microwave Bake regular/sweet potatoes and polenta

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

microwave Bake regular/sweet potatoes and polenta

Postby avrama » Tue May 01, 2018 10:41 am

Do you know that baking whole potatoes (skin on) in the microwave save time and energy?

No need to warm up the oven-if you live in warm/hot area you will appreciate that-and there is no need for ventilation of cooking smells.
You can bake 1 medium size potato( fist size) in 4 min -if you want more just multiply the time
Do not cut it until cold-cooking will continue a few minutes after you took it out of microwave.
The advantage is it will not dry out as it does in the oven and keep all moisture/vitamin inside,unless you over bake it
another advantage Safety/toxicity issue with burned starch in the oven -research acrylamide
The microwave will cook food from inside out and keep all natural juice in
works well with red beets/carrots/cauliflower/
also with rice and is best for polenta-it will not burn at the bottom and no need to mix it all the time
but it is critical you have enough water proportion 2/3
Try it and you will never use the oven again
avrama

Re: microwave Bake regular/sweet potatoes and polenta

Postby calvin » Tue May 08, 2018 9:44 am

I know, but there is a vocal contingent out there that instill irrational fear of microwaves in the minds of the uninformed. I use mine daily.

Tip. Leave fresh corn-on-the-cob Unshucked. Microwave the whole thing, about 1min on full power (depending on microwave power and cob size), turn over and repeat, then let cool a minute or two before shucking. Result: perfectly done corn on the cob. The tippy tops are usually tender and tasty.
calvin

Postby ETeSelle » Tue May 08, 2018 1:13 pm

I nuke EVERYTHING. No way am I gonna waste time waiting to cook taters in the oven! :-) Old-fashioned oats (not instant) cook in 4 min in the m-wave as well, just as nicely as on the stove with no cleanup. I'm a fan.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Chumly » Wed May 09, 2018 3:38 pm

I use the microwave all the time to cook potatoes. I cut them into pieces and cook them in a ceramic bowl with a plate on top for 5-6 minutes for a single serving of potatoes. I haven't seen strong evidence that cooking with a microwave affects nutrition over other methods of cooking.

Michael
Chumly

Postby VeggieSue » Thu May 10, 2018 3:33 am

I've been using a microwave oven since the first Radarange for home use became available in the 1970's. I learned to cook so many foods as a new bride in that thing - so convenient with our work schedules!

And Mary McDougall has said she used one all the time to make their potatoes in the decades before she got an Instant Pot.

That's also a very convenient appliance that heats food quickly, uses less electricity, keeps foods moist, and doesn't heat up the house. I've even made yogurt and cornbread in mine.
VeggieSue

Postby calvin » Thu May 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Chumly wrote:...I haven't seen strong evidence that cooking with a microwave affects nutrition over other methods of cooking...

Have you seen ANY evidence at all? I'd be interested.
calvin

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning