UC Davis Intergrative medicine recipes..

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

UC Davis Intergrative medicine recipes..

Postby patty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:26 pm

My grandson is away for his first year at college. So I have made a commitment to exercise 3 times a week. And when my granddaughter is testing I will include a another day with exercise. I decided to make him some cookies and I saw these recipes and will make the chocolate chip cookies, with walnuts and vegan chips. http://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/recipes/

His brother has a peanut allergy, and he had said, the first thing he was going to buy to have in his room, is a jar of peanut butter. My daughter is very strict about having any nuts or nut products in their house. Somewhere he was introduced to peanut butter cups:)

Tonight I made half of the waffle recipe, and used the Panini plates in the George Foreman grill to make cookie type wafers. I used some oat flour from some ground old fashion oats I had. They turned out pretty good. I think they will be great mixed in with the chocolate chip cookies.

I have to figure out what type of container to use to mail. Any suggestions would be great.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: UC Davis Intergrative medicine recipes..

Postby patty » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:05 pm

I ordered a vacuum food sealer.. so can make the raw cookies +.. to mail. I did the Cocoa Cookie Dough Balls and they were really easy. They can be made without the almonds, by adding more oats and the vegan chips, which I omitted with the almonds cookies.

Cocoa Cookie Dough Balls
BY AUTHOR DREENA BURTON

Dreena Burton’s Cocoa Cookie Dough Balls are made with plant-based delights such as dates, oats, almonds, and cocoa. With just 7 ingredients and a 10 minute prep time, this is an excellent recipe to get your kids involved in the kitchen so they can learn about healthful eating. By rolling them into balls, you get a perfect portion size that will satisfy your sweet tooth without the temptation to overindulge. We know that your whole family will enjoy this chocolatey dessert!

I think the suggestion of getting the children involved is great.. as these type of cookies are so easy to make. Though after eating the cookies from the below recipe I don't think it would be a win. The win is the template.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons rolled oats
1/4 cup raisins (or dates)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (+ extra for rolling/dusting)
2 tablespoons non-dairy chocolate chips (optional)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
PREP TIME
COOK TIME
SERVES
14-16
DIRECTIONS

In a food processor, process almonds until fine and crumbly.
Add remaining ingredients (except chocolate chips) and process.
It will appear as if nothing is happening at first, that the mixture is just whirring around in crumbs, but soon it will become sticky.
When it becomes a little sticky, add chocolate chips (optional) and continue to process until mixture forms a ball on the blade.
Stop machine and remove dough.
Take small scoops (1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons in size) and roll into balls.
Toss or roll the balls in extra unsweetened cocoa powder (if using), and refrigerate.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am

I changed the above recipe.. I used dates, zest from a orange, and it's juice, oats and carbo with walnuts. The other was so sweet, I left out the raisins and added more oats. These had a better after taste. I know cashews/dates and lemon really please the palate. I like chocolate and orange.. eventually I will try them without the walnuts.

Aloha, patty

I found this link for making orange zest and storing. https://delishably.com/fruits/Orange-Zest-How-To The vac u food sealer is on its way. For so long i resisted using dates as a sweetener. It really the sticking that works in making the cookie dough. I am anxious to try it with cherries and oats with carob. I found some dried cherries which I will try . The orange has worked out really great. So great, I decided to stay with walnuts or almonds as cashews are such a hook. The promise is not using any nuts is the goal.
patty

Postby greentea » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:00 am

That's a really great collection of recipes! There are quite a few that I have bookmarked to try.
greentea

Postby patty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:57 am

Yea, I used the waffle recipe for the panini. I used water for the liquid. I have waffle plates for the George Foreman grill but the difference is the panini are ceramic. I am still working on the cookies for my grandson. Children are so... finicky, as Susan from Fatfree Vegan, daughter tells her if it is kid friendly, that is if she can get her to try anything new:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:46 am

Patty - I just made these and they are AMAZING. Ended up making two batches. In the first batch, I used cashews for the nuts, and 1 tbsp roasted cocoa nibs instead of the chips, added towards the end so they didn't get pulverized. In the second batch, I used dry roasted peanuts for the nuts, and did not add chips or nibs. Both are delicious, but I definitely like the first batch more. It was great fun, and the kids helped roll the balls, but mostly were stuffing little pieces in their cheeks like chipmunks.

I look forward to playing with this recipe and coming up with new combinations, including without chocolate, since my husband doesn't eat chocolate, and adding in different dried fruits. Oh man, and maybe chocolate with peppermint for the holidays? Yum!

Thank you so much for sharing!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby patty » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Patty - I just made these and they are AMAZING. Ended up making two batches. In the first batch, I used cashews for the nuts, and 1 tbsp roasted cocoa nibs instead of the chips, added towards the end so they didn't get pulverized. In the second batch, I used dry roasted peanuts for the nuts, and did not add chips or nibs. Both are delicious, but I definitely like the first batch more. It was great fun, and the kids helped roll the balls, but mostly were stuffing little pieces in their cheeks like chipmunks.

I look forward to playing with this recipe and coming up with new combinations, including without chocolate, since my husband doesn't eat chocolate, and adding in different dried fruits. Oh man, and maybe chocolate with peppermint for the holidays? Yum!

Thank you so much for sharing!

It is so great to include the children. I don't think there is any sad type treat that can compete. I have to try using just oats/dates/carob for my grandson who is allergic to peanuts. Maybe adding coconut. My daughter has said socially it has been difficult for him. Maybe your suggestion of peppermint would do it. They stay away from all nuts for fear of cross contamination. She has introduced him to cooking.

Mahalo for posting, patty

Update..

The peppermint worked!!! I used 1 cup of dates, 2 cups of oats, carob, peppermint and enough water to make sticky enough to roll into balls. I asked my daughter which would he prefer and she had said the peppermint. They turned out great.

Mahalo, patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning