I need help in making different tasting cheeses..

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I need help in making different tasting cheeses..

Postby patty » Tue May 02, 2017 6:25 pm

I need help is using different types of spices or ingredients to make different types of cheeses. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am a real faux cheese junkie.

I love faux cheese. I love grinding the lentils to solidify the cheese. This last patch I ground the lentils, added garlic power, roasted red pepper from a jar, chipotle with adobe sauce, then added boiled ingredients/boiled water: red/orange sweet potato, carrots, red onion. I then added cumin seeds at the end. This time I might have added too much water or it could've been, which I think happened I didn't heat it enough for it to really solidify. In essence it makes a nice cheese spread and sliced. And I forgot to add the nutritional yeast, which surprisingly wasn't missed.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Re: I need help in making different tasting cheeses..

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 pm

patty wrote:I need help is using different types of spices or ingredients to make different types of cheeses. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am a real faux cheese junkie.

I love faux cheese. I love grinding the lentils to solidify the cheese. This last patch I ground the lentils, added garlic power, roasted red pepper from a jar, chipotle with adobe sauce, then added boiled ingredients/boiled water: red/orange sweet potato, carrots, red onion. I then added cumin seeds at the end. This time I might have added too much water or it could've been, which I think happened I didn't heat it enough for it to really solidify. In essence it makes a nice cheese spread and sliced. And I forgot to add the nutritional yeast, which surprisingly wasn't missed.

Aloha, patty

You could look through some of Connie's RAWsome kitchen videos for some flavor ideas. She makes faux cheese. You might have to adapt the spice/flavoring ideas to your own recipe. She did a couple recently for bleu cheese, but I didn't watch them because I never liked bleu cheese. I don't even know if I spelled it right. :duh: Here's a link to her videos at youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqDp2b ... h-g/videos

There are also vegan cheese books like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUV8CZI/re ... TF8&btkr=1
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Wed May 03, 2017 1:59 am

Mahalo Agnes, I enjoyed the video. I used to love blue cheese dressing.. and I could probably make it with yogurt cheese with the addition a spirulina or weatgrass. And of course i downloaded the book. I think I have looked at it before but because of the use of cashews i have shied away. Using the ground lentil flour is so easy and I can get the same results as with agar agar. Now I can just add the seasonings.

I will have to watch more of Connie's RAWsome's kitchen videos... Today I picked up some vital wheat gluten to make veggie dogs, and on the buffet line they had peppers and faux steak. It was delicious. I am sure she has some great ideas about seasoning the faux meat.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby greentea » Wed May 03, 2017 5:15 pm

This is so interesting. I don't know if I missed it, but are you grinding red lentils? Do you know approximate amounts you are using? And how long do you cook it for?
greentea

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed May 03, 2017 5:36 pm

greentea wrote:This is so interesting. I don't know if I missed it, but are you grinding red lentils? Do you know approximate amounts you are using? And how long do you cook it for?

If you haven't seen it, here's Vegan Richa's vegan nacho cheese using chickpea flour. http://www.veganricha.com/2014/09/nut-f ... lices.html

She also has one for green goddess gouda made with white beans that offers ingredient variations. http://www.veganricha.com/2014/03/green ... an-st.html

I imagine you could use just about any bean/lentil flour for slight flavor variation. Most of beans and lentil dishes thicken up as they sit and cool.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Vegankit » Wed May 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Patty, if you are patient and serious about making vegan cheese, the best book I've found is Artisan Vegan Cheese – by Miyoko Schinner. I haven't made any of her cheeses but I've looked at several vegan cheese books. Her nondairy cheeses retain the complexity and sharpness of their dairy counterparts because she allows them to ferment.

I have her Japanese Cooking: Contemporary and Traditional vegan cook book that I enjoy, especially her recipe for Japanese curry. Most of her recipes are McDougall compliant.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby patty » Wed May 03, 2017 10:02 pm

greentea wrote:This is so interesting. I don't know if I missed it, but are you grinding red lentils? Do you know approximate amounts you are using? And how long do you cook it for?

The recipe I have pretty much been following viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55119

I had remembered Vegan Richa http://www.veganricha.com/2014/09/nut-f ... lices.html created a cheese that could be sliced with chickpea flour. And maybe somewhere I had read lentil flour could do the same. In the past I made Anja's cheese with agar agar that it came out more solid. You could actually grate it. https://cookingwithplants.com/recipe/ve ... -nuts-soy/ Using the lentil flour is much easier. I don't know if I cooked this batch longer if it would solidify more. I grind the lentils in the VitaMix. It is interesting I totally forgot the nutritional yeast, and it is not missed.

You can see it sliced, though if I took a knife to it, it would spread..

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Wed May 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Vegankit wrote:Patty, if you are patient and serious about making vegan cheese, the best book I've found is Artisan Vegan Cheese – by Miyoko Schinner. I haven't made any of her cheeses but I've looked at several vegan cheese books. Her nondairy cheeses retain the complexity and sharpness of their dairy counterparts because she allows them to ferment.

I have her Japanese Cooking: Contemporary and Traditional vegan cook book that I enjoy, especially her recipe for Japanese curry. Most of her recipes are McDougall compliant.

Yes, Agnes suggested it and I downloaded the kindle version. Now that I have the lentil flour base, I know I can substitute the cashews. Agnes also posted a link to Connoe's RAWsome's site, where she made a faux blue cheese. She also used cashews, but suggested wheatgrass or spirulina for the blue cheese flavor. I will have to check out Miyoko's recipes and see if she has a blue cheese. I enjoyed the soy yogurt cheese that I made and I imagine with the blue cheese flavor it would be great.

Mahalo, patty
patty

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu May 04, 2017 12:56 am

Miyoko also has web sites and sells her cheeses online. You can see the ingredients in her different cheeses that she sells. I think they all use cashews. At least the ones I saw did.
http://miyokoskitchen.com/blog/
http://miyokoskitchen.com/products-miyoko/ (see ingredients at this link)

I also found this one with a recipe for a cultured blue cheese. It uses penicillium roqueforti fungus and probiotics. It also uses cashews. And oil. It takes about 5 weeks to get covered in mold. It would take me longer than that to get up the nerve to eat it. :lol: :wink: http://fullofplants.com/vegan-blue-cheese/

:mrgreen:
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Thu May 04, 2017 10:11 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Miyoko also has web sites and sells her cheeses online. You can see the ingredients in her different cheeses that she sells. I think they all use cashews. At least the ones I saw did.
http://miyokoskitchen.com/blog/
http://miyokoskitchen.com/products-miyoko/ (see ingredients at this link)

I also found this one with a recipe for a cultured blue cheese. It uses penicillium roqueforti fungus and probiotics. It also uses cashews. And oil. It takes about 5 weeks to get covered in mold. It would take me longer than that to get up the nerve to eat it. :lol: :wink: http://fullofplants.com/vegan-blue-cheese/

:mrgreen:

I remember looking a Miyoko's site before and because of the cashews I had decided not to download her book. Now that I have a new base, the lentil flour, I think the recipes will work minus the nuts. And she has some recipes with soy yogurt, which I would use as I have enjoyed making with probotics.

She has this recipe for rejuvelac

An easily made fermented beverage filled with probiotics, rejuvelac is the primary culturing agent for many of the recipes in this book. Because it will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator, it’s a good idea to always have some on hand so you can get a head start on cheese making. Depending on the temperature in your house, you’ll need to allow three to five days for the rejuvelac to be fully cultured. Rejuvelac is also available commercially at many natural food stores.

REJUVELAC

MAKES ABOUT 5 CUPS

1 cup whole grains (such as brown rice, Kamut berries, millet, oat groats, quinoa, rye berries, wheat berries, or a combination)

6 cups filtered water

1. Soak and sprout the grains. Put the grains in a 1-quart glass jar and add water to cover. Place a double layer of cheesecloth over the mouth of the jar and secure it with a rubber band. Let the grains soak for 8 to 12 hours. Drain, then add just enough water to moisten the grains but not so much that they are immersed in water. Put the jar in a warm place out of direct sunlight for 1 to 3 days and rinse the grains once or twice a day, each time draining well and then adding just enough fresh water to moisten them. Continue this process until the grains have begun to sprout (they will have little tails emerging).

2. Culture the rejuvelac. Divide the sprouted grains equally between two 1-quart glass jars. Pour 3 cups of the filtered water into each jar. Cover each jar with fresh cheesecloth and secure it with rubber bands. Put the jars in a warm place out of direct sunlight for 1 to 3 days. The water will turn cloudy and white, and the liquid will have a slightly tart flavor, somewhat like lemon juice. Strain the liquid into clean glass jars and discard the grains.

STORAGE NOTES: Covered and stored in the refrigerator, Rejuvelac will keep for about 4 weeks.

Per ounce: calories: 108, protein: 4 g, fat: 8 g, saturated fat: 1 g, carbohydrate: 6 g, sodium: 92 mg, calcium: 8 mg

Schinner, Miyoko (2013-03-14). Artisan Vegan Cheese (p. 9). Book Publishing Company. Kindle Edition.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Thu May 04, 2017 4:27 pm

For lunch I had a Ruben sandwich. Oroweat rye bread, sauerkraut, faux cheese and toasted on a a George Foreman Grill and Broil.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby greentea » Tue May 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Patty, I made Anja's cheeze on the weekend. It was great. I used regular paprika because I didn't want the smokey flavour. It made quite a bit so I froze most of it to use in future. I cut it in small cubes to use on home made pizza. It's delicious.
I will experiment, and try to make your lentil flour version in the future.
greentea

Postby patty » Tue May 09, 2017 6:55 pm

greentea wrote:Patty, I made Anja's cheeze on the weekend. It was great. I used regular paprika because I didn't want the smokey flavour. It made quite a bit so I froze most of it to use in future. I cut it in small cubes to use on home made pizza. It's delicious.
I will experiment, and try to make your lentil flour version in the future.

That's great. I still have a lot of agar agar:) what I liked with Anja's recipe was the use of the red/orange sweet potato and the roasted red pepper (from a jar). I used them in my last batch of lentil cheese. I am a real cheese addict so I am really happy with the faux cheeses. Especially now I made a turn with making faux meat. Prior I had been using tofu but because of the fat I decided to stay away from it and with the faux cheese and meat I am a happy camper.

Aloha, patty

It would be good to note the difference between the melting of the two cheeses. If my memory serves me right Anja's cheese melts and shreds better. I think to the taste of the lentils offers more then the agar agar. I liked putting the cumin seeds in. I purchased a lot of seeds for India dishes that I have never had success in dry roasting.
patty

Postby Vegankit » Wed May 10, 2017 5:17 am

Patty, your Ruben sandwich looks so deliciously cheezy.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby patty » Thu May 11, 2017 8:45 am

Vegankit wrote:Patty, your Ruben sandwich looks so deliciously cheezy.

I cooked that sandwich openfaced and then closed it. In making it again I wasn't able to get the same effect. It might had been because I used the panini plates and left it open vs the flat plate that comes with the George Foreman Broil and Grill. I don't think I changed the tempture. The other reason that I couldn't get the same toasted melted effect could have been the faux cheese came from the first container? I will try making the sandwich with the open face on the panini plates.

Aloha, patty
patty

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning