Dr. McDougall Brand Products

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dr. McDougall Brand Products

Postby fiftysix » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:27 am

Our grocery store is now carrying Dr. McDougall Brand Food Products. Various soups, some single serving instant in a cup, others multiple serving soups in a box. The sodium levels in these products seem quite high, just like anything in a box. :?: Are these products considered appropriate for the McDougall diet? :?:
fiftysix

Re: Dr. McDougall Brand Products

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:36 pm

fiftysix wrote:Our grocery store is now carrying Dr. McDougall Brand Food Products. Various soups, some single serving instant in a cup, others multiple serving soups in a box. The sodium levels in these products seem quite high, just like anything in a box. :?: Are these products considered appropriate for the McDougall diet? :?:

Dr. McDougall has listed them under Dry Soup Mixes. If the sodium levels are too high for you, then don't eat them. Some people are more sodium sensitive than others. https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... oup-mixes/ Here are the ones that are lower in sodium: http://shop.rightfoods.com/Lower-Sodium ... owerSodium
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby fiftysix » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 am

So I just reviewed Jeff Novick's DVD "Should I Eat That"? Jeff's instruction with respect to Nutrition Facts labels and sodium is to avoid products where sodium in mg exceeds the number of calories per serving. The Dr.McDougall garden vegetable lower sodium soup has 60 calories and 290 mg sodium per serving. Nearly 5 times the amount of sodium that Jeff is suggesting is ok for a packaged product!

It seems that one shouldn't be eating this product. Why is it recommended?
fiftysix

Postby sirdle » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:35 am

fiftysix wrote:So I just reviewed Jeff Novick's DVD "Should I Eat That"? Jeff's instruction with respect to Nutrition Facts labels and sodium is to avoid products where sodium in mg exceeds the number of calories per serving. The Dr.McDougall garden vegetable lower sodium soup has 60 calories and 290 mg sodium per serving. Nearly 5 times the amount of sodium that Jeff is suggesting is ok for a packaged product!

It seems that one shouldn't be eating this product. Why is it recommended?

That's an excellent DVD!

Keep in mind that the purpose of the videos is to teach us how to read product labels (for processed foods), but that the real recommendation is to limit those processed foods! Keep the big picture in mind.

I keep these soups in my desk drawer at work for emergencies. Yesterday, my sodium intake was around 600 mg. Adding one of the McDougall soups would have increased my sodium content significantly, but it still would have been well within recommended limits.

I think an occasional soup, in the context of an otherwise healthy diet, will do no harm. But I would avoid eating them as everyday meals or snacks.

Jeff Novick wrote:Whole natural foods straight from the garden will provide around 300-500 mgs of sodium per day. The IOM recommended amounts are 1200-1500. The Upper Limit is 2300. So, this leaves you a little lee-way of around 700-1000 to still be within the recommended amounts and up to 1800 mgs to be under the upper limit. With no added salt coming from anywhere else, this leaves most people the ability to add around 1/2 to 3/4 tsp a day without increasing their risks.

So, first, just see how much you are getting from packaged foods.

Also, sodium is much more than BP. Excess salt is a direct cause of stomach cancer (though usually not a main issue in the USA as we do not have a high incidence). Excess salt is also related to osteoporosis. Excess salt increases your need for calcium. Salt is also related to GERD and congestive heart failure.

So, take a look and see how much you are getting in.

Sodium Levels - Use of Salt
Confused on use of sea salt
Sodium exceptions

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby patty » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:33 pm

I always wondered why Dr. McDougall would have soups with high sodium? In the islands we have a bakery that still bakes his breads and rolls. And in purchasing it is like he is still in the islands, where anything with his name resonated health. RawDad posted a question about urine urgency, eating WFBP. I identified as I hardly every put salt on anything. Anyway I did a search and here is a thread about it. Jeff and Dr McDougall both commented.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55427&p=561699&hilit=rawdad#p561699

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Hal » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Those low sodium soups in a box look delicious. I would like to try them. Is free shipping limited to certain locations, like the US?
Hal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning