Artisan Bread

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Artisan Bread

Postby misterE » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:40 pm

I use to like to go to Whole Foods and get their artisan bread from the bakery. An entire loaf is nearly 2000 calories and it would be something I could snack on all day and not have to worry about meal-prep or washing dishes. The loaf is oval shaped with golden-brown crust and moist doughy inside!!

I tried in vain to figure their formula for their artisan bread and after years of failure; I am happy to announce that I have finally figured it out! 8)

Things you will need:
An oven
A dutch-oven
4 cups of white unbleached flour
1 TBSP of malted barley four
2 and 1/2 TSP of salt
3/4 TSP yeast
2 cups of water

Mix together the dry ingredients and add the water... knead and add flour to get a soft doughy consistency.
Cover and let rise for 10 hours.
Knead again and add flour if needed to once again get the doughy consistency.
Let rise for 30min.
Preheat oven and dutch-oven to 450 degrees
Carefully place the dough inside the dutch-oven and bake for 30min
After the 30min is up, remove the lid of the dutch-oven and cook for an additional 10min.
After the final 10min, remove dutch oven and let cool
Enjoy!
Vote with your money.
misterE

Re: Artisan Bread

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:12 am

You can vary it up flavor wise by adding various herbs or spices or blends. I mostly add caraway seeds because...caraway seeds. But I also like curry pwder or Italian seasoning blend too. Rosemary I like the flavor but so far in my experiments it has seemed to dramatically inhibit if not outright kill the yeastie beasties. I think that may mostly be because I added too much for the volume. But rosemary artisan bread, still warm from the oven, with pesto and thick slice of heirloom tomato on tops will do me for a happy meal for sure!
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning