Kelp Noodles FTW

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Kelp Noodles FTW

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:50 am

Yum! I bought a package of kelp noodles (also called sea tangles, I guess) at an Asian market and fixed them yesterday, using the recipe on the back of the package.

Wow! They look like thickish bean threads, but they have a crisp to them when you eat them. I used the entire package for my dinner last night, and loved it. They're fat free, zero g protein, and six (6) calories per serving. So the entire package came to 24 calories. Here's the cool thing...they were filling! My dinner came to like 350 cals and I was nicely satiated. My poor Fitness Pal was all in a tither about my low intake yesterday but what're ya gonna do...I wasn't hungry.

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Mine-Kelp-Noodles-16-Ounce/dp/B005LMCD8E?th=1

They would make a wonderful salad...I'm hooked!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Kelp Noodles FTW

Postby Vegankit » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:22 am

I remembered reading a lot on Kelp on Jeff Novick's section of the forum so I did a search: search.php?keywords=kelp&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=22&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

you can read through it, but he doesn't recommend kelp or other seaweed products http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... weed!.html

Personally, if I were you, I would enjoy it every once and a while but I wouldn't eat it often. Try find an alternative to the kelp noodles that are a better choice you can use in your recipe. Maybe whole wheat pasta or zucchini spirals?
Vegankit
Vegankit

Re: Kelp Noodles FTW

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Vegankit wrote:I remembered reading a lot on Kelp on Jeff Novick's section of the forum so I did a search: search.php?keywords=kelp&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=22&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

you can read through it, but he doesn't recommend kelp or other seaweed products http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... weed!.html

Personally, if I were you, I would enjoy it every once and a while but I wouldn't eat it often. Try find an alternative to the kelp noodles that are a better choice you can use in your recipe. Maybe whole wheat pasta or zucchini spirals?

Hi Vegankit!

thanks for the heads up. I live inland, distant from the ocean, so iodine isn't in the air, as is the case for coastal populations. I also don't use iodized salt. So yeah, I'll be aware, but not too worried about OD'ing on iodine from eating this. I add seaweed (not kelp) to a few of my favorite dishes, as well. Probably three or four times a month. As with rice having a bit of arsenic...I'm not worried about it.

As for pasta...kelp noodles aren't like pasta AT ALL. They don't slurp; they aren't soft. They have a wonderful crispy texture. I want to experiment with them, as I've seen a recommendations for cooking them with a bit of vinegar or in tomato sauce. But honestly, they'd be great in a salad. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning