Get the bitterness out of kale -- the science of it

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Get the bitterness out of kale -- the science of it

Postby Skip » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:52 pm

He uses a rolling pin on the kale first!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dLkxboZXsI&t=1m16s
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Re: Get the bitterness out of kale -- the science of it

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:42 am

Does anyone know what effect that process has on the nutrients?
Vanilla Orchid

Postby kirkj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 am

Another option is to eat collards instead :)
kirkj

Postby PJK » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Just say no to kale. Yuck.

Spinach is nearly as nutritious -- and has far better taste and texture. Ergo, you'll actually eat it!

Nutrition comparison here: https://www.prevention.com/content/whats-healthier-kale-or-spinach
Short version - Kale is slightly (but only) more nutritious.
PJK

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:10 pm

I don't like raw spinach. (It's a texture thing.) I rarely eat raw spinach or kale, though it may make an appearance if I buy a packaged salad mix. I generally eat greens (other than lettuces) cooked.

My method for cleaning kale is much like the one in the video, minus the rolling pin thing. I strip and cut/slice/chop the kale, then put it in a large bowl of cold water where it's "massaged" and swirled. The water is changed out for fresh a few times as well. To cook the kale, I bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the prepared kale, and cook for 5 minutes. Then I transfer it to a colander to drain. My kale always turns out tender this way, and I don't think it tastes bitter. Your tongues might disagree. I don't know.

:mrgreen:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Quinda » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:43 pm

My cooked kale is never bitter either. Never ate it raw. I get it in bags, pre-washed. Cook it in IP and eat lots daily.
Quinda

Postby Skip » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 pm

How long do you pressure cook it for?
Is it always moist when you eat it or do you dry it out sometimes?
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby DanTheYogi » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:08 pm

Skip wrote:How long do you pressure cook it for?
Is it always moist when you eat it or do you dry it out sometimes?

Not OP, but I have cooked kale a few different ways in the IP.

For a while I bought big bags of baby kale from Costco. I would throw huge handfuls into the IP, with .5-1 cup of water or so. Thing is, baby kale is not very thick/hearty, so it wilts very fast. I would set the timer for 0 minutes at low pressure, and as soon as it went off I would pressure release. So basically just let it come up to pressure, then instantly shut it off. It would still come out pretty wilted, but I really enjoyed it. I would just dump the huge clumps of kale on top of a bowl that had some combination of rice/quinoa/buckwheat/millet/black beans/cubed potatoes.

Now I have started buying bags of mixed frozen greens from whole foods. Kale, mustard greens, collard greens. Not only are these greens much heartier than baby kale, they are also frozen, so it takes a little longer. I also cook these a little different; I will put a cup of water in the IP, then put the trivet in and put 1.5-2 cups of the frozen greens and half a cup of water in a ceramic bowl, which I place on the trivet. 4 minutes at high pressure, instant release. Then I dump the bowl of greens onto the same type of "grain" bowl I mentioned above. I like this method better for a few reasons. For one, I enjoy the taste and texture of the mixed greens more, and also they are pre-cut, so it doesn't get as clumpy as the baby kale did.
DanTheYogi

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 pm

I think baby greens and the greens you get frozen are different creatures than the regular kale or other mature greens. Freezing tenderizes greens, and baby greens are more tender to begin with. I think bitterness is probably a bit less in frozen and baby greens, too. (I'm not a big fan of frozen greens, except maybe in soups or casserole or something like that. Not to eat plain.)

I've probably done kale in the IP, but really don't remember. I know I've cook collard greens (cut into strips) in the pressure cooker with minimal water (about a cup) with garlic (lots) and Better Than Bouillon no chicken flavor seasoning for 5 minutes. Then I add drained pinto beans and heat through. That's tasty. :unibrow:

I don't think chard is particularly bitter, but I don't like it because it tastes like beets. :\

Also, try the dinosaur kale. It's less bitter than the curly kale. https://www.thekitchn.com/curly-leafed- ... ght-166603
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby f00die » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54 pm

has anyone here ever eaten african nightshade leaves?
popularly used in nigerian and kenyan food
as an accompaniment to pounded yams(fufu) or stiff maize meal porridge (ugali)
ive heard them called "bitters" or "bitter greens"
its a sought after taste

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_nightshade
f00die

Postby Chumly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 am

I like kale and collards in my soup and steamed. I've made salads based on baby kale that I like as well. I like the bitterness, as long as it's not too strong, like mustard greens.

Michael
Chumly

Postby greengorilla » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:03 am

If you freeze kale, it does make it taste sweeter. And the younger the kale leaves, the sweeter they are. I put frozen kale in my occasional smoothies. But even frozen kale still has a bit of that 'kale signature' taste. It's not butterhead lettuce, that's for sure!

Farmers will tell you that frost sweetens kale in the field, as well.
greengorilla

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning