Is cornbread permissible on either MWL or otherwise?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is cornbread permissible on either MWL or otherwise?

Postby Michele613 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:50 pm

I am feeling guilty about eating so much homemade cornbread but I enjoy it and it helps keep me on program.
I use 2 c cornmeal, 1/2 plant milk, 2/3 c unsweetened applesauce, (I'd like to add 1/4 c of some kind of sugar but no sure if it is okay to do so and then eat so much). Can I eat as much as I want of this?

Can I eat as much as I want of brown rice fettuccine? Also creating guilt.

Your help would be so appreciated. I just finished up my 1st month and lost 11#s but I want to find those 'simple' few recipes that you suggest we have to stay on program. The above 2 are getting my attention. Thank you.
Michele613

Re: Is cornbread permissible on either MWL or otherwise?

Postby Idgie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:12 pm

They're not MWL, but they're McDougall-friendly, and I say if you're losing weight and feeling good while eating them, go for it!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Michele613 wrote:I am feeling guilty about eating so much homemade cornbread but I enjoy it and it helps keep me on program.
I use 2 c cornmeal, 1/2 plant milk, 2/3 c unsweetened applesauce, (I'd like to add 1/4 c of some kind of sugar but no sure if it is okay to do so and then eat so much). Can I eat as much as I want of this?

Can I eat as much as I want of brown rice fettuccine? Also creating guilt.

Your help would be so appreciated. I just finished up my 1st month and lost 11#s but I want to find those 'simple' few recipes that you suggest we have to stay on program. The above 2 are getting my attention. Thank you.

I think those two foods are okay on regular McDougall. If at some point you stop seeing results you like, then you could reassess.

There are some cornbread recipes archived on this site that do contain a little sweeteners/sugar, but if you actually like cornbread without sugar why add any? :wink: The applesauce does add a hint of sweetness.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Michele613 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Thank you Idgie and Always Agnes for your input. I'll just keep trying....persistence, right? One of the keys to success. Hope you both have found it through Dr. McDougall too. :-D
Michele613

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning