I do add a pinch of salt.. i'm not there yet :)
a little can of diced green chiles.. I like medium but they also come in mild, and hot
a big handful of fresh cilantro, chopped, stems too since it's getting blended
Lime juice, fresh to add moisture so it will blend up, and for flavor too
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped some first or smashed
pinch of cayenne
Blend it up and we eat it as a main course. I make it pretty thick. A few nights ago I served it on top of brown rice with a bean salad on the side, black beans, tomatoes, green onion, corn, red bell pepper, more cilantro lol and just a bit of lime juice. Once that salad is mixed it needs to sit in the fridge an hour or so before serving..
I'm getting hungry again typing this!
countryautumns

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:43 am

countryautumns, that sounds amazing! Thanks for posting it.
Idgie, Southern CA
Idgie

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:59 am

Yes, thanks for sharing countryautumns! Sounds super yummy! I will have to try it although I think my blender can only handle one can of chickpeas at a time, so I'll have to make some modifications.
Caroveggie

Postby Lansing_MI_Vegan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Pizza Hummus
Prep Time
15 mins
Total Time
15 mins

A smooth creamy fat-free hummus dip with the addition of tomato paste and pizza spices that will be sure to please. Pizza Hummus? Yes please!
Course: Appetizer
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Servings: 4 servings
Author: Chuck Underwood
Ingredients

1 can Chickpeas - save the liquid (15oz)
2-3 cloves Garlic
2 Tbs Lemon Juice
2 Tbs Tomato Paste
1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast optional
1 1/2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1-4 Tbs Reserved Bean Juice (as needed)

Instructions

Drain the chickpeas reserving the juice

Add chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tomato paste, and all the spices to a food processor or blender
Process until smooth and creamy
Add a tablespoon of the reserved bean juice at a time to reach the desired consistency
Lansing_MI_Vegan

Postby Caroveggie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 pm

I will have to try that! Sounds yummy.
Caroveggie

Postby hazelrah » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:16 pm

JeffN wrote:
Good question.

It is Mary's recipe so I will check with her and let you know.

If it was me, I would use chipotle seasoning.

In Health
Jeff

That is my favorite McDougall recipe of all time. The canned adobo is so heavy and Mary's approach to making it is so light. It's incredible that something that easy can be that good. The problem is getting the right chipotles for it. The ones in our Mexican market are kind of funky. I bought 10 nice clean morita chipotles to make it last month, but the hummus seems to evaporate or something. Anyway, I can't imagine anybody using canned chipotle adobo again after making it this way. It's not worth the trip to the store.

Now you've got me soaking garbanzos. I hope you're all satisfied.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning