Raspberry vinegar

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Raspberry vinegar

Postby greensheep » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 am

A coworker gave me a bottle of raspberry vinegar that he made from raspberries he grew himself. Sure, I could throw it on my salad and call it a day, but I'd like to use it to make something a little more exciting than that since it's not just any old vinegar. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them! The bottle contains about 10 ounces or so.
greensheep

Re: Raspberry vinegar

Postby Bougainvillea » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you had in mind, but I recently got a bottle of real maple syrup vinegar at the food bank - normally, very expensive stuff! I just used it to make oil-free hummus and it turned out delicious!

How I made it:

Drained two cans of garbanzo beans, saving the liquid.

Put some maple vinegar in the bottom of my blender (I don' t have a food processor yet). Added some of the drained garbanzo beans, along with a little salt and some garlic and blended. Adding more garbanzos and a little more maple syrup vinegar to keep it wet enough to keep grinding.

It ended up so sweet that I decided to add a little lemon juice to it.

That's it! Turned out really good!

So, maybe some raspberry vinegar hummus? If you wanted to make the flavor more about the vinegar and less like the chickpeas, you could try making it with white beans instead, which have a milder flavor.

Another idea: marinade some cucumber slices in the vinegar to munch on or put into sandwiches.
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Re: Raspberry vinegar

Postby greensheep » Tue May 08, 2018 8:02 am

So sorry, I don't know how I didn't see this until now!! That's a good idea -- I'll try it next time I make hummus. Thank you!
greensheep

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning