Aquafaba ice cream

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Aquafaba ice cream

Postby greentea » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:39 pm

I've been meaning to try making aquafaba ice cream for a while. I saw this one which is fat free. It's really delicious and so easy to make. Like cotton candy it melts in your mouth. It's still something that I would only make as a special treat. Next up will be a mango version.
https://www.exceedinglyvegan.com/vegan- ... -ice-cream
greentea

Re: Aquafaba ice cream

Postby patty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 pm

I really enjoyed working with Aquafaba.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Vegankit » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:44 pm

greentea wrote:I've been meaning to try making aquafaba ice cream for a while. I saw this one which is fat free. It's really delicious and so easy to make. Like cotton candy it melts in your mouth. It's still something that I would only make as a special treat. Next up will be a mango version.
https://www.exceedinglyvegan.com/vegan- ... -ice-cream
Wow, that looks so easy and soooooooo good. I love having an option that I can make ahead. I make banana ice cream but I have to make it just before serving it.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Drew_ab » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 pm

It's good if you don't mind eating something that is basically pure junk. The recipe calls for 100g of icing sugar which provides 400 unhealthy calories. Meanwhile 300g of strawberries gives you 99 calories.

This means that the caloric 400 of the 499 calories this recipe has are pure garbage. That isn't healthy for anyone and really isn't even McDougall compliant.
Drew_ab

Postby patty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Drew_ab wrote:It's good if you don't mind eating something that is basically pure junk. The recipe calls for 100g of icing sugar which provides 400 unhealthy calories. Meanwhile 300g of strawberries gives you 99 calories.

This means that the caloric 400 of the 499 calories this recipe has are pure garbage. That isn't healthy for anyone and really isn't even McDougall compliant.

If I remember correctly you can cut the sugar, it is just to peak the Aquafaba. What is so fantastic about Aquafaba, is many chicks lives are saved. Vegan bakers from around the world use it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganMeringue/

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Vegankit » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Drew_ab wrote:It's good if you don't mind eating something that is basically pure junk. The recipe calls for 100g of icing sugar which provides 400 unhealthy calories. Meanwhile 300g of strawberries gives you 99 calories.

Yes, it is junk food - reserved for rare celebration days, not a daily indulgence.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby greentea » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 am

Vegankit wrote:

Yes, it is junk food - reserved for rare celebration days, not a daily indulgence.

Yeah, it's definitely a treat.
I would cut back on the sugar anyway, it was a way too sweet for me, and it has given me some ideas to play around with.
greentea

Postby patty » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:41 pm

What I found out with the Aquafaba ice cream after freezing there was still the problem with icyness. And that has been true with any of the faux ice cream/sorbets because after freezing because of no fat and oil. No creaminess. I have used tofu and coconut milk. The rememdy is to let it thaw out awhile or put it in the microwave for 30 sec or more.

That is why I have been so blown away with the lemon ice. It is ice in a positive form. I love using a whole lemon with just the ends cut off. For some reason I equate health with eating the lemon rind. It is a way to introduce a fast health ingredient. With the left over I just stored in a jar in the refrigerator. Tasted like a heavier than normal lemonade. Dr Fuhrman has shared including lemon daily decreases kidney stones. I was very happy to make the faux chocolate ice with carob and oat milk. Of course for both I used a sweetener.

Aloha, Patty
patty

Postby greentea » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 am

patty wrote:What I found out with the Aquafaba ice cream after freezing there was still the problem with icyness. And that has been true with any of the faux ice cream/sorbets because after freezing because of no fat and oil. No creaminess. I have used tofu and coconut milk. The rememdy is to let it thaw out awhile or put it in the microwave for 30 sec or more.

That is why I have been so blown away with the lemon ice. It is ice in a positive form. I love using a whole lemon with just the ends cut off. For some reason I equate health with eating the lemon rind. It is a way to introduce a fast health ingredient. With the left over I just stored in a jar in the refrigerator. Tasted like a heavier than normal lemonade. Dr Fuhrman has shared including lemon daily decreases kidney stones. I was very happy to make the faux chocolate ice with carob and oat milk. Of course for both I used a sweetener.

Aloha, Patty

That sounds similar to an Italian Granita, yum. I know what you mean by icyness. I still prefer a frozen dessert made with a base of bananas but eaten right away, like you said, if you freeze it, it gets too hard and icy.
greentea

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning