Fava beans

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fava beans

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 23, 2018 7:22 pm

I got a pound of fava beans in shell. I’ve never had them before. What should I do with them?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Fava beans

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Thu May 24, 2018 12:38 am

Hi Lyndzie,

It sounds like you have purchased fresh fava beans which are also commonly known as broad beans.
When you say 'shell' I assume you mean the pod within which the beans are contained.
Once you remove them from the pod you are 'good to go'. I steam them until soft which should take from 5 to 10 minutes.
Many people 'double peel' the fava beans. That means once they remove them from the pod they peel the skin from the fava beans.
I don't do this as I feel it's unnecessay and besides is fiddly.

I write about fava beans in my series of food tips that I write for my local community garden.
Here is the link;
https://sites.google.com/site/qhuccommunitygarden/peter-s-food-tips-from-our-garden
Click onto the food tip: F for Fava Beans
Pumpkin Pete

Re: Fava beans

Postby Lyndzie » Thu May 24, 2018 5:45 am

Thanks Pete! I’ve used dried broad beans in soups before, so it’s good to know this isn’t a totally new food, just a new way to prepare.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning