Cathy Fisher (Straight Up Food) interview

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cathy Fisher (Straight Up Food) interview

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:40 pm

Dillon's interview with Cathy Fisher at True North: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zxdumsfF0

"Cathy Fisher's Straight Up Food Cookbook is one of the best. We use it constantly in our family. I would say it is the highest quality SOS-free (salt, oil, sugar free) cookbook out there."
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: Cathy Fisher (Straight Up Food) interview

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:06 am

It is hands down the best cookbook I own. Two thumbs up.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby patty » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 am

Mahalo for posting. My daughter in-law won teacher of the year and my son is a teacher. I loved how Cathy Fisher shared she self published and didn’t go to culinary school. So inspirational. My son and his wife have spent a lot of time with the kids learning about hydroponics and organic farming. What great social energy for them to share her book with the kids. On her blog her pictures looked so great. I clicked her hash browns as it took me forever to figure out how to cook something so simple. And she mentioned the option of putting them in oven. The last time I tired to make them I got so frustrated I through them in the air fryer. It worked to my amazement. I then clicked her ketchup recipe as I have run out and the simplicity of using tomato paste was straight up as the other recipes I looked at used can or fresh tomatoes. Again Mahalo.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby greentea » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Lyndzie wrote:It is hands down the best cookbook I own. Two thumbs up.

Oh no, i'm going to have to check this one out. I don't need to any more cookbooks, but hey, if it's that good..
What do you like about it?
greentea

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Patty - I use 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce in place of the whole apple in her ketchup recipe. Then I can just mix everything in a bowl and not get the blender dirty. Enjoy!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 pm

greentea wrote:

Oh no, i'm going to have to check this one out. I don't need to any more cookbooks, but hey, if it's that good..

I really like the pictures and thorough explanations. Cathy has really hit the nail on the head for recreating favorite flavors in a healthier way. It’s the only cookbook I know of that is intended to exclude salt, and the flavors are bright enough to not need any.

Her blueprint for salad dressings are what I follow to make a creamy, flavorful dressing without oil. I recently took her Beefless Stew to a pitch in and got rave reviews. Her Caesar-y salad is a hit with all types of eaters. The Tu-no salad is a great sandwich choice. The ketchup recipe is what I use when I’m in a pinch.

The only recipe I tried that I wasn’t crazy about was the cole slaw, but I just really like a mayo-based slaw.

It’s definitely worth flipping through. You can test run some if her recipes from online and see if you like her style. I got it for Christmas last year and have used it tons.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby greentea » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:39 am

Lyndzie wrote:
greentea wrote:

I really like the pictures and thorough explanations. Cathy has really hit the nail on the head for recreating favorite flavors in a healthier way. It’s the only cookbook I know of that is intended to exclude salt, and the flavors are bright enough to not need any.

Her blueprint for salad dressings are what I follow to make a creamy, flavorful dressing without oil. I recently took her Beefless Stew to a pitch in and got rave reviews. Her Caesar-y salad is a hit with all types of eaters. The Tu-no salad is a great sandwich choice. The ketchup recipe is what I use when I’m in a pinch.

The only recipe I tried that I wasn’t crazy about was the cole slaw, but I just really like a mayo-based slaw.

It’s definitely worth flipping through. You can test run some if her recipes from online and see if you like her style. I got it for Christmas last year and have used it tons.

Thanks, sounds great! This one is not easy to get a hold of if you are non USA. She has a PDF, but I prefer hard copies of cookbooks. I'll keep digging.
greentea

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 am

Greentea - what country are you in?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm confused. Greentea, did you try ordering the hardcover book on her site? I don't know, but it doesn't say that she doesn't ship the book outside the U.S. Or I don't see that, anyway. May be pricier to ship out. I don't know. http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/prod ... ard-cover/
AlwaysAgnes

Postby greentea » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:34 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I'm confused. Greentea, did you try ordering the hardcover book on her site? I don't know, but it doesn't say that she doesn't ship the book outside the U.S. Or I don't see that, anyway. May be pricier to ship out. I don't know. http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/prod ... ard-cover/

She does, but with the shipping, exchange rate It will be more like a $70 book, plus there is the potential to get dinged for more taxes at the border. Don't know if I want it that badly.
greentea

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:08 pm

greentea wrote:
AlwaysAgnes wrote:I'm confused. Greentea, did you try ordering the hardcover book on her site? I don't know, but it doesn't say that she doesn't ship the book outside the U.S. Or I don't see that, anyway. May be pricier to ship out. I don't know. http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/prod ... ard-cover/

She does, but with the shipping, exchange rate It will be more like a $70 book, plus there is the potential to get dinged for more taxes at the border. Don't know if I want it that badly.

Wow. I don't blame you. $35 would be more than high enough price for me. :lol: Probably why I don't have her cookbook. 8)
AlwaysAgnes

Postby greentea » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Wow. I don't blame you. $35 would be more than high enough price for me. :lol: Probably why I don't have her cookbook. 8)

Me too. Ah well, I'll keep my eye out for it in case it ever shows up on amazon or other sites here. There is still her wonderful blog.
greentea

Postby patty » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:16 pm

greentea wrote:
AlwaysAgnes wrote:Wow. I don't blame you. $35 would be more than high enough price for me. :lol: Probably why I don't have her cookbook. 8)

Me too. Ah well, I'll keep my eye out for it in case it ever shows up on amazon or other sites here. There is still her wonderful blog.

I have a feeling because she self-published that is why the cost is high. The e-book is 15.00, which is a little high but not much as the hard copy. I just made her straight up catsup sauce for Jeff Novick's bean burgers/loaf. I will most likely purchase the Hard Copy for my daughter in-law as she and my son can inspire their students with someone who didn't go to the school in their field and self-published. I have so many cookbooks. I like supporting the authors and really don't use them. It will be great when authors realize the return gifting comes from sharing. There is a difference between cash register honesty and emotional honesty. It is social energy that resonates through the computer because we are a global experience. Sharing is the heart beat. People who need to buy will buy:) It is important to look at the larger picture, because it is microscopic of the echo of the cells that resides within.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: Cathy Fisher (Straight Up Food) book

Postby greengorilla » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:48 am

At present, you can order the hardcover Straight Up Food by Cathy Fisher from Amazon website for $35, and the shipping is free. It's not sold from Amazon itself. Go to the Amazon book page for Straight Up Food. Under the price, it will list vendors that sell the book new or used. Click on 'new'. Find Green Bite Publishing under sellers. For U.S. customers, it's $35, and shipping is free.

I think Cathy Fisher may be that green bite publishing seller. All I know is I ordered it, and 2 days later, the book came! Haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but people are very complimentary about them online.

The book itself is really nicely put together. It's a hardback, but has a hidden spiral spine, so it will lay flat in the kitchen. Often, books by women have more user friendly formats for the kitchen. The books edited by the Campbell women (such as Plant Pure Kitchen and China Study Quick and Easy Cookbook) all have hyperlinks for each recipe in the kindle version. Each recipe is listed in the table of contents, in both the kindle and paperback versions. Makes it so easy to find the recipe you want to cook from.

One more thing - I thought Cathy's pumpkin pie recipe (on her blog) was not in her cookbook. But it's listed under her Sweet Potato Pecan Pie recipe and is just shown as a variation at the bottom of the recipe. The pumpkin pie version doesn't show up in the index at all.
greengorilla

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning