I need help in making different tasting cheeses..

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I need help in making different tasting cheeses..

Postby patty » Thu May 11, 2017 8:49 am

Vegankit wrote:Patty, your Ruben sandwich looks so deliciously cheezy.

I cooked that sandwich openfaced and then closed it. In making it again I wasn't able to get the same effect. It might had been because I used the panini plates and left it open vs the flat plate that comes with the George Foreman Broil and Grill. I don't think I changed the tempture. The other reason that I couldn't get the same toasted melted effect could have been the faux cheese came from the first container? I will try making the sandwich with the open face on the panini plates. When closed the cheese melts and leaks out. Last night I tired using the air Fryer. The bread toasted. The cheese didn't melt. I left the sauerkraut out.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: I need help in making different tasting cheeses..

Postby patty » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:38 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:
patty wrote:I need help is using different types of spices or ingredients to make different types of cheeses. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am a real faux cheese junkie.

I love faux cheese. I love grinding the lentils to solidify the cheese. This last patch I ground the lentils, added garlic power, roasted red pepper from a jar, chipotle with adobe sauce, then added boiled ingredients/boiled water: red/orange sweet potato, carrots, red onion. I then added cumin seeds at the end. This time I might have added too much water or it could've been, which I think happened I didn't heat it enough for it to really solidify. In essence it makes a nice cheese spread and sliced. And I forgot to add the nutritional yeast, which surprisingly wasn't missed.

Aloha, patty

You could look through some of Connie's RAWsome kitchen videos for some flavor ideas. She makes faux cheese. You might have to adapt the spice/flavoring ideas to your own recipe. She did a couple recently for bleu cheese, but I didn't watch them because I never liked bleu cheese. I don't even know if I spelled it right. :duh: Here's a link to her videos at youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqDp2b ... h-g/videos

There are also vegan cheese books like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUV8CZI/re ... TF8&btkr=1
patty

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning