6500 VitaMix Costco

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

6500 VitaMix Costco

Postby patty » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:55 pm

They were having a VitaMix demonstration at Costco. So I asked the woman demonstrator to make the ice cream. She made lemon ice. She used agave, just enough to fill under the plades, then a banana and a lemon/skin intact with the ends cut off and quartered, then two cups of ice. Her ice of course had some water as it was sitting in a cooler. She set the VitaMix dial on frozen. It was really good. I have made two batches. Fist batch fail/ still worked it though. The second I added some cold water with 2 trays of ice. My ice trays make smaller cubes. It came out pretty close to hers. I mentioned the loudness. She shared when her machine was in a corner vs open on the counter the noise was louder. I didn't say anything but mine is in a open space. I am getting used to the noise though. I like the idea of making ice desserts.

Aloha, Patty
patty

Re: 6500 VitaMix Costco

Postby greentea » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:36 am

Yeah, it's loud. Mine sounds like a tank when I make ice cream and imagine it would be even worse with 2 cups if ice cubes added.
greentea

Postby patty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 am

greentea wrote:Yeah, it's loud. Mine sounds like a tank when I make ice cream and imagine it would be even worse with 2 cups if ice cubes added.

Tank fits the description perfectly. I swear my earlier model wasn't as loud. And I am grateful they upgraded and created a one not so loud, as for my daughter was worried about her kids making smoothies and waking their neighbors. Sound in homes echo in the islands. But the ice I never experimented with before. In making faux ice cream I always used frozen fruit by itself or with tofu/coconut milk. When I purchased the 6500 VitaMix, the demonstrator had made chocolate ice cream. He used a hot cocoa powder, with ice. Maybe with a plant milk, I might try with carob power and ice.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:47 am

greentea wrote:Yeah, it's loud. Mine sounds like a tank when I make ice cream and imagine it would be even worse with 2 cups if ice cubes added.

Tank fits the description perfectly. I swear my earlier model wasn't as loud. And I am grateful they upgraded and created a one not so loud, as for my daughter was worried about her kids making smoothies and waking their neighbors. Sound in homes echo in the islands. But the ice I never experimented with before. In making faux ice cream I always used frozen fruit by itself or with tofu/coconut milk. When I purchased the 6500 VitaMix, the demonstrator had made chocolate ice cream. He used a hot cocoa powder (I can't remember the other ingredients), with ice. Maybe with a plant milk, I might try with carob power and ice. The last demonstrator had a app, I looked and this is the only one I found perfect blend app/it is meant to be used with a scale... the recipe for chocolate ice cream recommended for a VitaMix with a strong motor:) 500g ice cubes, 240 milk,100 g granulated sugar, 35 malted milk powder, 35 g cocoa powered Unsweetened, 11 vanilla extract. In watching a QVC demo, I remember it being said, it was important to have 3 quarters of the container full, mostly of ice. I have already broken my tamper, and have reordered, but making the lemon ice I didn't need one.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 am

I used oats, water (creating plant milk), agave, carob, and ice.... Amazing very close to a fudgesicle type of taste, not yet in perfect frozen form. Melts really quickly. I will freeze and re-blend frozen for individual portions. Nice cold and refreshing dish.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby greensheep » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Call me crazy (and this won't help with neighbors, of course), but I've "stolen" my husband's safety earmuffs/hearing protection (for yard equipment, etc.) and keep them near my Vitamix so I can put them on when I use it. They happened to be sitting on the kitchen counter a while ago, so I gave it a try. It seems like I'm more willing to wait to get every last lump out of whatever I'm making now, rather than wanting to just make it "good enough" so I can turn the darn thing off and escape the noise.
greensheep

Postby patty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:30 pm

greensheep wrote:Call me crazy (and this won't help with neighbors, of course), but I've "stolen" my husband's safety earmuffs/hearing protection (for yard equipment, etc.) and keep them near my Vitamix so I can put them on when I use it. They happened to be sitting on the kitchen counter a while ago, so I gave it a try. It seems like I'm more willing to wait to get every last lump out of whatever I'm making now, rather than wanting to just make it "good enough" so I can turn the darn thing off and escape the noise.

I am still working on the ice cream. So I have ran it least three times while I figuring out to make it in one run like the demonstrators at Costco do. Ear plugs might work:) Have you looked at perfect blend recipes? They are selling a scale where you weigh and measure ingredients for nutrition. I wouldn't purchase one, but the app is free great for recipes. Perfect Blend: Interactive Blender Recipe App by Perfect Company
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/perfect ... 00663?mt=8

Aloha, Patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning