Jicama

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jicama

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Okay. What's up with jicama? Starch or vegetable? (Dr. McDougall has it listed under both on the Free Program info. Other sources list it as a non-starchy vegetable.) It's high in fiber and water but not that high in carbohydrate. The calories are low. Only 38 per 100g. Seems too low to qualify as a starch staple. For comparison, peas are 77 cals for 100g, and cooked potato is 92. But then, winter squash is 37, and that seems low too. :?

Anyway, I eat jicama once in a blue moon. How 'bout you?
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: Jicama

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:02 pm

It is a non-starchy vegetable.

We serve it a few times a week, shredded or cut julienne style, on the salad bar

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:50 pm

JeffN wrote:It is a non-starchy vegetable.

We serve it a few times a week, shredded or cut julienne style, on the salad bar

In Health
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. So why does winter squash get the "pass" as a starch when its calories are similar to jicama? Or does it not? Just curious.

I eat winter squashes much more often than jicama, but less often than potatoes and frozen green peas. :mrgreen: <--my pea face For dried peas in soups, I prefer the yellow ones. Green split peas sort of gag me, but I can eat them in a bean mix if they don't dominate. :nod:
AlwaysAgnes

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 pm

The winter squashes (ie acorn) are the "starchy vegetables" with the lowest calories, calorie density and starch content but still somewhat more "starch" then jicama and most other non-starchy vegetables.

Raw Jicama has a calorie density of 172 cal/lb. A 1/2 cup serving has 7 calories and .4 grams of starch.

Cooked Winter squash (ie acorn) has a calorie density of 181 cal/lb. A 1/2 cup serving has 41 calories and 5.5 grams of starch. Some winter squash may be a little higher, some a little lower.

As you can see, there is somewhat of a difference in the starch content with winter squashes having over 12x more.

All the summer squashes are non-starchy vegetables.

Sometimes, when someone is struggling with MWL, we may suggest using winter squashes as one of their main starches as the calorie density is much lower. However, the problem with this (sometimes) is the winter squashes do not have enough starch to keep the person as satiated as does potatoes, rice, beans, etc.

There are several vegetables that fall in this "zone" where they have more starch, calories and calorie density that then true non-starchy vegetables, but not quite as much as most starchy veggies.

As in everything, there isn't a cut and dry, black and white rule in regard to them.

Fortunately, we don't give cut and dry, black and white rules but guidelines for people to follow.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Love jicama! I went through a jicama phase last summer. Cut into batons and cold from the fridge, they are crunchy and refreshing on hot summer days. I can eat a whole pound easily.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Daydream » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 pm

I love jicama too. I cut it in sticks and eat a handful of them. I've had it diced small in salad too.
Daydream

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:10 am

You can use jicama in place of water chestnuts in stir fries. You can put it in fruit salads. You can use jicama in place of green papaya. You can eat jicama sprinkled with lime juice and chile. There are many recipes online. Here's a Rick Bayless recipe for a salad appetizer with jicama, cucumber, oranges, radish, and cilantro with lime juice and chile that sounds like it might be tasty. Maybe I'll try it. Last jicama I bought died of old age on my counter. :roll: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/rusti ... -and-lime/
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:53 am

I also LOVE jicama and buy it almost every week if it is available. I usually cut it into sticks and eat it with carrots and celery as a crudite, sometimes diced in salad.
Mark Cooper

Postby JeffN » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:24 am

JeffN wrote:The winter squashes (ie acorn) are the "starchy vegetables" with the lowest calories, calorie density and starch content but still somewhat more "starch" then jicama and most other non-starchy vegetables.

Raw Jicama has a calorie density of 172 cal/lb. A 1/2 cup serving has 7 calories and .4 grams of starch.

Cooked Winter squash (ie acorn) has a calorie density of 181 cal/lb. A 1/2 cup serving has 41 calories and 5.5 grams of starch. Some winter squash may be a little higher, some a little lower.

As you can see, there is somewhat of a difference in the starch content with winter squashes having over 12x more.

Sometimes, when someone is struggling with MWL, we may suggest using winter squashes as one of their main starches as the calorie density is much lower. However, the problem with this (sometimes) is the winter squashes do not have enough starch to keep the person as satiated as does potatoes, rice, beans, etc.

There are several vegetables that fall in this "zone" where they have more starch, calories and calorie density that then true non-starchy vegetables, but not quite as much as most starchy veggies.

As in everything, there isn't a cut and dry, black and white rule in regard to them.

Fortunately, we don't give cut and dry, black and white rules but guidelines for people to follow.

In Health
Jeff

Just a note of caution, my post is not intended to drive anyone done the rabbit-hole of micro minutia. The program works without trying to sort out all these micro-details.

Many years ago, when I posted the healthiest range of BMI was 18.5 to 22, many took this to mean 18.5 is the healthiest. Those who were already healthy, doing great and had BMI's of 20-22 (even 19), thought they were to heavy and tried to get to 18.5. That wasn't the point.

The regular program works for most. If it isn't working, trying the MWL and if you want, add in some Mary Mini's here and there. If these are not working, speak to a qualified professional with l/t experience in this area.

Back to the regularly scheduled program...

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:38 am

JeffN wrote:
JeffN wrote:The winter squashes (ie acorn) are the "starchy vegetables" with the lowest calories, calorie density and starch content but still somewhat more "starch" then jicama and most other non-starchy vegetables.

In Health
Jeff

Just a note of caution, my post is not intended to drive anyone done the rabbit-hole of micro minutia. The program works without trying to sort out all these micro-details.

Many years ago, when I posted the healthiest range of BMI was 18.5 to 22, many took this to mean 18.5 is the healthiest. Those who were already healthy, doing great and had BMI's of 20-22 (even 19), thought they were to heavy and tried to get to 18.5. That wasn't the point.

The regular program works for most. If it isn't working, trying the MWL and if you want, add in some Mary Mini's here and there. If these are not working, speak to a qualified professional with l/t experience in this area.

Back to the regularly scheduled program...

In Health
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. For whatever reason jicama got listed as a starch staple on the Free Program guide. But it doesn't contain enough starch calories to qualify as a starch staple, and would be better classified as a non-starchy vegetable. By comparison, cooked winter squash has enough starch calories to qualify as a starch staple, even though its calorie density (cal/lb) resembles jicama. Did I get any of that right?

For me, jicama is interesting food to add to the mix once in a while, but it's not something I'd try to live on, any more than I'd try to live on radishes or bamboo shoots or lettuce.

:mrgreen:
AlwaysAgnes

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:55 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Thanks, Jeff. For whatever reason jicama got listed as a starch staple on the Free Program guide. But it doesn't contain enough starch calories to qualify as a starch staple, and would be better classified as a non-starchy vegetable.

Correct. Most likely a misprint. Remember what Mark Twain said, 'Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.'

AlwaysAgnes wrote:By comparison, cooked winter squash has enough starch calories to qualify as a starch staple, even though its calorie density (cal/lb) resembles jicama.

Correct.

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Did I get any of that right?

Yes

While we would like things to be black and white with a clear distinguishing line, it is almost never that way. While the MWL has much less gray then the regular program, there is still some gray areas. Most of them are not about whether to include a food or not, but where to categorize it. As you probably know, a food may have many classifications depending on whether you are going by biology, food groups, nutrition, culinary arts, etc Examples include tomatoes, are biologically fruits, peanuts are legumes, there is no biological category called "vegetables", just leaves, stalks, roots, flowers, stems, etc.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning