Microwave potato bag - anybody use this?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Microwave potato bag - anybody use this?

Postby victw » Sat May 12, 2018 8:38 am

Hi all,

Chef AJ mentioned a microwave potato bag in a video on youtube. I've usually poke a couple of holes in my potato or sweet potato and then nuke it.

However I will be doing some extended travel and one of these might be helpful.

I'm wondering who uses these and if it changes the texture of the potato? How often you cook them and where you cook them?

I mostly do sweet potatoes with the white flesh and some white potatoes.

Vic

Here's an example:
https://smile.amazon.com/MicrowavePotat ... =0&ie=UTF8
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Re: Microwave potato bag - anybody use this?

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat May 12, 2018 10:17 am

victw wrote:Hi all,

Chef AJ mentioned a microwave potato bag in a video on youtube. I've usually poke a couple of holes in my potato or sweet potato and then nuke it.

However I will be doing some extended travel and one of these might be helpful.

I'm wondering who uses these and if it changes the texture of the potato? How often you cook them and where you cook them?

I mostly do sweet potatoes with the white flesh and some white potatoes.

Vic

Here's an example:
https://smile.amazon.com/MicrowavePotat ... =0&ie=UTF8

Well, that particular bag doesn't look like a good choice since it seems prone to catching fire. :lol: I've never used a cloth bag to nuke a potato. Once upon a time a million years ago I'd use a plastic sandwich baggie, but anymore I just poke holes in the potato and throw it on a plate in the microwave. I've never nuked a whole sweet potato, only cubes.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Quinda » Sat May 12, 2018 10:38 am

I use a plain brown paper lunch bag to nuke both russets and sweet potatoes. It makes them evenly done no matter how huge. But for huge ones I press my baked potato button then turn over and add 1-2 minutes extra cooking. Punch holes in potatoes before inserting into bag. Fold over.
Quinda

Postby ranomore » Sat May 12, 2018 4:03 pm

I bought a microwave potato bag at a church craft sale and it caught fire (actually just smoking - no flame) in the microwave, Be cautious.
ranomore

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:03 am

I got one for Christmas,use it all the time. No fire or scorching noted.The directions on the bag say nuc.only for
4 minutes. Thanks for the warning,will keep an eye out for this. RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby VeggieSue » Sun May 13, 2018 5:14 am

About 20 or so years ago, making potato bags was a big thing for crafters. For one yard of fabric you could make a few of those bags, from small to family-sized. There were swaps on various message boards and everything.

Then it was discovered that if you used the cheaper cotton/poly fabric and batting instead of 100% cotton quilting fabric and filling and nuked your spuds for too long they did smolder and/or go up in flames, especially if you didn't wet the bag first. So people started warning others to use only 100% cotton for the fabric and batting. You were still advised to wet the bag or potato first. The Internet is full of websites with directions on making your own bag in various sizes to this day.

The potato was supposed to have the texture of restaurant baked potatoes - moist and fluffy without getting dried out. You could also warm up rolls and bagels without them getting gummy or rubbery.

As for sweet potatoes - your choice, but *I* never used one. The plain old orange sweet potatoes tend to leak all over, whether cooked in a conventional oven, microwave, even a pressure cooker, every time I cook them, so I wasn't going to take a chance of one leaking all over my potato bag. Maybe a dryer sweet potato, like the Hannah Yams, Japanese sweet potato or batatas, but not Garnets or other orange ones. Others have said they use the bags all the time and never had a problem.

The bags sold in the stores today, like Potato Express bags, feel like they're made with polyester fibers, not 100% cotton. This is probably why they all have warnings on them not to use on high heat or use more than 4 minutes at a time. They're also pretty small - when the box says it cooks 4 potatoes at a time, assume they mean 4 of the small potatoes, like you find in those plastic steamable bags or at most, the size of a dinner roll, certainly not 4 decent sized russets!

Nowadays I toss my russets into the Instant Pot, but if that's being used, I put them on a plate and put one of those plastic microwave plate covers over them and hit the potato button on the microwave and get a perfect potato every time. IDK if the bag would work on these nukers that have the preset buttons, because they depend on the sensors picking up how much steam is coming off the food, and I suspect the bags would interfere with that. I may try it next time with my 20 year old tried and true 100% cotton potato bag.
VeggieSue

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning