Vital Wheat Gluten..

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vital Wheat Gluten..

Postby patty » Mon May 08, 2017 12:18 pm

I finally made the sir fry with peppers, green beans, onions and the vital wheat gluten. I think I over cooked the veggies, but the vital wheat gluten worked really well. I have to try marinating it.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: Vital Wheat Gluten..

Postby Helpinghands » Mon May 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Patty,

Did you make the seitan from vital wheat gluten or did you buy the stuff?
Helpinghands

Postby patty » Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 pm

I used Robin Robertson's Vegan Without Boarders recipe and it was really easy. Prior to that I had made hot dogs with Fatfree Vegan's recipe. The additional ingredients and rolling and wrapping the seitan, took a lot of time. It was a buffet dish at the health food store that inspired me to try again. I am not great including spices, for taste, but now I know how easy it is to make it is do able. What surprises me like with the hotdog, it is really the catsup, mustard and relish that was missed. A roast beef sandwich is really tasty with the seitan, and so easy to put together. When you align with nature you become aligned, i imagine that is the pull with animal faux products that is felt. I love watching people with Alzheimer's put a puzzles of natures pictures come to life.

This is Robin Robertson's recipe, I think the inclusion of tapioca flour makes nice stretch with the dough. In the future I would cut it in half as I really only cook for myself:

SEITAN

Called “wheat-meat” because it is made from the protein part of wheat, seitan (pronounced “say-TAN”) is a versatile ingredient that can be ground, diced, cubed, or sliced. Made with vital wheat gluten flour and water (and seasonings), seitan can be purchased ready-made in the refrigerated or freezer sections of most natural food stores. However, because it can be expensive to buy and is easy to make at home, I suggest making your own. A recipe for homemade seitan is below. In addition to being a good source of protein, vitamin C, and iron, seitan is also low in fat and calories: One 4-ounce serving contains only 70 calories and 1 gram of fat.

Homemade Seitan

This recipe makes about 2 pounds that can be divided into 8-ounce portions, tightly wrapped, and frozen for later use. You can also keep seitan in the refrigerator for up to five days, either in a covered container in its cooking broth or portioned and tightly wrapped in freezer wrap and placed in freezer bags. Cooking instructions are provided to make seitan either on top of the stove or in a slow cooker. This seitan can be used in any of the recipes in this book that call for seitan.

2 cups vital wheat gluten

¼ cup nutritional yeast

3 tablespoons tapioca flour

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 ½ cups cold water 6 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil (omitted)

4 cups cold vegetable broth

In a food processor or mixing bowl, combine the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, tapioca flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and pulse or stir to mix. Add the water, 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce, and the oil and process or stir to mix well. Turn out the mixture onto a flat surface and knead for 2 minutes into a soft dough. Set the dough aside to rest for 5 minutes.

Stovetop Method: Divide the dough into four equal pieces and place them in a large pot with enough cold cooking broth to cover. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of soy sauce and bring almost to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour.

Slow Cooker Method: Divide the dough into four equal pieces and place them in a slow cooker with enough cooking broth to cover. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, cover with the lid, and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours.

After cooking (either method): Transfer the cooked seitan to a baking sheet to cool. Once cool, tightly wrap the portions of seitan, placing some of it in the freezer for later use, and the remainder in the refrigerator (whatever you plan to use within a few days). The seitan can now be cut or sliced to use in recipes.

Makes about 2 pounds seitan Note: Seitan will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days and in the freezer for several weeks. The cooking liquid may be strained and used as a broth in sauces, soups, and other recipes or frozen in a tightly covered container and used to make the next batch of seitan.

Robertson, Robin (2014-09-09). Robin Robertson's Vegan Without Borders: Easy Everyday Meals from Around the World (Kindle Locations 300-313). Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC. Kindle Edition.

This is Fatfree vegan hotdogs. The additional ingredients made a really good hot dog.

Fatfree vegan hotdogs…

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/07/ho ... -dogs.html

Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings 8
Calories 115 kcal
Author Susan Voisin
Ingredients

• 1/2 medium onion coarsely chopped
• 3 cloves garlic
• 3/4 cup cooked pinto beans well-drained
• 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
• 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
• 1/4 teaspoon mace
• 1/8 teaspoon hickory smoked salt optional but good
• 1 cup vital wheat gluten
• 1/3 cup oatmeal rolled or quick oats, uncooked
• 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
• 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
Instructions
1. Put the onion and garlic into a food processor and pulse to chop finely. Heat a small non-stick skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer onion mixture back to food processor.

2. Add the pinto beans, water, coconut aminos or soy sauce, tomato paste, and all seasonings to the food processor. Blend until it’s a thin paste.

3. Combine remaining ingredients (gluten, oatmeal, yeast, and flax) in a large mixing bowl. Add the contents of the food processor and stir until combined. If it seems that there’s not enough moisture, add another tablespoon or two of water. Knead in the bowl for about two minutes until a heavy gluten “dough” is formed.

4. Set up a steamer in a pot of water and bring the water to a boil. Cut off 8 pieces of aluminum foil or parchment paper, each about 6 inches long. Divide the gluten into 8 equal pieces. Place a piece of foil or parchment on the counter. Roll a piece of gluten between the palms of your hands until it’s about the size and shape of a hot dog. Place it on the foil/paper and roll up. Roll the tube back and forth, pressing lightly with your hands, to give it an even shape, and then twist the ends closed. Repeat with the remaining gluten to form 8 veggie hot dogs.

5. Place all the veggie dogs in the top of a steamer, cover, and steam for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping. Store the veggie dogs in a covered container in the refrigerator. Warm gently in a frying pan or microwave or on a grill before serving.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Tue May 09, 2017 5:37 pm

I found this site https://www.buzzfeed.com/mathewg5/29-as ... .ssXRRDExR
A lot of different ideas.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning