Soy Dream frozen dessert

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Soy Dream frozen dessert

Postby jld » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:22 am

I noticed that there is oil in this product. Are there any commercial soy ice cream products that do not contain oil?

I ask because I would like to make Mary McDougall's peach crisp (Starch Solution recipe section), and she suggests serving a scoop of vanilla soy ice cream with it.

Thanks for any help on this.
A clean life is its own reward.
jld

Re: Soy Dream frozen dessert

Postby patty » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:19 am

Just a plain banana sorbet would work. Freeze a couple of ripe bananas. Let them thaw a little to make it easier to blend in a blender. You can add a touch water. Frozen bananas mixed with other fruits, work well. Tofu works well in desserts, but the fat content is high.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:00 pm

If you want your banana ice cream to be more like the real thing, don't thaw those bananas or add any liquid. Chop them into chunks with a knife while frozen hard, then put them in a food processor and process until they are the consistency of real premium ice cream. Unsweetened cocoa is a good addition for chocolate ice cream. Or a bit of vanilla, or cinnamon. It takes a little more time to process. First it looks grainy, then it forms clumps, and finally the texture of real ice cream.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:01 pm

If you want your banana ice cream to be more like the real thing, don't thaw those bananas or add any liquid. Chop them into chunks with a knife while frozen hard, then put them in a food processor and process until they are the consistency of real premium ice cream. Unsweetened cocoa is a good addition for chocolate ice cream. Or a bit of vanilla, or cinnamon. It takes a little more time to process. First it looks grainy, then it forms clumps, and finally the texture of real ice cream.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby jld » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks for the responses.

But if Mary McDougall is recommending a scoop of vanilla soy ice cream with the fruit crisp, there must be one out there without oil, no?
jld

Postby greentea » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:18 pm

jld wrote:Thanks for the responses.

But if Mary McDougall is recommending a scoop of vanilla soy ice cream with the fruit crisp, there must be one out there without oil, no?

I have never seen one myself. It is recommend to use these foods sparingly or at all here, so maybe save it for a special occasion. https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ged-foods/

I have found oil free sorbets, not vanilla flavour though. As the others suggested, banana ice cream is fantastic, you should give it a try. I make mine in the vitamix which I prefer over my food processor.
greentea

Postby jld » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:28 pm

greentea wrote:
jld wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I have never seen one myself. It is recommend to use these foods sparingly or at all here, so maybe save it for a special occasion. https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ged-foods/

I have found oil free sorbets, not vanilla flavour though. As the others suggested, banana ice cream is fantastic, you should give it a try. I make mine in the vitamix which I prefer over my food processor.

I've made it. It's good. But her suggestion of vanilla soy ice cream sounded really appealing.
jld

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:28 pm

I don't know but I think all the soy and other nut-based frozen ice creams probably contain some oil. I think they use it to get the right consistency. Coconut milk based frozen ice creams like this one http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/product ... nilla-bean probably don't need added oils. But even with the added oil, the soy ice cream from the same company has less fat grams per serving than the nut or coconut milk based ones. http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/product ... my-vanilla

You could also try a vanilla soy yogurt on top of your dessert. Per serving (Silk brand), it has about the same fat grams as the soy milk ice cream, but with no added oil. You could also make a creme fraiche or sour cream like topping with silken tofu. There are various recipes for those online.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby jld » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:30 am

Very informative, Agnes, thank you. I don't think we have tried the Soy Delicious brand. Will pick some up later today.

Has anyone tried to make homemade soy ice cream? I saw a recipe that uses just tofu and non-dairy milk.
jld

Postby patty » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:46 am

jld wrote:Very informative, Agnes, thank you. I don't think we have tried the Soy Delicious brand. Will pick some up later today.

Has anyone tried to make homemade soy ice cream? I saw a recipe that uses just tofu and non-dairy milk.

Yes, I have made my own faux ice cream with homemade and commercial soy milk and tofu. Soy has a lot of fat.. so only for special occasions. The fat creates the creaminess that is why you always see soy or coconut and cashews in recipes. For awhile I was using Okinawa sweet potatoes with blueberries/coconut milk. I would freeze in individual containers then microwave for less or a minute in to take the iciness away. Have you checked out Aquafaba (the brine from beans)? It can be used also to make faux ice cream. https://health.planetfem.com/delicious- ... ice-cream/

You can also make your own soy milk/ tofu yogurt which is great for the probiotics.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby jld » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 am

patty wrote:Yes, I have made my own faux ice cream with homemade and commercial soy milk and tofu. Soy has a lot of fat.. so only for special occasions. The fat creates the creaminess that is why you always see soy or coconut and cashews in recipes. You can also make your own soy milk/ tofu yogurt which is great for the probiotics.

Aloha, patty

Patty, when you made the homemade soy ice cream, did you not add any oil? And it still turned out fine?
jld

Postby patty » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:19 pm

jld wrote:
patty wrote:Yes, I have made my own faux ice cream with homemade and commercial soy milk and tofu. Soy has a lot of fat.. so only for special occasions. The fat creates the creaminess that is why you always see soy or coconut and cashews in recipes. You can also make your own soy milk/ tofu yogurt which is great for the probiotics.

Aloha, patty

Patty, when you made the homemade soy ice cream, did you not add any oil? And it still turned out fine?

Oh... I added to the original post. No no oil. Again it is fat from the soy to create the creaminess. The fat is the hook, so that is why it is so hard to eat a 100% WFPBNO. After reading Dr. Garth Davis "Protienaholic", I don't worry so much about sugar, it is the fat:)

These are the notes i took from Jeff Novick's Shopping Video:

1. Check calories from fat against the calories -- no more than 20% fat

2. Check the sodium against the calories

3. Read the ingredients… no unhealthy fats and no oils no animal man made or tropical fats limit any added sugars.. sugar way down the list. Check the grams of sugar and sodium. Check for whole grains.

Principles
1. Percentage of calories from fat
2. Type of fat
3. Added salt
4. Added sugar
5. Unprocessed or less processed

Have fun... you will enjoy your food and it just gets better and better.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:14 pm

jld wrote:Very informative, Agnes, thank you. I don't think we have tried the Soy Delicious brand. Will pick some up later today.

I have an ice cream maker buried in the garage somewhere. I'm too lazy to make ice cream with it. I buy vegan ice cream rarely because it's expensive and goes bad before I can finish it. Banana soft serve is usually just as satisfying when I want something cold and creamy. I don't make it often, though. I'm quite lazy. 8)

I found this review for 5 vegan ice cream brands. Soy Delicious comes out on top. http://www.organicauthority.com/the-bes ... h-to-skip/

Also, I think some companies (Ben & Jerry's, Hagen Daz) don't do a vanilla flavor of non-dairy ice cream, just other flavors.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:00 pm

I did a search.. for a post that shared she used lentils instead of nuts.. it's for cheese, but I made cookies with the lentils. I used red/orange. I am sure the ground red/orange lentils with touch of water/lemon can replace cashews for the creaminess to added frozen fruit faux ice cream.

FYI - for no cashew "cheeze" use yellow lentils instead
Postby morenrgy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:41 am

Hi All,

FYI - If you have someone in the family who doesn't eat nuts and/or someone who doesn't digest beans well, then try cooked yellow lentils - or moong dal - found in the International/India section of your local grocery store.

I make a nutty "cheeze" sauce or even a fancy white sauce. Not only does this work great as a sauce - but as it thickens when it is refrigerated, you can use it as a spread for toast or sandwhices as well.

Cook the dal:

1/2 cup yellow lentils/ moong dal
1 to 2 cups of water
1 clove garlic, shredded
3 T of Nurtritional Yeast
1/4 t of salt

Begin with 1 cup of water and the shredded garlic clove, and Bring to slow boil - add water as necessary until the lentils are soft and cooked. Should be thickened up a little, not watery. Usually about 30 minutes at a slow boil. Then add the Nutrititonal Yeast and the small amount of salt.

Cook the potatoes and onions and carrot:

2-3 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 small red onion diced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced (omit the carrot if you want a white sauce)

Bring all to boil for 20 minutes, until cooked.

Blend.

When the potatoes are done, drain 2 cups of the cooking water into a measuring cup. Drain potatoes and put into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add the dal (yellow lentil) mixture and just about 1/2 - 1 cup of water until you get the consistency you like. Depending on your recipe - you can add specific herbs or spices or additional Nutritional yeast at this point - and you have a lovely no nut - no bean sauce.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby jld » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:27 am

The kids and I did a taste test Fri. night. Ds15 and I both thought the cashew milk one from So Delicious was the best. The younger boys liked the Rice Dream and Soy Dream ones.

Honestly, I thought the cashew one was as good as Haagen Dazs or Ben and Jerry's. Seriously impressed.

My husband usually refuses any vegan ice cream. But I think even he will like this cashew one.
jld

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning