Got soup?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Got soup?

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:05 pm

The Happy Pear offers up 5 rules for perfect soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkAuLhlnRA8

By the way, I've never bought or used celeriac in my life. The word is so foreign to me I can barely pronounce it. :lol: That said, celery makes its way into many of my soups, as do onion, garlic, and carrots. These are typical/common aromatics.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: Got soup?

Postby greentea » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Great video! Got some great tips from them. I've never tried celeriac in soup either so that's next up since I've already started soup season. The only way I've had celeriac is in a remoulade which is celeriac chopped into matchsticks tossed with a mayo/mustard/lemon dressing.
greentea

Postby Bougainvillea » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Oh, I have a huge crush on these guys! Whoo hoo! Easy on the eyes and great accent - Irish? This video is yummy on several levels LOL.

I'd never heard of celeriac either.

I've been making soup stock in my pressure cooker, depending on what veggies I get for free at the food bank. Last week I got a boat load of celery. So, I just pressure cooked it plain in water and canned up a ton of it until I ran out of jars.

Then, when I make a soup, even though it's not the perfect broth - it's a good starter, and I can add carrots and whatever else I have. Celery has become so expensive in the stores, even here in CA. Upwards of $2 for a small bunch. Ouch! Even onions seem to be expensive lately. At least carrots are cheap.

Also, whenever I open a can of veggies or even beans, I usually keep the canning water, as it has the flavor of the veggie and can be added to broth.

I love soup. And I love that they are filling and low calorie because of all of the liquid. Jeff Novack talks about that in one of his lectures. Bulk and liquid are our friends :-)
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Postby greentea » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Bougainvillea wrote:Oh, I have a huge crush on these guys! Whoo hoo! Easy on the eyes and great accent - Irish? This video is yummy on several levels LOL.

They are dreamy aren't they? :lol: And I love their accent.
greentea

Postby greentea » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Five grocery stores later, I finally found Celeriac. Many soup recipes using celeriac are of the pureed variety, but I prefer brothy chunky soups so I made one based on this recipe https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/seven ... soup-30508
It's really delicious, a definite keeper.
greentea

Postby Plumerias » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:50 am

We were in the Netherlands in the spring, which, coming from Florida, truly felt like winter to us. Their stores had the most beautiful leeks and celeriac. I made a soup using, let's see if I can remember, one leek, half a celeriac diced, diced sweet potatoes, a sweet apple, and a huge amount of fresh thyme, some chopped parsley, a bit of rosemary, and salt and pepper. When it was all done, I kind of mashed it up some with the hand potato masher tool. You need to remember that the celeriac will oxidize easily, and to put it in a bowl with some water while you're prepping everything else. The other half always kept well in the fridge. Darn things are difficult to peel though, especially with rental property knives.
Plumerias

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning