100% whole grain waffles-totally fat free

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

100% whole grain waffles-totally fat free

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:11 am

Recipe calls for "Milk" but plant milk or even plain water works perfectly. Also, recipe calls for salt. That too can be omitted if you are eating "low sodium" and it will make little to no difference.

At first glance this recipe as written might look like something you'd just ignore. After all it contains milk, Also, though not a lot of salt as SAD recipes go, 1/4 tsp gives you almost 590 mg and there's already about 315 mg from the baking soda.(easily a full day's worth for me and I did eat the entire batch). You could also omit the baking soda though the finished waffles would be a bit denser (they would still be excellent); the batter was noticeably foaming when I poured on the hot iron. Just shows how with a wee bit of tweaking a great many recipes can be "McDougalized" and still come out great.

https://breadtopia.com/erics-sourdough-waffles/

Just found this recipe yesterday. I used what I had which was kamut flour I grind myself (in BlendTec) and my starter lives in whole grain rye flour so that was in there. I used water only (just skipped even the plant milk and no salt). I let ferment about 14 hours, then added the soda and cooked them up. Light and fluffy and excellent. I topped with a ripe, fresh pear I sliced up.

Neutral hearty grain flavor so could eat sweet w/ fruit or maple syrup or savory with whatever even salsa would be good topping. Go for it!
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning