Stacked enchiladas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stacked enchiladas

Postby TerriT » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 am

I've tried making enchiladas but my tortillas always fall apart when I roll them up, no matter how much I dampen or warm them first. The only corn tortillas I can find here in the UK are pretty stiff.

So I came up with an idea for "stacked enchiladas". I warm tortillas in the microwave then I stack them on individual plates with different layers of tasty stuff in between. This has become one of our favourite meals.

At the bottom I spread enchilada sauce. I like the Esselstyns' recipe best (from the Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease), but I like to add a little cocoa powder.

The other layers can be any combination of:

fat-free refried beans, mixed with some salsa from a jar
    black beans sautéed with vegetables, cumin powder, chipotle powder and oregano
    vegetables sautéed with cumin powder, chipotle powder and oregano and no black beans
    "cheesy" plant-based sauce
    homemade pico de gallo
    a dab of homemade guacamole on top
TerriT

Re: Stacked enchiladas

Postby GrannyB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am

I should give the source for the ingredient list. Maybe someone can give us the interpretation of them:
https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=pro ... 3D97D5B8EC
GrannyB

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:27 pm

GrannyB wrote:I should give the source for the ingredient list. Maybe someone can give us the interpretation of them:
https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=pro ... 3D97D5B8EC

I think you meant to post this in the tortilla chips thread in the lounge. 8) But the interpretation of gordita is thick/fat tortilla. In Spanish "gordo" means fat. I guess gordito means chubby. Gordita means chubby girl. Anyway, that's a flour tortilla that's a little chubby. :lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordita
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

TerriT wrote:I've tried making enchiladas but my tortillas always fall apart when I roll them up, no matter how much I dampen or warm them first. The only corn tortillas I can find here in the UK are pretty stiff.

So I came up with an idea for "stacked enchiladas". I warm tortillas in the microwave then I stack them on individual plates with different layers of tasty stuff in between. This has become one of our favourite meals.

At the bottom I spread enchilada sauce. I like the Esselstyns' recipe best (from the Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease), but I like to add a little cocoa powder.

The other layers can be any combination of:

fat-free refried beans, mixed with some salsa from a jar
    black beans sautéed with vegetables, cumin powder, chipotle powder and oregano
    vegetables sautéed with cumin powder, chipotle powder and oregano and no black beans
    "cheesy" plant-based sauce
    homemade pico de gallo
    a dab of homemade guacamole on top

I've taken to making enchiladas in layered casserole form. More liked a stacked enchilada than a rolled enchilada and much like a lasagna using corn tortillas instead of noodles. I like a layer of greens in mine, either cooked spinach or kale. My girls don't like enchiladas, so my husband and I get to eat the whole thing. :unibrow:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby TerriT » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:33 am

I like a layer of greens in mine, either cooked spinach or kale.

That's a good idea. I might add spinach or kale to the vegetable mixture next time.
TerriT

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning