finally a good cheese

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

finally a good cheese

Postby katt » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:21 pm

I finally found a good tasting vegan cheese. It's called "Follow your Heart" I got smoked Gouda and mozzeralla. I have spent a lot of money trying other chesses and boy are they bad. This is great. It really taste like cheese. I found it at Wegman's store.
katt

Re: finally a good cheese

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:32 pm

katt wrote:I finally found a good tasting vegan cheese. It's called "Follow your Heart" I got smoked Gouda and mozzeralla. I have spent a lot of money trying other chesses and boy are they bad. This is great. It really taste like cheese. I found it at Wegman's store.

While I am sure it tastes great, it doesnt meet any of our guidelines and we don’t recommend these fake meat and cheese products

You can see the Nutrition Facts Label and Ingredient list here for the Mozzarella.

http://followyourheart.com/products/mozzarella-style/

Per Serving (20 grams)
- 60 Calories
- Calorie density of about 1400 cal/lb. 60/20 x 454 = ~1400
- Calories from Fat is 40, making it 67% fat. 40/60 = 67%
- Calorie from saturated fat is 60%. 4 x 9 = 36/60 = 60%
- Sodium is 180, giving it a 3:1 sodium density. 180/60 = 3

The ingredients are - Filtered Water, Coconut Oil, Modified Food Starch, Potato Starch, Sea Salt, Natural Flavor (Plant Sources), Olive Extract, Beta Carotene for Color.

It fails the fat (67%), fails in the saturated fat (40%), fails in the sodium (3:1) and not only has oil (as the first ingredient), it is coconut oil (not recommended), and contains refined starch (modified food starch, Potato Starch).

Another example of Vegan Premium CRAP.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Idgie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Katt, that cheese isn't McDougall-friendly, but have you tried the potato/carrot cheese sauce that made the rounds on the internet last year? It's blended (so some MWL people won't eat it because of the processing) but it's all vegetables, no fat (though some people do add soymilk or fat, I never do), and I think it's really good at mimicking the texture of, say, nacho cheese sauce.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby draperbr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 am

While I generally try and stay away from processed foods, I do treat myself to Treeline Cheese from time to time. It's made with Cashews, so it obviously has a high fat content, but other than that it is very lightly processed and contains no oil.

I prefer the Aged Cheese varieties, all though that and the French Style are both extremely delicious.

The ingredients for the Aged Cheese varieties are: Cashew nuts, filtered water, salt, vegan lactic acid, L. Acidophilus.

The nutritional profile for the Aged Cheese is as follows:

Serv Size: 1 OZ (28g)
--Calories 140
--Fat Cal. 100
--Total Fat 11g
--Sat. Fat 2g
--Trans Fat 0g
--Cholest. 0mg (0% DV)
--Sodium 125mg (5% DV)
--Total Carb. 5g
--Fiber 1g (5% DV)
--Sugars 0g
--Protein 5g
draperbr

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:59 am

Idgie wrote:K...have you tried the potato/carrot cheese sauce that made the rounds on the internet last year? It's blended (so some MWL people won't eat it because of the processing)....

I don't know for certain myself but wouldn't making it using an old fashioned, muscle powered potato masher make it MWL compliant. Heck, even a fork mashing to mix the ingredients into a more or less homogenous topping.
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning