cooking kale?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

cooking kale?

Postby KatherineUK » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:19 am

Just read something which implied you shouldn't eat raw kale ? any thoughts? Kx
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Re: cooking kale?

Postby GlennR » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 am

My understanding is raw kale can inhibit iodine uptake by the thyroid. How significant this effect is, I don't know. I do eat it raw in salads from time to time but mainly throw it into soups and stews.

For whatever its worth, here's a link indicating it's okay to eat it raw.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/441153-can-you-eat-kale-raw/
Glenn
GlennR

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am

I heard the same thing. Another benefit is that cooked kale tastes better (to those of us who don't like kale). Chop it and add it to some well-seasoned lentil soup and you hardly notice it. :D
Vanilla Orchid

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 am

Only issue w/ kale (and all cruciferous veg) being "anti-thyroid" is if you are iodine deficient and eat tons of it regularly. Otherwise, just toss some in the mix, cooked or raw and enjoy it.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby KatherineUK » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 am

I like it raw and cooked. Only thing is I do have mega problems of it getting stuck between my teeth. I wondered if cooking would make it easier for my aging teeth to break up and not get so unpleasantly wedged between my teeth ... the joys of aging ... thanks to everyone Kx
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning