Socca - Chickpea flat bread

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Socca - Chickpea flat bread

Postby Bkworm » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Had never heard of this bread until tonight when reading a novel. It sounded so good in the book I decided to look it up online.

Here is one recipe:
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/255749/socca/

Was wondering how to go about making it compliant for the WFPB way of eating. Very interested as I can't eat anything with gluten and no rice or oats either. Socca is made with chickpea flour.

Any suggestions on how to adapt it? I was thinking maybe I could use it as a pizza crust since I still haven't come up with a compliant crust without using wheat, oats, or rice flours. All the various crusts I have tried so far have been very heavy. Have tried several chickpea crust in the past and they were way too heavy.

Would love some guidance in this area. Thank you for any and all input.
Bkworm

Re: Socca - Chickpea flat bread

Postby Vegankit » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:19 am

I understand your frustration as I have Celiac's disease so no gluten and I can't tolerate rice and corn. None of the commercially available gluten free breads are safe for me to eat.

Did you see the chickpea tofu and quinoa tofu post? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57695
I wonder if the chickpea tofu would work to make a pizza crust. I've been using the "chegg" version to make omelet etc. You can spread it very thin onto parchment paper and bake it in the oven. I haven't done this but I bet it would bake into something crispy. It won't be the same as a true bread pizza dough. It won't be as pliable or crisp as a dough made with and cooked in oil.

Another alternative is using riced cauliflower. My daughter found a recipe on line for making a pizza dough alternative using cauliflower that is McDougall appropriate. It tasted wonderful. You'll have to google to find it as I don't have the recipe. Trader Joe's sells a frozen cauliflower pizza base but it has several ingredients I can't eat so I've never tried it-(from their website: CAULIFLOWER, CORN FLOUR, WATER, CORNSTARCH, POTATO STARCH, OLIVE OIL, SALT. MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF MILK https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/c ... izza-crust )
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:44 pm

Bkworm wrote:Had never heard of this bread until tonight when reading a novel. It sounded so good in the book I decided to look it up online.

Here is one recipe:
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/255749/socca/

Was wondering how to go about making it compliant for the WFPB way of eating. Very interested as I can't eat anything with gluten and no rice or oats either. Socca is made with chickpea flour.

Any suggestions on how to adapt it? I was thinking maybe I could use it as a pizza crust since I still haven't come up with a compliant crust without using wheat, oats, or rice flours. All the various crusts I have tried so far have been very heavy. Have tried several chickpea crust in the past and they were way too heavy.

Would love some guidance in this area. Thank you for any and all input.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for, but you can make flatbread out of lots of things and most any kind of flour. There are several threads in these forums that discuss and contain links to various flatbread recipes. There are pancake or crepe-like flatbreads made with batter, and there are flatbreads that are rolled like tortillas.

I guess to make socca "compliant for the WFPB way of eating" would mean eliminating the oil. You could try spreading the chickpea batter on parchment to bake. I don't know that the result will be exactly the same, though. Here's a site with a recipe for quinoa flatbread using a parchment method. If you can eat quinoa, maybe this bread would appeal to you. If you're willing to experiment, you could even try a chickpea-quinoa combo. Adding the baking powder probably lightens things up a little. https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.co ... flatbread/

Here's another flavored quinoa batter bread that's baked in a parchment-lined pan: https://www.nestandglow.com/healthy-rec ... -flatbread
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Bkworm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks Vegankit and AlwaysAgnes,

Have watched the video links and read the recipes. All sound great but the Mexican Quinoa Flatbread would be my first choice to try. Since we are still in the rental house without a blender or food processor, will have to stick to using chickpea flour and go from there. Will use the socca recipe without oil and add baking powder.

Have been without a blender or food processor for six months and it looks like it will another five months before we can move back into our home and finally be able to unpack our various kitchen appliances and implements. Had not thought about how much I depended on a blender and/or food processor until after I no longer had them. Could have purchased new ones but they would just add more to be moved back into our house. All the furnishings in the rental are also rented. Our blender and food processor are in great shape and really don't need to be replaced. About half the WFPB recipes I cooked before the hurricane called for a blender or food processor. Been cooking lots of soups and stews and now salads over the past six months as well as some of Jeff Novick's Fast Meals and burgers. My fellows miss their hummus or sauces and so do I. After tried some of the commercial hummus and they just don't like them.

Thanks so much for your input and suggestions. The recipes and videos really increased my cooking horizons as I had never heard of Chickpea or quinoa tofu much less using it as a cheese substitute or tofu substitute. Have eaten flat bread at some restaurants before starting to follow WFPB but never gave it a thought. Just have done without flour products completely since starting this WOE.
Bkworm

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Bkworm wrote:Thanks Vegankit and AlwaysAgnes,

Have watched the video links and read the recipes. All sound great but the Mexican Quinoa Flatbread would be my first choice to try. Since we are still in the rental house without a blender or food processor, will have to stick to using chickpea flour and go from there. Will use the socca recipe without oil and add baking powder.

Have been without a blender or food processor for six months and it looks like it will another five months before we can move back into our home and finally be able to unpack our various kitchen appliances and implements. Had not thought about how much I depended on a blender and/or food processor until after I no longer had them. Could have purchased new ones but they would just add more to be moved back into our house. All the furnishings in the rental are also rented. Our blender and food processor are in great shape and really don't need to be replaced. About half the WFPB recipes I cooked before the hurricane called for a blender or food processor. Been cooking lots of soups and stews and now salads over the past six months as well as some of Jeff Novick's Fast Meals and burgers. My fellows miss their hummus or sauces and so do I. After tried some of the commercial hummus and they just don't like them.

Thanks so much for your input and suggestions. The recipes and videos really increased my cooking horizons as I had never heard of Chickpea or quinoa tofu much less using it as a cheese substitute or tofu substitute. Have eaten flat bread at some restaurants before starting to follow WFPB but never gave it a thought. Just have done without flour products completely since starting this WOE.

It's fairly expensive, but you could always try using quinoa flour instead of whole quinoa for the Mexican flatbread recipe. That way you wouldn't need a blender or processor. You'd just mix it to a batter by hand.

This is the cheapest quinoa flour I saw on Amazon was Roland: https://www.amazon.com/Roland-Quinoa-Fl ... ZSASS0CKT3
Bob's Red Mill and Hodgson Mill also have quinoa flour. You might even find all these brands at Walmart.

Another gluten-free flour that you could add to breads in small amounts would be coconut flour. It's very high in fiber. Also, besides chickpea flour, there are other beans flours. https://www.google.com/search?q=bean+fl ... 44&bih=728 Just to give you more ideas/options.

Then there's defatted peanut flour....which might be used in smaller amounts like the coconut flour.

What you use depends on the flavor profile you're going for and individual tastes/needs/preferences.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Bkworm » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:53 am

Good morning, AlwaysAgnes,

Just wanted to let you know that I have cooked the Mexican Quinoa Flatbread recipe several times now. Thanks so much for providing the link. Have adapted it to my family’s preferences and for my food triggers. Cooked the flatbread with quinoa flour and chickpea flour, also. We prefer the bread made with chickpea flour using the spices indicated in the recipe. Now when my family decides to purchase a pizza, I just make up a recipe of the Mexican flatbread and put on my toppings and enjoy that as my pizza. Wish they would get more compliant to this way of eating but it has to be their decision. All I prepare at home is 100% compliant. My family eats and loves the Mexican Flatbread also but don’t consider it to be “pizza”.

Thanks again for steering me to this recipe. Have added it to my favorites cookbook.
Bkworm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning