chickpea tofu and quinoa tofu

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

chickpea tofu and quinoa tofu

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:54 pm

You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: chickpea tofu and quinoa tofu

Postby Willijan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:43 pm

Always Agnes,
How do these taste? And do you know whether these are lower fat than soy tofu? The chickpea tofu recipe looks really easy, and delicious! I don't eat soy tofu because I am avoiding the fat. And I am so jealous of my husband when he eats his.
Willijan

Postby Vegankit » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:47 pm

Wow, who knew? Technically this isn't tofu because tofu is coagulated, usually with calcium sulfate (gypsum) similar to making cheese curds.

I loved how she made chickpea tofu scrambled eggs. I have besan in my pantry - I think I'll try this to make "scrambled eggs" since I used to love them and I really haven't found scrambled tofu a good alternative. I'm going to add Kala namak (Indian black salt) to add that eggy sulfur smell.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Vegankit wrote:Wow, who knew? Technically this isn't tofu because tofu is coagulated, usually with calcium sulfate (gypsum) similar to making cheese curds.

I loved how she made chickpea tofu scrambled eggs. I have besan in my pantry - I think I'll try this to make "scrambled eggs" since I used to love them and I really haven't found scrambled tofu a good alternative. I'm going to add Kala namak (Indian black salt) to add that eggy sulfur smell.

Well, ya know what they say: words are meant to be stolen and repurposed. They say that, don't they? :lol:

I've made something like the Burmese tofu with added Indian black salt before. Oven fried slices are very tasty and good in a sandwich. It tastes much like an egg sandwich.

You can also use besan to make an omelette, if you'd prefer that to a scramble. There are various recipes floating around. Here's one (You can omit the oil for cooking): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3Y2XFuuJ0 This recipe looks more like an egg omelette than some I've seen. I think maybe that's because of the thinness of the batter.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:15 pm

Willijan wrote:Always Agnes,
How do these taste? And do you know whether these are lower fat than soy tofu? The chickpea tofu recipe looks really easy, and delicious! I don't eat soy tofu because I am avoiding the fat. And I am so jealous of my husband when he eats his.

I haven't used chickpea flour as a tofu sub, but I have eaten it as an egg substitute. I like it. I think the fat content is lower than regular tofu. Besan is around 6 to 7g fat for 1 cup. (One cup besan mixed with water and cooked will make a few servings.) Tofu is around 6g fat in 1/2 cup. You also keep the fiber with the besan/chickpea flour (and quinoa flour, too), so that's a plus.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/1601 ... our-facts/
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Vegankit » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:49 am

I'm partway through making the softer chickpea tofu - it's in the fridge firming up before I make scrambled "cheggs" with it.

First of all I wasn't sure the recipe was enough for two people - stupid me I doubled it and it makes a ton. Not a problem though, if it tastes good I'll have more meals out of this tofu. I like your idea of baking oven fried slices too, might try that.

I googled for other similar recipes to get ideas of spices although I already had in mind what I wanted to add - this is what I added: garlic, Penzey's toasted onion powder (it's the best), nutritional yeast, tumeric, paprika, mustard powder and Indian black salt (Kala namak) because the sulfur adds to make it more eggy. I didn't add much of each, maybe 1/4 tsp at most, and about 1.5 tbs nutritional yeast.

With the larger volume I had trouble adding the water to make the mixture smooth in the first step so I added water, chickpeas and spices into a blender to blend smooth before adding it to the roiling boiling water. It thickens very quickly.

I spread it out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and have it in the fridge cooling now.

I have made Susan Voisin's Fatfreevegan Chickpea omelets http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/04/ch ... ragus.html But it always stuck to the frying pan - I never figured out the technique/temperature of pan that it didn't stick. And gosh did it make a mess of my skillet. I used to pour it on parchment paper and bake in the oven and peel it off to serve - it wasn't pretty, really a mess, but it did taste so good which is why I was excited when I saw this recipe and it's potential to work for me.

It's funny because I have heard of Burmese Tofu before - just didn't realize how easy it was to make.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Vegankit » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:00 am

It's a keeper recipe - I did find I needed a little more water when stir frying to get a nice scrambled egg texture - but it's amazing how it captures that texture of a scrambled egg. And the flavor is very eggy too. It's been more than 10 years since I've eaten eggs but I do think that meat eaters would know the difference - but for vegans this is the closest, and much better than scrambled tofu.

I'm going to stir fry up some red and green pepper and onion then add some of the chickpea tofu next time.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby victw » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Even with the lower fat - I'm thinking it might be a calorie dense item.

A zillion years ago I made mung bean pancakes from fermented mung bean batter. Lots of fun.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Vegankit » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:13 pm

victw, chickpeas are starches - and this is finely ground so the fiber is clearly not fully intact. However I did add quite a bit of water to it more than 3 parts water to one part chickpea flour - sort of like preparing steelcut oatmeal.

I had leftovers from the "scrambled chegg" from breakfast. For supper I chopped up onion, red pepper, mushroom, zucchini and stirred the veggies till cooked in a wok. I then added the leftover cooked "scrambled chegg" to blend and heat them. So easy. The leftover "scrambled chegg" did leech some liquid sitting in the fridge, but it quickly absorbed it when reheated.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:34 pm

victw wrote:

Even with the lower fat - I'm thinking it might be a calorie dense item.

A zillion years ago I made mung bean pancakes from fermented mung bean batter. Lots of fun.

Vic

When you add water and cook it up, it's not really any more calorie-dense than the beans from which it's made. I think of it like I do beans. https://drkyle.com/2015/09/01/caloric-d ... om-kaiser/ It would depend on the besan/water ratio, but I'd say the final product is probably around 400 calories per pound. Jeff Novick could chime in on that if he's around. If you look at that link, you'll see soy at 1000 calories/pound is a lot more calorie dense than other beans/legumes.

Here are a couple more links (one a video making a large batch) featuring Burmese tofu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mv5jGrJw_A
https://www.veganricha.com/2016/04/chic ... -tofu.html
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Willijan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:44 pm

quote from vegankit:
"I have made Susan Voisin's Fatfreevegan Chickpea omelets http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/04/ch ... ragus.html But it always stuck to the frying pan - I never figured out the technique/temperature of pan that it didn't stick. And gosh did it make a mess of my skillet. I used to pour it on parchment paper and bake in the oven and peel it off to serve - it wasn't pretty, really a mess, but it did taste so good which is why I was excited when I saw this recipe and it's potential to work for me."

Yes, I made those chickpea omelets, too, and had the same experience: delicious, stuck to the pan, looked like a mess. I thought it was just me. I think this chickpea tofu may make a great substitute for those.
Willijan

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:06 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:
I've made something like the Burmese tofu with added Indian black salt before. Oven fried slices are very tasty and good in a sandwich. It tastes much like an egg sandwich.

Thank you for this great idea! My kiddo used to love egg sandwiches. This would be a suitable substitute. And I happen to have the ingredients on hand.

The video has piqued my interest. Creative and tasty idea.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Vegankit » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:31 am

I made another batch - a smaller batch as this recipe makes a lot. This time I sautéed onions and green peppers, then handfuls of fresh spinach. As the spinach wilted I added the "cheggs" - enough to coat the veggies nicely. What a treat to have veggies blended with scrambled "cheggs".

As I mentioned above it stores well in the fridge. If I had a crust in a pie plate, I would have put my veggie/chegg mixture into the crust and let it cool - it would make a wonderful quiche.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm

When googling chickpea egg sandwiches I came across this interesting idea: chickpea egg muffin breakfast sandwich. This recipe woukd definitely require tweaking, but here it is: https://ohmyveggies.com/vegan-breakfast ... ew-cheese/

I like the concept, but need to think about what I’d want on there, aside from the “egg” and english muffin.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Willijan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:28 pm

VeganKit, your scrambled cheggs additions sound very good, I'll have to try them. Tonight I made the Chickpea Tofu Stir Fry from the same person who gave the original Chickpea Tofu recipe. It was so delicious, and I ended up feeling like I'd had two Thanksgiving dinners. My husband also loved it.
I put the ingredients in in the order she said to, with the tofu near the beginning. What I found, even though I made the firm tofu, is that as I stirred the veggies the tofu fell apart, thickening into a sauce and requiring more and more water. So I had a chickpea sauce instead of tofu, but I loved it.
Next time I might try putting the tofu in near the end of the cooking time.
Of course, I really shouldn't eat this at all, as I don't like it without tamari, and my BP tends to be high with even a smidgen of salt. But maybe I'll learn to like it with no tamari, somehow.
Willijan

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning