Lunch Help Needed

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lunch Help Needed

Postby FowlWoman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:22 am

Hi all,

I need help with ideas for a lunch that I can eat on the go. I am a rural mail carrier and I don't have a scheduled lunch break. I have to eat while driving most days though some days I can actually take up to 10 minutes to stop and eat. I am having a hard time coming up with satisfying meals that aren't distracting (aka, falling out of a wrap etc., getting mushy before I get to eat it etc.) and having enough that keeps me satisfied until I get home. I can be gone from home anywhere from 7-10 hours a day. Maybe I am just stuck in a mindset but anything to keep me from grabbing a bag of chips at the gas station would be appreciated.

I already do a lot of baby carrots, plum tomatoes, fruit, apples, etc. and frankly get tired of them :).

Oh, and I don't like spicy.

TIA!

Chris
FowlWoman

Re: Lunch Help Needed

Postby moonlight » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi FowlWoman (love your name!),

I travel during the work day too. I bought a couple of the Rubbermaid mugs that have a handle, good top to seal, and is bigger than a regular cup. I make grain salads, such as bulgar and chopped raw veggies, or rice. I like to use a balsamic vinaigrette for dressing. This keeps well for me. In the warmer months I'll keep it in a small cooler. I also like potato salad for a starch. It's very filling, too. I like to take a different salad for just veggies, such as cabbage slaw. I bought a soup thermos and use it some for a hot soup. Just soup is not enough for me for the day, though. Soup, hot or cold, might be a good snack while you are driving. The salads require stopping and eating but I do that while still in my car. Easy one cup meals! Dr. McD's MWL cookbook has some very good salads and salad meals.
moonlight

Postby Willijan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:07 pm

For efficiency and speed of consumption, I'd suggest baked potatoes. They also give you more calories than some other compliant things you could take, calories you need with 7 to 10 hours on the road.

I know they may not sound exciting, but they do taste delicious to me, when I can get good potatoes. I use Russets, baby potatoes, or Yukon Gold, so I'm sure any type would work. I bake or microwave them, then put them into a brown paper bag. That lets them cool without sweating. They stay somewhat warm that way. I've done this multiple times on day trips and I've never had any trouble with them spoiling. You can just eat them from your hand like an apple if you leave the skins on and don't cut them up.

Puffed rice is good too, but it takes a very long time to eat enough to get many calories.

You could also try just brown rice in a glass storage dish, possibly with cooked veggies or beans added. Plain, but tastes delicious, especially when you're hungry. Then when you are at home you can have something a little more varied and interesting if you want.
Willijan

Postby SunnyMcDGal » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:59 pm

When it is in season, a convenient lunch item is corn on the cob. I break the ears in half before cooking. Boil water, add ears, remove from heat, add a lid, set timer for 9 minutes, then remove and cool in refrigerator. They are delcious cold, and easy to eat.

I like Engine 2 Organic Crispbread and no-salt rice cakes made by Lundberg, but both of those sprinkle crumbs all over in a vehicle making a mess. Still I take those when eating in a vehicle, and brush myself off.
SunnyMcDGal

Postby MINNIE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 am

I know they may not sound exciting, but they do taste delicious to me, when I can get good potatoes. I use Russets, baby potatoes, or Yukon Gold, so I'm sure any type would work. I bake or microwave them, then put them into a brown paper bag. That lets them cool without sweating. They stay somewhat warm that way. I've done this multiple times on day trips and I've never had any trouble with them spoiling. You can just eat them from your hand like an apple if you leave the skins on and don't cut them up.

This is pretty much my go-to travel or work lunch. I also use sweet potatoes. I never get bored with this -have done it almost every day for five years now :) .

But, if you're not so much of a tater fanatic, oats are another good and simple choice. Cold oatmeal is surprisingly good.

You can rolled put oats and water or plant-based "milk", in a covered container and the oats will be soaked through and soft by lunch time. You can add raisins, flax seeds, cinnamon or whatever your preference is*. This is very filling and very cheap. I would use a mini-cooler for this, especially in hot weather.

*Recently I tried adding fresh grapes to my cold oats. (I saw this in a video by Jane and Ann Esselstyn , and really liked it). Lots fewer calories than raisins, too.

P.S. I also keep a few cans of beans (and a spoon and can opener!) in the car for emergencies. I love being free to bypass restaurants when I travel.
MINNIE

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:33 pm

FowlWoman wrote:Hi all,

I need help with ideas for a lunch that I can eat on the go. I am a rural mail carrier and I don't have a scheduled lunch break. I have to eat while driving most days though some days I can actually take up to 10 minutes to stop and eat. I am having a hard time coming up with satisfying meals that aren't distracting (aka, falling out of a wrap etc., getting mushy before I get to eat it etc.) and having enough that keeps me satisfied until I get home. I can be gone from home anywhere from 7-10 hours a day. Maybe I am just stuck in a mindset but anything to keep me from grabbing a bag of chips at the gas station would be appreciated.

I already do a lot of baby carrots, plum tomatoes, fruit, apples, etc. and frankly get tired of them :).

TIA!

Chris

Maybe sushi or some onigiri/rice balls? http://www.landsandflavors.com/vegan-onigiri-six-ways/
Roasted potatoes or potato wedges? I can eat those cold. Also roasted aparagus I can eat cold.
Instead of a big messy wrap, make pinwheels/spirals and cut in bite-size pieces that you can just pick up and pop into your mouth. http://kathysvegankitchen.com/recipe/ve ... e-spirals/

Just some options/ideas.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Lunches

Postby WisChris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi all,

I have had good success with the McDougall plan in the past. I fell off the wagon when I developed vertigo six years ago. I am slowly improving and have lost 15 pounds since last fall. But since the Covid19 I have regained 7 of those pounds. I am stress eating.

I have a problem. It is called lunch. You see, I am a rural mail carrier and eat while working. Now with this virus I am terrified of eating. We are given one pair of gloves a day and there is no bathrooms to wash up at while driving my 5-7 hour route. Hand sanitizer or even alcohol wipes are not available in our area. Then I have to scrub my car down before I can drive the 30 minutes home. It is frustrating and exhausting. I work six days a week. I find loading up at breakfast doesn't cut it for me so I don't know what to do.

I do try and get out and walk at least 30-40 minutes a day. I am in northern WI where we just got a foot of snow and 40 mph winds so not so much today. I look forward to spring. My bike is being held hostage at the bike repair shop waiting for me to get the time to get it. I love rural life but all the driving gets old.

Anyway, I am looking forward to ideas and sharing.
WisChris

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:24 pm

What do you enjoy, and what are you eating now?
Can you eat from a bowl with a fork?
Or eat something pre-wrapped in paper?

I happen to like potatoes, and find a tupperware box of steamed then baked french fries is simple, keeps well and is filling.
Packaged whole grain no oil crackers are also convenient.

And of course, as strict compliance as possible with all your other meals. Do nothing to drag down your innate immune system, and everything to strengthen it, which is minimally processed starches with addition of fruits and vegetables.
michaelswarm

Postby PJK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:21 am

How about a good old-fashioned sandwich?

Some options:
Whole-wheat sliced bread or pita
Corn tortillas
Peanut butter.
Hummus or other mashed beans
Greens: Lettuce, spinach, kale, etc.
sliced veg - radish, cuke, carrot, etc - raw or blanched
Tomato
Avocado
Tahini sauce
Etc. I'm sure you can think of others...

All that is McD-compliant, as long as you're not on the max-weight-loss version.
PJK

Re: Lunches

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:32 am

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:22 am
FowlWoman wrote:Hi all,

TIA!

Chris

Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:16 p

WisChris wrote:Hi all,

I have had good success with the McDougall plan in the past. I fell off the wagon when I developed vertigo six years ago. I am slowly improving and have lost 15 pounds since last fall. But since the Covid19 I have regained 7 of those pounds. I am stress eating.

I have a problem. It is called lunch. You see, I am a rural mail carrier and eat while working. Now with this virus I am terrified of eating. We are given one pair of gloves a day and there is no bathrooms to wash up at while driving my 5-7 hour route. Hand sanitizer or even alcohol wipes are not available in our area. Then I have to scrub my car down before I can drive the 30 minutes home. It is frustrating and exhausting. I work six days a week. I find loading up at breakfast doesn't cut it for me so I don't know what to do.

I do try and get out and walk at least 30-40 minutes a day. I am in northern WI where we just got a foot of snow and 40 mph winds so not so much today. I look forward to spring. My bike is being held hostage at the bike repair shop waiting for me to get the time to get it. I love rural life but all the driving gets old.

Anyway, I am looking forward to ideas and sharing.

It seems like you have posted almost the exact same question almost one year ago, under a different username.

First, please use only the original username. If you have trouble logging in, let me know

Second, let us know what you did last year to accommodate your lunches

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Dougalling » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi

I would go with a soup thermos. Blenderize your soup so you can drink it with a straw.
Keep a soapy wet washcloth in a plastic container. And a dry washcloth in another container.
Dougalling

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning