Like a Montage of Your Food?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Like a Montage of Your Food?

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am

Awesome and powerful tool for my fellow food-nerds: making a fabulous picture diary of your good food choices.

I was using the free version of YouAte (an app — no affiliation or promotion intended, I just like it), which is user friendly, and I figured it out in about ten minutes.

It time-stamps what you eat, and makes a montage of your day (at least, the first six pictures chronologically). Here are two screenshots:

ImageF88D7303-56BC-4E7F-B262-D96E06FE09E1 by Pretty Buttercup, on Flickr

ImageD6E893C7-7C09-4E0C-9FBC-A52B180F1F9F by Pretty Buttercup, on Flickr

If this is the kind of thing you think is fun, then download it! It’s a free app.

The useful part is that you could use it to strengthen the pattern of plating your food, and then eating it, and then not wanting to nibble little extras afterwards. I just ate that bowl of partially frozen bananas with my coffee, and then thought about going back and finishing up the bag, but that would’ve gotten me to the awkward “Not pictured: rest of bag of partially frozen bananas” — so I sat back down without pouring myself the unneeded seconds.
roundcoconut

Re: Like a Montage of Your Food?

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:40 am

I wanted to add:

I suppose that on the face of it, taking picures of your good food choices is weird and stupid. However, I hope you’ll see my point that taking pictures of your good food choices is Brilliant A.F.

Why?

Because every time we reinforce a behavior, we help lock it in. We strengthen that behavior in our memory banks. And we identify with that behavior — who was the genius who ate tomatoes and asparagus before noon? Oh, right, it was ME! :P

So what I am thinking, is that we can get some MAJOR mileage out of using a tool like this — eat once, reinforce four times.

Meaning, every single time we go back and look at our good food choices, we get more coins in the Fabulousness Bank. Future good choices are powered by how much we have in the Fabulousness Bank!

We look at a pic of the asparagus we ate yesterday, and that’s another High Five From the Universe.

I would add that I believe that taking an honest appraisal of any poor or mediocre choices made in your day, needs to happen quickly and privately, just like you would correct a talented child.

You wouldn’t put the pic of young Mozart’s worst performance in the weekly update to patrons, you would only showcase how beautifully he was coming along for a 9-year-old.

So I don’t believe in taking pics of poor food choices, because we don’t want to lock those into memory. Take an honest assessment of where you chose poorly, and then quickly flash to what you wish you had chosen instead. And start locking THOSE images into memory, as mental rehearsal for the future.

OK, there’s my thought for the day! :)
roundcoconut

Postby MINNIE » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:11 am

I like the pictures of food:). Our way of eating is artistically pleasing, as well as healthy.

I keep a sketch book diary, and often draw a "what I ate today page". Since I eat pretty much the same way each day, I suppose it would look boring to someone else -but it's fun anyway.
MINNIE

Postby geo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:46 am

This is a very cool tool. If it was available when I was doing my year long journal it would have made my life sooo much easier. I don't think its crazy at all to be taking pictures of food to help you keep track of what your eating everyday on this program. What better way to keep yoursef on track and accountable. Tie it into a journal here and now not only can you keep track but those that are learning can better understand what food you can eat on the program, the great variety thats available and what it takes to suceed. It beats the heck out of just writing what you ate and then having to answer questions from eveyone about what you ate everyday when you do suceed, and you will, right?!

Hmmm, YouAte doesn't seem to be an app available on google play...so I guess it must only be an IPhone app? Oh well, there appear to be a bunch of similar apps in google play for us Android users...interestingly, if you search for YouAte on google play it recognizes it is a food pic logging program and gives you a gazillion other food log programs as well. Here's one that looks interesting as it also can reconize food in the picture and give you all the nutritional info on it as well... probably overkill but the tech is just so cool. Its called BitesnapL Photo food tracker and calorie counter.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning