Klunker's Loaded Mashed Potato Patties...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Klunker's Loaded Mashed Potato Patties...

Postby patty » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:00 pm

patty

Re: Klunker's Loaded Mashed Potato Patties...

Postby Willijan » Wed May 03, 2017 2:09 pm

The recipe sounds delicious. I wonder how they would do baked in the oven on parchment paper? There's the possibility of less tending that way.
Willijan

Postby Helpinghands » Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 pm

These look very much like potato dumpling recipes other than those are put by the spoonful and cooked in water until they float. I'm thinking that for that application you'd have to add more starch to keep them holding together. I save bean liquid from canned beans and use it for a binder instead of eggs. The spice combination looks interesting.
Helpinghands

Postby Willijan » Sat May 06, 2017 9:55 am

Helpinghands wrote:These look very much like potato dumpling recipes other than those are put by the spoonful and cooked in water until they float. I'm thinking that for that application you'd have to add more starch to keep them holding together. I save bean liquid from canned beans and use it for a binder instead of eggs. The spice combination looks interesting.

Interesting ideas. The dumplings could be very good with many variations of seasonings. I'll have to try the bean liquid as a binder, too.

I made the original Klunkers' Potato Patties from Patty's post today, pretty much the way he wrote his recipe. They were really good. I used less spice, less salt, and I used brown rice flour for the starch.

The only problem I had was they stuck to the pan, even though I followed his directions. I cooked one for 13 minutes, and it never slid, just stuck tightly to the pan. This happens to me on every nonstick pan recipe I try, and with different pans over the years. This is why I never get to eat pancakes.

However, I'm going to try baking the rest of them in the oven instead, on parchment paper. Plus, even without a crispy crust, just heated, they are delicious.
Willijan

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat May 06, 2017 5:33 pm

With the various vegs and spices, it resembles Indian kofta, except kofta are round like a meatball or dumpling. Generally I think kofta use chickpea flour. They're usually fried or browned and then served in gravy. http://plantbasedonabudget.com/recipe/v ... ato-sauce/ For comparison, here's a potato dumpling that's just potatoes, flour and salt. http://www.food.com/recipe/german-potat ... ings-48050

I remember potato patties from way back in the day that were made with leftover mashed potatoes. You'd mix in chopped onion, an egg, and some flour. Salt and pepper. Shape into patties and fry. The crispy outside was fine, and the onion flavor was good, but I never liked the mushy potato-flour pasty texture inside of them. And of course they were greasy. I think these klunkers would be better--and have more textures inside than just flour-potato-onion mush. I bet they'd also be good with pav bhaji vegs and spice. :unibrow: I do love me some pav bhaji.

I don't know but rubbing onion over your pan might help prevent potato patties from sticking. Anyway, it works on cast iron when making dosa. Otherwise, I'd say use parchment and bake them.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Sun May 07, 2017 12:26 am

Willijan wrote:
Helpinghands wrote:These look very much like potato dumpling recipes other than those are put by the spoonful and cooked in water until they float. I'm thinking that for that application you'd have to add more starch to keep them holding together. I save bean liquid from canned beans and use it for a binder instead of eggs. The spice combination looks interesting.

Interesting ideas. The dumplings could be very good with many variations of seasonings. I'll have to try the bean liquid as a binder, too.

I made the original Klunkers' Potato Patties from Patty's post today, pretty much the way he wrote his recipe. They were really good. I used less spice, less salt, and I used brown rice flour for the starch.

The only problem I had was they stuck to the pan, even though I followed his directions. I cooked one for 13 minutes, and it never slid, just stuck tightly to the pan. This happens to me on every nonstick pan recipe I try, and with different pans over the years. This is why I never get to eat pancakes.

However, I'm going to try baking the rest of them in the oven instead, on parchment paper. Plus, even without a crispy crust, just heated, they are delicious.

How I solved the pancake drama, is I only make dollar size pancakes. Those seem to cook faster and sync with my patience in turning. For some reason I can't gauge when the whole larger pancake is cooked enough prior to turning. At our local market they were promoting a local pancake mix. And they had a no stick buffet electric type pan. And the girl was doing dollar pancakes. Of course I questioned if there was any oil? My personality is where sand has to be cement to walk on it. My thinking is very abstract then I have a quirk I have to see it to believe it. My history of expectations with non-stick pans is humiliating. There is one store I am sure I am not welcome:) Parchment paper in the oven sounds good. They have non-stick mats too. I haven't tired making Klunkers' potato patties because making mash potatoes isn't easy for me. The last time I made them I over mashed them. i put them in a blender. I think I have to mash them manually. But try the dollar size pancakes. I ground up a lot of oats for flour. After seeing your post I made some.. first batch stuck:) so I had to rethink it:) and make sure the whole top surface appeared cooked.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sun May 07, 2017 2:23 am

I've always used a potato masher like this one.

We like our mashed potatoes a bit rustic. For a smoother mashed (whipped) potato, you could use an electric hand mixer. I've never owned or used a ricer.

http://www.finecooking.com/article/pota ... -vs-masher

I saw someone online somewhere say they put the cooked potatoes in a plastic bag and then pressed/smashed them with a mallet. Where there's a will there's a way. :mrgreen:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Sun May 07, 2017 2:33 am

I never saw a ricer but I have a masher. The link shared a few tips on how to use one, mashing then twisting the masher, adding the liquid slowly. i like the idea of keeping the skins on.

Mahalo Agnes, patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning