Corn Butter ~ Delicious!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Corn Butter ~ Delicious!

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri May 26, 2017 9:19 am

This was linked from my FB feed. Tried it this morning with the modifications I list below and it is fabulosos! I spread it thickly on sourdough, kamut/caraway bread, toasted and had along side a big bowl of veg/bean curry stew. Recipe by our starch filled buddy, Chuck :D

Corn Butter

My modifications
For 10 oz bag of corn I used scant ¼ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp lemon juice, and a lot more water, maybe ¼ cup (no added salt). I did not cook it at all; just blend, spread, eat!

Add water small amount at a time until it blends nice and smooth, to thick creamy paste consistency.
GeoffreyLevens

Re: Corn Butter ~ Delicious!

Postby P monstera » Fri May 26, 2017 9:59 am

Can you use this to make a quesadilla? It sounds amazing. Maybe jazz it up with some chili powder, cumin, etc.
P monstera

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri May 26, 2017 10:04 am

P monstera wrote:Can you use this to make a quesadilla? It sounds amazing. Maybe jazz it up with some chili powder, cumin, etc.

I would think it would be great in either flour or corn tortilla, and could add beans and shredded lettuce and pico de gallo in there for a full burrito experience Hmmmm, now I'm getting hungry again :)
GeoffreyLevens

Postby P monstera » Fri May 26, 2017 11:19 am

I don't use nutritional yeast so I don't make the fake cheeses, but I still love my taco bowls and make quesadillas with pinto beans I put in the blender to give them a smooth consistency, like refried beans. But this sounds like a possible "cheese" replacement. It's the mouth feel I'm after. Thanks for posting this! That Brand New Vegan guy is a plant based food genius.
P monstera

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri May 26, 2017 11:22 am

I would say the flavor most closely resembles "creamed corn" (with garlic of course).
GeoffreyLevens

Postby MINNIE » Fri May 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Sounds wonderful :).

I don't even have any butter craving at all, in fact the thought of actual butter grosses me out.

However, I love corn in any form so this will be something new and fun.

It sounds like it would also be good as a dip for raw veggies etc.
MINNIE

Postby patty » Fri May 26, 2017 1:46 pm

P monstera wrote:I don't use nutritional yeast so I don't make the fake cheeses, but I still love my taco bowls and make quesadillas with pinto beans I put in the blender to give them a smooth consistency, like refried beans. But this sounds like a possible "cheese" replacement. It's the mouth feel I'm after. Thanks for posting this! That Brand New Vegan guy is a plant based food genius.

Actually you don't have to use nutritional yeast for faux cheese. The last time I forgot to put it in and it still tasted like cheese because of the texture, other flavorings and color. The color was from carrots, sweet potato, marinated red pepper, chipole pepper and spoon of sauce and red lentils created the texture like cheese where you could slice it into shreds.

A lot of recipes call for faux butter like Earth Balance... sounds like the corn would work:) Your quesadillas sound delicious. I don't know why I never thought of blending beans... I am such a unsharpen tool in the shed:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Fri May 26, 2017 2:01 pm

I remember someone posting about corn cakes, and they were sort of a biscuit? I imagine they would be good with the corn butter.

Aloha, patty

I tired it last night on a microwaved russet potato, it was delicious. And what was great my vegetable was the condiment.

Mahalo, for posting.
patty

Postby Willijan » Sun May 28, 2017 4:28 pm

Geoffrey,
On the BrandNewVegan site, he posted a thank you to "100% Pure McDougall." I googled it and got nothing. Do you--or anyone else--know what this is? A cookbook?
Thanks!
Willijan

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sun May 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Willijan wrote:Geoffrey,
On the BrandNewVegan site, he posted a thank you to "100% Pure McDougall." I googled it and got nothing. Do you--or anyone else--know what this is? A cookbook?
Thanks!

I believe it's a Facebook group.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Daydream » Sun May 28, 2017 11:55 pm

This sounds great. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Daydream

Postby veg tom » Mon May 29, 2017 4:34 am

I made this yesterday and its great. Its going to be a regular for me. Thanks :)
A is A
veg tom

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon May 29, 2017 4:36 am

Go to the link in the op, scroll to bottom, and thank Chuck! :D :D :D
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Mon May 29, 2017 11:17 pm

I haven't tired it but I thought I remembered posts about another corn butter, sure enough:

Mary McDougall's cornmeal butter
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Servings: makes 1 ½ cups

¼ cup cornmeal
1 ¼ cups water
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt OR 1 teaspoon no-salt seasoning mixture

Place the cornmeal in a saucepan with 1 cup of the water. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and thick. Place the cooked cornmeal in a blender jar. Add the remaining water, 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice and the seasoning. Process until very smooth, adding a bit more water, if necessary, to reach the desired spreading consistency. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired. Place into a covered container and refrigerate.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon May 29, 2017 11:37 pm

patty wrote:I haven't tired it but I thought I remembered posts about another corn butter, sure enough:

Mary McDougall's cornmeal butter
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Servings: makes 1 ½ cups

¼ cup cornmeal
1 ¼ cups water
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt OR 1 teaspoon no-salt seasoning mixture

Looks rather like breakfast porridge to me :lol: I'd just use a coarser grind like polenta and maybe a bit more of ot.
GeoffreyLevens

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning