"The Cheese Trap" by Neal Barnard...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

"The Cheese Trap" by Neal Barnard...

Postby patty » Thu May 18, 2017 7:12 pm

I finally downloaded the kindle version of "The Cheese Trap". I first downloaded the audible but I couldn't listen because of the sharing of the mistreatment of the calves and their mothers. But curiosity of the cheese recipes got to me. Disappointing that cashews is the go to ingredient:) which is ok as that is easy to change. It is really the other ingredients that are important to me.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: "The Cheese Trap" by Neal Barnard...

Postby MINNIE » Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 am

Patty, I just read the book. It was interesting, although I didn't learn anything I hadn't already known for his and Dr. McDougall's other books.

I would still recommend it for people who are new to this way of eating, and want to understand why the cheese habit is so hard to break - and why it's worth their while to do it.

I glanced at the faux cheese recipes, but they didn't interest me as something I would use. If I don't like real cheese, why do I want to make t fake cheese? Too much trouble for this lazy person :).

I live in Wisconsin AKA dairyland, where cheese-making is revered and has almost cult status. I don't think Dr. Barnard's book will be a big seller around here, unfortunately.

But I will donate a few copies to libraries in the area and hope that someone will read them and at least begin to think about the issue differently.
MINNIE

Re: "The Cheese Trap" by Neal Barnard...

Postby patty » Fri May 19, 2017 11:17 am

MINNIE wrote:Patty, I just read the book. It was interesting, although I didn't learn anything I hadn't already known for his and Dr. McDougall's other books.

I would still recommend it for people who are new to this way of eating, and want to understand why the cheese habit is so hard to break - and why it's worth their while to do it.

I glanced at the faux cheese recipes, but they didn't interest me as something I would use. If I don't like real cheese, why do I want to make t fake cheese? Too much trouble for this lazy person :).

I live in Wisconsin AKA dairyland, where cheese-making is revered and has almost cult status. I don't think Dr. Barnard's book will be a big seller around here, unfortunately.

But I will donate a few copies to libraries in the area and hope that someone will read them and at least begin to think about the issue differently.

I hear what you are saying:) And yikes... you must be so surrounded by cheese addicts. Someone posted a link to a podcast where Dr. Neal Barnard was promoting "The Cheese Trap." I think I already had downloaded it from Audible.com, but hadn't listen as yet. He shared about the pain of the separation of the calf and mother. I already had known from another one of his books, "Breaking the Food Seduction" about how mother's milk has opiates so the calf doesn't wander, which is the one I would gift. So immediately I got what the book was about. And actually what I heard in the podcast was worth the whole book. Dr. Neal Barnard used the expression of methadone cheese. In the interview I felt he was referring the commercial cheeses that you purchase in the health food store, that have a lot of oil. I purchase a lot of cookbooks as I like to look at the recipes. If my memory is correct Dr. Neal Barnard had listed the commercial cheeses, and all the recipes have a cashew base. So in essence for me, it was all the methadone cheeses. The hook is still there and that is why I would gift one of his other books.

I am too a lazy cook but actually making cheese with ground lentils is very easy:) It took watching Jeff Novick's two dvds on nuts, for me to understand there is fat in all plant foods. I am not a gourmet cook, more of a fast food junkie.

In my work as a caregiver I am reminded everyday there is no greater love then parent and child. Sometimes to get to that love it takes a lot of inside work as the greatest addiction is "me". I feel whoever you are talking too is the most important person (mother and child). And maybe that was the string that was pulled. I gift Dr. Neal Barnard's, "Power Foods for the Brain", a lot as in that book you catch his pain from Al and dementia. And I am grateful for it as "Dr. McDougall's Digestion Tune-Up", as how can anyone not identify.

A riddle that is shared a lot in AA, There are three frogs on a log. One jumps off. How many are left? Cheese has kicked my oklee. I am so grateful for the members who have posted cheese recipes, without or suggestions for nut/soy replacements. I have to smile, as I am 74 and I realize my tolerance is wearing:), and then I think of where you reside.. and yikes. I imagine Dr. Neal Barand's "The Cheese Trap", would be a great methadone hit. I have to become more educated about the IGF, to share about how our young sub teens are maturing too fast.

Mahalo, patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning