oat groats vs steelcut oats

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

oat groats vs steelcut oats

Postby Willijan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:49 am

I just tried oat groats cooked in my Instant Pot. Really delicious. And much better than when they are cooked on the stove. Also much better than steelcut oats in my opinion.

One key I think is Jill Nussinow's suggestion in her book Vegan Under Pressure, to soak them. I soak them over night, then cook them in the IP for 22 minutes with nutmeg. The texture comes out really nice, none of the gooeyness of the ones I cooked on the stove.

I wanted to try these, because they are an "intact whole grain." Turned out they are tasty too.
Willijan

Re: oat groats vs steelcut oats

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Willijan wrote:I just tried oat groats cooked in my Instant Pot. Really delicious. And much better than when they are cooked on the stove. Also much better than steelcut oats in my opinion.

One key I think is Jill Nussinow's suggestion in her book Vegan Under Pressure, to soak them. I soak them over night, then cook them in the IP for 22 minutes with nutmeg. The texture comes out really nice, none of the gooeyness of the ones I cooked on the stove.

I wanted to try these, because they are an "intact whole grain." Turned out they are tasty too.

I think the Multigrain setting on the instant pot includes a soaking time if you press More. https://dontmesswithmama.com/how-to-use ... stant-pot/

I recently bought oat groats and hull-less barley and 5 grain medley (along with 4 bags of cranberry beans :unibrow: ) from Bob's Red Mill. I haven't opened the grains yet. I still don't know if I'll cook them in the instant pot or on the stove.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Yomom » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm

I love oat groats too, and prefer their texture to that of steel-cut oats. I make them every four days as one cup dry yields four servings for me. I do not soak the groats.
Yomom

Postby Qwerty988 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:45 am

I love oat groats in the morning! (I actually love them steel-cut, too.)

I like to make them fresh, so I picked up a little single-serve rice cooker. I just add 1/2 cup of groats, 1-1/2 cups water, plug it in and it's done in 20 mins or so. So good! I've never tried soaking them first.

They're so satisfying and chewy, I'm thinking of trying them as a meat substitute in a nice bean-veggie chili. :)
Qwerty988

Postby Willijan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Well, since two of you don't soak them, and still like them, I guess I'll have to give it a try. Someday when I am willing to take a chance on not liking my breakfast. :lol: But then, I felt that way the first time I made oat groats--like I might end up hating my breakfast.
Willijan

Postby Poison Ivy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:50 am

I eat oat groats too. I simply cook mine on the stove as Jeff Novick suggested to me awhile back. It takes about an hour to cook like this. I do not soak prior to cooking. I eat 1/4 of a cup every other day. They are delicious! :)
Poison Ivy

Postby calvin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:13 am

Per Wikipedia, groats are the whole grain less the hull. Steel-cut are merely sliced groats and, therefore, I would hope there is little to no nutritional loss due to cutting. There must be some, however, since you aren't going to be able to sprout the steel-cut and they may go bad sooner than the whole grain if not kept sealed. Internet sources say the hull-less but uncut groat may not sprout as well.

Before I got the Instant Pot, I cooked brown rice by bringing it to a boil, turning off the heat, leaving it coverd on the burner, letting it cool down; if not done to suit you, repeat one time and its done. Don't have to worry about boil over. Does require preparing ahead of time, though. Could do the same with groats.

"Oats any style!" That's me. :D
calvin

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning