Ultimate sourdough bread

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Ultimate sourdough bread

Postby f00die » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:... My breads have been tasting great but been fairly "dense" because of over rising. The way she does it there is still enough undigested gluten to hold shape better I think. I have not done it yet but her results certainly speak for themselves.

density is coz of underdevelopment of gluten and under rising
knead until you have "windowpane" dough elasticity
then the bread doesnt collapse as it rises
plus sourdough wont rise the same as yeast bread
f00die

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks you may be right. It is home ground whole grain very coarse flour. I think maybe too coarse to ever get window pane as I have tried kneading quite a long time (by hand only though, no machine). Also, kamut which is mostly what I use does not rise nearly as well as regular modern wheat. It is verrrry extensible/stretchy but almost no elasticity/snap back. Einkorn my other favorite even worse as not stretchy nor elastic, not as bad as 100% rye but in that direction. I have not tried this very long ferment with modern wheat but suspect it would hold up better. I do think though that past a certain point of fermentation, gas production slows down and it just sort of leaks out, like a couple day old helium balloon from a party. More experimenting must be done=more fun and more good flavor.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:13 am

f00die wrote:density is coz of underdevelopment of gluten and under rising
knead until you have "windowpane" dough elasticity
then the bread doesnt collapse as it rises
plus sourdough wont rise the same as yeast bread

Ever seen this?:

No Knead Bread
GeoffreyLevens

Postby f00die » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:07 am

yes
its how i made my first ever loaf
its what made me ok with leaving my bread mix overnight
gluten develops overnight
i just like kneading and shaping
my kids enjoy helping
heres a decent writeup on the technique
https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/06/the ... dough.html
f00die

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Excellent link Foodie. I am a big fan of long rise as it seems to me easier to digest plus better flavors. I like the idea of retarding the dough in fridge like in article. I have done it but usually not. Think I will go back to it.

Just did experiment and discovered that my density is indeed from coarseness of flour. I usually grind for about 10-15 seconds on high in Blendtec so it comes out like hour glass sand or a bit coarser. Barely deserves to be called flour I guess. Last night I ground some for full cycle on high, just short of a minute so more like commercial flour (still coarser but close). Over night sponge at 70% hydration rose to about triple in volume and held its volume nicely when I first added the rest of the flour. I never use salt. Early on I tried various amounts and found that it really did not add much in the way of flavor that I liked so why expose myself to the extra sodium?

Thanks for all the tips. Much appreciated :D
GeoffreyLevens

Postby surrealchereal » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:57 am

You need an independant taster, I'll be waiting for my samples in the mail... send them overnight please :D
surrealchereal

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 am

surrealchereal wrote:You need an independant taster, I'll be waiting for my samples in the mail... send them overnight please :D

As if they last long enough for me to package up. I always make "single serve" loaf from 200 grams of grain and eat it all as main part of a meal. It is a pretty easy and fun kitchen biochem experiment though. I encourage you to "bite into" it.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby f00die » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Growing and using wheat at home
A 200+ day journey growing wheat at home, and then making flour and bread
f00die

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:50 am

There are many sourdough bread videos on youtube. Here's (a slightly weird) one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnxAoHl1qc[/quote]

It IS strange, but I like it!

Have you tried the no-knead method

K
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby calvin » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:53 pm

Taggart posted this source in another sourdough-related thread:

Carl's Starter

And I've used

sourdo.com
calvin

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning