Recommendation for first Instantpot recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Recommendation for first Instantpot recipe

Postby Hal » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi guys. So I have my Instantpot set up and it is waiting for food to be put in it. Since there are literally hundreds of recipes to chose from for Instantpot use, what is your best idea to get started - something easy to get right, and shows off the capabilities? tnx.
Hal

Re: Recommendation for first Instantpot recipe

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi Hal,

I don't recommend you get caught up in complex or gourmet recipes. I used my Instant Pot all the time, but Keep It Simple:

Sweet and Regular Potatoes
Brown or White Rice
Soaked Dried Beans
Steamed Veggies

Makes in bulk, have throughout the week, top with spices and...Viola!

Instant Pot is easy to cook and clean.

Enjoy,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Hal » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi Scott. Thanks. So from what I have gathered, you can put rice and broccoli and maybe some spices in together with a cup or two of water and press a button, and the pot will cook at greater than 212 F. without boiling?

I also gather that there is no draining after cooking rice or pasta, or whatever, right? Is that also true for the basics like potatoes, rice, vegetables and dried beans?
Hal

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Hal wrote:Hi Scott. Thanks. So from what I have gathered, you can put rice and broccoli and maybe some spices in together with a cup or two of water and press a button, and the pot will cook at greater than 212 F. without boiling?

I also gather that there is no draining after cooking rice or pasta, or whatever, right? Is that also true for the basics like potatoes, rice, vegetables and dried beans?

Hal, here is a collection of short videos that might help you with the basics of the Instant Pot. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheInstantpot

Generally, if you're cooking more than one food item, you'll want to choose foods that need the same amount of cooking time. If you cook rice and broccoli at the same time, the broccoli will probably be overcooked. Vegetables cook faster than rice and dried beans. I don't use the Instant Pot for vegetables, unless they're in soup. :mrgreen:

Here's a pdf file that contains recipes (not all McDougall compliant) and cooking charts for different grains, beans, and vegetables. The cooking charts are at the end. Note it says that broccoli cooks for 2 to 5 minutes, depending on fresh or frozen, while rice takes much longer (unless you're using white rice which takes 4 to 8 minutes). Brown rice can take over 22 minutes to cook.
https://instantpot.com/wp-content/uploa ... ish-v2.pdf

Indian recipes often call for pressure cooking beans/lentils and contain well-cooked vegetables. Here's Vegan Richa's collection of Instant Pot recipes. http://www.veganricha.com/2017/07/20-ve ... cipes.html
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Hal » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Awesome. Thanks, AlwaysAgnes. I also found the cooking chart for steaming vegitables, and i'm about to try steaming some russets with 2 cups of water. Might even take a look at carrots again..
Hal

Postby Hal » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Re: bulk and add spice when eating - makes sense, thanks.
Hal

Postby Yomom » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Hal, I second what Scott said above. Instant Pot is great to cook a batch of brown rice, a batch of potatoes and a batch of dried beans. Then store in your freezer or refrigerator and use to make nearly instant compliant meals. To these components I add fresh (chopped) or frozen vegetables - so easy - and zap for about 1 minute in microwave.
Yomom

Postby Vegankit » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:15 pm

I rarely steam veggies as the timing for softer veggies is critical. I make a lot of soups and cook basics like oatmeal, quinoa, beans etc.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby jamietwo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:10 pm

I actually don't like the way brown rice tastes when cooked in the Instant Pot - or maybe its the texture I object to. These are probably the things I used my Instant Pot for the most. (Edited on 6/16/18: Now I eat brown rice cooked in the Instant Pot ALL the time and love it! I use 4 cups organic short grain brown rice, rinsed, plus 5 cups water, and cook on manual for 28 minutes, natural release.)

KALE
I eat a lot of kale, and I will wash and tear up a bunch of kale, grate a carrot on top, add a couple of tablespoons of water, and cook for 7 minutes. Sure, I can cook it on the stove just as fast, but I love that I don't have to watch it, and it stays warm indefinitely! Then I layer it over a plate of brown rice (I always keep a pot of cooked rice in my fridge).

REFRIED BEANS
I also make Mary's refried beans in it. After they've cooked and the pressure is released, I use the saute function to cook off the extra water without losing the flavor.

LENTIL SOUP
I make Heather's lentil soup for my family, but I have to cut the recipe in half or the Instant Pot won't pressurize! Sometimes I'll use my food processor to chop the veggies, and they don't stick to the bottom when cooking in the Instant pot like they do on the stove!
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... gs.wpPYsDc

COOK DRIED BEANS
I used to cook up a big stock pot of dried beans and then freeze in 1 cup packages. It took a while. Now I just cook up a few at a time in the Instant Pot and don't have to worry about them boiling over, etc.
Last edited by jamietwo on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:26 pm

I love my Instant Pot so much. I hope you love it as well. I just made a quick batch of Hoppin' John using frozen onions, bell pepper and celery. It is my most prized kitchen appliance.

An easy first recipe is black beans. 1 lb dried beans, 6 cups water, and whatever seasoning you like (I like Alton Brown's taco seasoning). Best black beans ever.

Let us know how it goes!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby BroccoliForever » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:41 pm

njr1 wrote: I cooked that chili a few times and noticed that I needed to buy a new Instant Pot gasket because the spices permeated the original one and began imparting a slightly spicy taste to my beans. I prefer unseasoned beans, so I bought a two pack of replacement gaskets on Amazon.

The same thing happened to a family member who uses her IP for both sweet and savory dishes. She switches between gaskets so her sweet apples don't taste like onions and garlic. ....Ryan

If you have a dishwasher, you can put the gasket in the top rack and it will clean right up--no smell.
BroccoliForever

Postby jamietwo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 am

I edited my original post a few entries above to say I've found a way to cook brown rice in my Instant Pot that I really like! :)
Jamie
jamietwo

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning